Topics

Thunderbird saying unknown

Hi it is a calendar add-on to Thunderbird similar to the calendar feature in Outlook.

On 11 Mar 2016, at 02:39, Rosemarie Chavarria <knitqueen2007@...> wrote:

What is lightning and what does it do?

On 3/10/2016 6:19 PM, Shaun Everiss wrote:
Yes I have turned off lightning, is lightning any good as such?

On 11/03/2016 3:14 p.m., Tyler Spivey wrote:
IIRC, Thunderbird comes with Lightning. Turn it off in the addons.
On 3/10/2016 6:13 PM, Bhavya shah wrote:
Hi,
I too recently installed Mozilla Thunderbird and have been
experimenting with it since yesterday.
Thanks for bring this topic up, Brandon, and for the various tips by others.
Some more occurences of 'unknown' in Thunderbird are when you tab
around the main screen or page of Thunderbird, where two or three
unknowns appear subsequently in tab order, before the event related
buttons.
I also must disable whatever I can and see if Thunderbird actually
increases my efficiency or productivity in any way as opposed to my
web Basic HTML interface of GMail, which I may eventually transition
from to the Standard View.
Thanks.

On 3/11/16, Pete <emac00@...> wrote:

Hi
two more things, I do is uncheck Thunderbird options general Thunderbird
start page and I select in composition advanced open messages in a new
window radio button.

Pete

Pete <emac00@...>

Hi
OK These are all in the view menu in Thunderbird:
I looked again in the toolbars and I don't have any thing checked in there.
in lay out the only things I have checked is:
clasic view and folder pane
in folders I have all radial checked
I have none checked in the today pane
I have ascending and date checked in the sort by
calendar is unavailable as is tasks
in threads all is checked
in headers normal is checked
in message body as has original HTML checked
display attachments inline is checked
zoom has text only checked
character encoding sub menu is unavailable

OK in tools press enter on options
general:
show start page when Thunderbird launches is not checked
show a tray icon is not checked

display:
formatting:
I set set font size to 16 in here
advanced:
selected open message in a new window
close message window / tab on move or delete is checked
composition:
general:
changed variable with font to fixed with font in here
spelling:
unchecked check spelling as you type in here

I think I got most all of the changes I made. There might have been some other changes I made can't say for sure now what they are / were.
Let me know how it works?
Good luck!
Pete

I have those things unchecked too.

On 3/10/2016 6:04 PM, Pete wrote:

Hi
two more things, I do is uncheck Thunderbird options general Thunderbird start page and I select in composition advanced open messages in a new window radio button.

Pete

Thanks for the info on how to get rid of all of those extra things
that you have to tab through.
I was keen to use TB to replace my gMail webmail. The things that I
really want is to be able to view conversations as in gMail and to
hear the first line or two of the email so I don't have to open the
email if I don't want to.
I experimented with preview pane and didn't seem to figure out how to work it.
I also downloaded the conversations add-on and installed it ... and I
can't figure it out either. It seems to have merged my two gMail
accounts and it takes forever to get through the different folders to
get to the labels/sub folders that I have for each account.
Has anyone else been able to get it to work? Or does anyone have a
tutorial that points to streamlining your TB view and or one making TB
work similarly to gMail's webmail?

thanks,
Melissa

On 3/9/16, Chris Mullins <cjmullins29@...> wrote:
Using the layout submenu in the View menu, I have set Tbird to display only
the folder list and the currently selected folder displaying the list of
messages, which is about as bare bones as it gets. Pressing enter on a
message opens the body, esc to return to the list. In the Layout sub-menu I
only have the Vertical view, and folder list items checked. The tab key
just loops arount between the tab control of the currently selected folder,
the selected folder in the folder treeview and the currently select message
in the list window. The listed messages details are accessed using the
table navigation keys Control Alt Arrows. It’s a while since I set it up,
there may be other settings I made to get it to this state, which I did to
make it easy for a friend of mine to use. NVDA usually says unknown when
it encounters a control or unlabelled icon it can’t interpret. I get this
after pressing enter on a message in the list, when the message body opens
but I’ve not experienced any difficulties using it.

For completeness, Control n to compose a new message, Control enter to send
it.

Cheers

Chris