Topics

where is user config for add-ins?

Dan Beaver

HI,

I am trying to install the ocr add-in so I can see if it will handle the pdf I am having trouble with. However, I can find system config but no user config as the instructions say to download it to.

Where is this folder?

Thanks.

Dan Beaver

Dan,

         I've followed either of the installation instruction techniques noted at the beginning of the NVDA Community Add-Ons Website.  The second paragraph on that page gives a pretty clear set of steps for both techniques.  You have to download the add-in and save it to a location of your choice as the first step.  If you want to use the NVDA Add-Ons Manager that's under the NVDA Context Menu, Tools, Manage Add-Ons.  If you want to use the "select and hit return" that simply requires NVDA to be running once you have the add-on file selected and hit return to install it NVDA starts asking the questions from there.  I find the latter method preferable.

         I have never had to concern myself with where the add-on file that I download is located before installing it.

Brian

Roger Stewart

This seems to only work for an installed version of nvda. If you are just running a portable copy on a machine which doesn't have nvda installed, then you'll need to use the longer way to install.

Roger

On 3/10/2016 3:46 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:

[...]

Nope, I am running an installed NVDA.  I don't use portable versions.

Thanks though,

Dan Beaver

On 3/10/2016 5:08 PM, Roger Stewart wrote:
[...]

Well Brian, that is just my problem.

I would rather use the more direct method but my system isn't asking if I want to save or run download. I have tried to find where to change this so it will give the option to run but I guess my brain is not working right now.

In trying to use the other method it says to save the package to the user config folder under NVDA.  I can't find that folder.  I see a system config folder but no user config.

I am running NVDA 2016.1 under windows 10 on a very fast laptop.  Iam running the newest firefox as my browser.

Thanks.

Dan Beaver

On 3/10/2016 4:46 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:

[...]

           I believe we're "talking past each other" and you're making this harder on yourself than it need be.  I will step by step you through downloading and installing the OCR add-on.  The following presumes that NVDA is already running and will stay so throughout the process.

  1. Navigate to the NVDA community add-ons page, find the OCR add-on link, and click it to get to that add-on webpage.
  2. On the OCR add-on web page, there is a download link for the latest version of the add-on, at this point in time that's version 0.20120529.01.  Click on that link.
  3. When the Save As dialog comes up, navigate to wherever you wish to save the add-on file.  I saved mine to desktop.  (The OCR add-on is about 70 MB in size and takes a while to complete downloading).
  4. Open the folder where you saved the add-on file by whatever technique you prefer and select the add-on file you downloaded.
  5. Hit Enter.  A dialog from NVDA comes up asking if you're really sure you want to install the add-on.  Hit the Yes button.
  6. Wait for the installing add-on progress dialog to complete.  NVDA will then pop up a dialog stating that the add-on has been installed and must be restarted to take effect and asking if you'd like to restart now.  Hit the Yes button.  You will then hear the NVDA shutting down chimes followed immediately by the NVDA starting up chimes.
  7. NVDA now has the add-on installed and ready for use.

If you wish to verify that OCR is installed bring up the NVDA context menu, choose Tools, then choose Manage Add-Ons.  You will be presented with a dialog listing all the add-ons you have installed and OCR should be in that list.

Brian

Postscript:  The exact same technique worked just fine for my portable copy of NVDA, too.  I have a different voice and verified that the add-on is indeed resident in the user config folder where NVDA places it as part of the install process that is on my removable media.  It is not necessary for the NVDA user to deal with the user config folder at all in relation to installing an add-on.

Firefox doesn't have a run option.  Download the file, find it and press enter as you would run any file.  If you have NVDA installed, Windows should know what to do and the installer should start.