From: Gene [mailto:gsasner@...]
Sent: March-10-16 6:55 PM
To: nvda@groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] importing my favourites help?

Open Internet explorer and then open the file menu.  Look through the items and you will find an item that says import and export.

Press enter.

I don't know how much further instruction you may need but it is a wizard or it is like a wizard and you can look around and work through it.

When you first open it, you are in a list of radio buttons.  Down arrow to export to a file then tab through the dialog to find the next buttton.  I can go through the entire procedure if necessary but you may not need further help.

Sent: Thursday, March 10, 2016 5:20 PM

Hi guys before I retire my windows 7 laptop how can I export my internet explorer favourites and transfer them to my windows 10 laptop?  Obviously I need a thumb drive and I have one but what do I do, can anyone give me steps on how to.

Regards

Zoe

Zoe,

         You will need some external media whether an SD card or a USB jump drive.  Whatever can be plugged in to both computers.

Here are the steps, presuming IE 11 on both sides:

On the "old computer side":

  1. Open IE 11, File Menu, Import and Export Option.
  2. In Import/Export Settings dialog select the "Export to a file" radio button, then hit the Next button at the bottom of the dialog.
  3. The "What would you like to export?" step comes next.  Check whichever of the checkboxes you wish.  Favorites are, of course, one of the checkboxes.  Hit the Next button at the bottom of the dialog.
  4. The next step asks you where you'd like to export from.  I never touch this as it uses the default location for favorites to export from.  Hit the Next button.
  5. The next step asks where you want to save the exported bookmarks.  The default will be your documents folder in a file called bookmark.html.  If you wish to browse for another location and/or specify a different file name hit the Browse button and do so.  I generally go with the default and hit the Export button on the bottom of this dialog.
  6. The Favorites will Export (unless something goes wrong) and you'll be presented with another dialog with the Finish button. Hit it.
  7. Copy or cut the bookmark.html file from your documents folder and save it on your external media.

On the "new computer" side, insert the external media you've copied the bookmarks.html file on to in the new computer.

  1. Open IE11, File Menu, Import and Export Option.
  2. In Import/Export Settings dialog select the "Import from a file" radio button, then hit the Next button at the bottom of the dialog.
  3. The next step asks what you'd like to import.  Presuming you're only doing Favorites check the Favorites checkbox.  Hit the Next button.
  4. The next dialog asks where you'd like to import the Favorites from.  Here you will hit the browse button and then navigate to the external media where your bookmark.html is located, select it, then hit the Open button.  This will place the full path to that file in the dialog text box so you can now hit the Next button.
  5. The next step asks you where you'd like to import to.  I never touch this as it uses the default location for favorites.  Hit the Import button.
  6. The final dialog should tell you that you've successfully imported and there is a Finish button at the bottom of the dialog.  Hit this.
  7. You're done, and should have your favorites in IE on your new machine.

Brian

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, Zoe,

I'll ask my nephew Adrian for you. I've never imported all my stuff from an
old computer to a new one but I'll ask him for you.

Rosemarie

Zoe Fiogkos <fiogkos@...>