From: Pete [mailto:emac00@...]
Sent: Friday, March 11, 2016 2:31 PM
To: nvda@groups.io
Subject: [nvda] n v d a name change

The desk top in newer versions of Microsoft windows is some thing m s
seems to be trying to get rid of leaving us all with a start screen. A
name change from n v d a might be in order. May be some thing like non
visual windows access n v w a. Just putting this out to hear what n v d
a users think.
Pete

Darren Duff <duff379@...>

I say keep it as is.

Darren Duff.

Host of the Duff Domain on http://www.95-the-mix.com

amateur radio station KK4AHX.

Follow me on twitter @darren_duff

friend me on face book http://www.facebook.com/DarrenLDuff.

primary E-mail duff379@...

Mobile E-mail mobileduff5@...

skype duffman31279

On 3/11/2016 2:31 PM, Pete wrote:

The desk top in newer versions of Microsoft windows is some thing m s seems to be trying to get rid of leaving us all with a start screen. A name change from n v d a might be in order. May be some thing like non visual windows access n v w a. Just putting this out to hear what n v d a users think.
Pete

agree
leave it the way it is

On 3/11/2016 2:31 PM, Pete wrote:

The desk top in newer versions of Microsoft windows is some thing m s seems to be trying to get rid of leaving us all with a start screen. A name change from n v d a might be in order. May be some thing like non visual windows access n v w a. Just putting this out to hear what n v d a users think.
Pete

Roger Stewart

Keep it as is! My desktop hasn't gone anywhere in Win 10. I have it running very much as it did in Win 7.

Roger

On 3/11/2016 2:31 PM, Pete wrote:

The desk top in newer versions of Microsoft windows is some thing m s seems to be trying to get rid of leaving us all with a start screen. A name change from n v d a might be in order. May be some thing like non visual windows access n v w a. Just putting this out to hear what n v d a users think.
Pete

.

Misty Dawn Bradley <mistydbradley@...>

I agree. I always thought of the D for desktop in NVDA as being a desktop computer rather than the desktop on the computer screen itself, so I think the name still applies accurately. I think it is a tad bit shorter too than NVWA as far as saying it.
Misty

--
Misty Bradley

Rosemarie Chavarria

I second that. It started out as NVDA so let's keep it that way.

On 3/11/2016 2:31 PM, Pete wrote:

The desk top in newer versions of Microsoft windows is some thing m s seems to be trying to get rid of leaving us all with a start screen. A name change from n v d a might be in order. May be some thing like non visual windows access n v w a. Just putting this out to hear what n v d a users think.
Pete

Ben J. Bloomgren

Remember as well that the term desktop has several meanings. It doesn't just mean that it gives you access to the desktop of your computer.

Ben

On 3/11/2016 2:31 PM, Pete wrote:

The desk top in newer versions of Microsoft windows is some thing m s seems to be trying to get rid of leaving us all with a start screen. A name change from n v d a might be in order. May be some thing like non visual windows access n v w a. Just putting this out to hear what n v d a users think.
Pete

Arlene

Yeah, keep it the same.

On 3/11/2016 2:31 PM, Pete wrote:

The desk top in newer versions of Microsoft windows is some thing m
s seems to be trying to get rid of leaving us all with a start
screen. A name change from n v d a might be in order. May be some
thing like non visual windows access n v w a. Just putting this out
to hear what n v d a users think.
Pete

.

Lino Morales

Yeah. Its been NVDA for almost 10 years. Why change it now. Here's to another great 10 years to NVDA.

On 3/11/2016 2:31 PM, Pete wrote:

The desk top in newer versions of Microsoft windows is some thing m s seems to be trying to get rid of leaving us all with a start screen. A name change from n v d a might be in order. May be some thing like non visual windows access n v w a. Just putting this out to hear what n v d a users think.
Pete

David Moore

Hi,
Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 have the desktop just as much as earlier versionsof Windows. I think that the name, NVDA is fine the way it is. Windows 10 boots to the desktop by default, and Windows 8.1 can be changed to boot up in the desktop. So, there is no difference. You wwill always have the desktop.

The desk top in newer versions of Microsoft windows is some thing m s
seems to be trying to get rid of leaving us all with a start screen. A
name change from n v d a might be in order. May be some thing like non
visual windows access n v w a. Just putting this out to hear what n v d
a users think.
Pete

Point me to something about getting Windows 8.1 to boot into the
desktop. If someone can help me, I appreciate it.

Arlene

I agree. I say leave it the way it is! it's short and simple!

On 3/11/2016 2:31 PM, Pete wrote:

The desk top in newer versions of Microsoft windows is some thing m
s seems to be trying to get rid of leaving us all with a start
screen. A name change from n v d a might be in order. May be some
thing like non visual windows access n v w a. Just putting this out
to hear what n v d a users think.
Pete

Patrick Le Baudour

Hi,

I have one argument for a name change, it would keep me from having to type nvda -nvidia in google searches when i don't whant those annoying results about nvidia graphic cards. But I admit it isn't a strong reason, just thought i'd mention it.

-- Patrick

Le 12/03/2016 01:32, Lino Morales a écrit :
Yeah. Its been NVDA for almost 10 years. Why change it now. Here's to
another great 10 years to NVDA.

same here

On 3/11/2016 2:31 PM, Pete wrote:

The desk top in newer versions of Microsoft windows is some thing m
s seems to be trying to get rid of leaving us all with a start
screen. A name change from n v d a might be in order. May be some
thing like non visual windows access n v w a. Just putting this out
to hear what n v d a users think.
Pete

.

.

Vivien Palcic <vivienpalcic@...>

I say leave it as is.

Vivien

On 3/11/2016 2:31 PM, Pete wrote:

  The desk top in newer versions of Microsoft windows is some thing m
s seems to be trying to get rid of leaving us all with a start
screen.  A name change from n v d a might be in order. May be some
thing like non visual windows access n v w a.  Just putting this out
to hear what n v d a users think.
  Pete

.

.

Not sure this is the case. It might be for mobile devices, as it is a little stupid to call a tiny rectangle a desktop, but for larger devices its really difficult to see how one could call it something else. After all given that it is not truly a desktop, just some kind of name to approximate what it does, its silly to change it, but this will never stop Microsoft of course.
Personally, from experience of the past, it is a bad thing to change your name. Thus the best plan might be to keep nvda, and call it non visual device access instead, as Device is a lot more vague and could apply to almost anything you want!
So if somebody makes a pair of computing gloves, or one that fits inside your ear, it cold still apply!
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-