focus on window with nvda

William Brandes

hi. question. how to focus on a window that pops up when clicking on
some link in the main window?

i find this often when i login to a website. or, also when working
with the kindle book downloader in my kindle management on amazon.

in both cases after clicking on a link another window pops up which i
can find rummaging around with a mouse, but, must be a way to do this
with just a keyboard.

any help would be appreciated ... william

greg@...

Sir,

I am a photographer / web developer / virtual tour producer and am trying to learn how to optimize my web projects for web accessibility when using a screen reader like NVDA.  In my research so far, I have learned that when viewing a project like this: http://www.photographyoptions.net/images/laurel/tour.html, the Page Up / Page Down / End /Home keys can be used to navigate through a thumbnail panel that has image titles.  When NVDA is used to view the page, these keys become disabled.  I have been told by my development software provider that NVDA takes the "focus" away from my page and thereby disables this rudimentary keystroke navigation.  I am hoping to make contact with individuals on this forum who can help me learn to overcome some of these technical problems and also give advice on how to optimize the web accessibility of my projects for users of NVDA and other screen readers.

http://www.photographyoptions.net/images/laurel/tour1.html is an alternative version of the link above that shows how narration could be used to give additional info about the page, including an announcement of special keystrokes which would open up navigation to other screen elements which are possible here like a youtube video embedded in an Iframe within the panoramic images and still images that make up the basis of these virtual tours.  Any advice from this forum would be very much apprciated!

Kind Regards
--
Greg Hosler

www.photographyoptions.com

Greg@...

865-774-9755

Hello,

Whoever told you that NVDA is taking focus away from the image: please have that person contact me so I can let this person talk to lead NVDA devleopers.

In reality, it isn’t that NVDA is taking focus away from the image – it is just that home, end, page up and page down are used by NVDA when browsing the web (called browse mode).

Cheers,

Joseph

[...]

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi

I am just a user of nvda.

I just had a quick look when i went to the page it would start speaking. is there a audio file or something connected to the map file?

From there i could arrow up and down the page and heard the names of the other places read out.

I am guessing if you press the enter key on the photo it might get bigger? There does not seem to be any sounds connected to any of the other stuff.

I tried tabbing etc to see if there was any controls my sighted wife said there are but nvda can not see them. Apart from that i can not help much.

Gene nz

On 27/12/2016 12:34 AM, greg@... wrote:

[...]

Brian's Mail list account

Yes if you drop into focus mode they return to normal.

In the player on our talking newspaper page, it is suggested that to operate the buttons easier that focus mode is used as in effect you are returning the keyboard back to normal.
I have seen this used a lot recently, and it seems its mainly aimed at Jaws users, which I understand uses a similar system to browse a screenreader friendly rendering of the page, whereas direct acces needs a lot of use of tab etc.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

[...]

www.photographyoptions.com <http://www.photographyoptions.com>

Greg@... <mailto:Greg@...>

865-774-9755

greg@...

Joseph,

I am trying to work with a developer in Croatia who has indicated that NVDA may be taking focus away from this type of project: http://www.photographyoptions.net/images/laurel/tour.html.  I am testing NVDA with Chrome 55.0.2883.87m; Firefox 50.0.2; and Internet Explorer 11.0.9600.18537IS.  When using NVDA, the project performs differently in each browser......but in every case, not nearly well enough to be considered accissible.  Notably, in Chrome......with NVDA turned on, the Page UP, Page Down, Home and End keys become disabled.  There are numerous wayfinding tools in my projects and I hope to interact with individuals in the NVDA community and a developer at NVDA to develop a step by step approach to optimizing my type of multimedia project for use with NVDA.  Thank you for your kind response.
--
Greg Hosler

www.photographyoptions.com

Greg@...

865-774-9755

Hi,

Ah, you’re using Windows 8.1…

Try using this site with browse mode turned off (NVDA+SPACE command). This allows keys normally handled by NVDA’s browse mode to be passed to the app/website in question.

[...]

Gene,

Your accessibility central website is awesome, and as I have time, I will pore over it more thoroughly.  I am grateful that you have taken some time to look at my project example and for the feedback you have given.  It also helps that your wife has revealed the buttons and other elements on the page that NVDA is not able to read.  This example http://www.photographyoptions.net/images/headwaters/tour.html has a launch page, an interactive map, Interactive submaps for 6 different lakes, a youtube video associated with each submap, and a google maps wayfinding utility.

I have envisioned creating a narration for my projects that gives an interpretive/historical summary of the project followed by an announcement of specific key strokes that can be used to access different elements of the tour.  For example N to tab through thumbnail panel, announcing scene names; P to tab through dots on interactive map, announcing scene names; G to enter youtube iframe window where youtube accessibility features can be accessed; R to launch Google Maps wayfinding utility where Google Maps accessibility features can be accessed.  In my mind, this seems like a daunting task, so, most immediately, I would benefit by getting feedback on developing an "order of importance" for creating incremental accessibility improvements to this type of project when using NVDA, Jaws, or any other type of screen reader program.  Thanks in advance for your patience in reading this!
--
Greg Hosler

www.photographyoptions.com

Greg@...

865-774-9755

Gene

Whatever is used and whatever a sighted person sees when browse mode is off, NVDA reads nothing when trying to move by any means on the page with browse mode on or off.  Also, NVDA reports an embedded object when the site opens.  I am not a developer and I'm commenting only as a matter of interest and curiosity because I don't have the technical knowledge to explain the problem nor how to solve it.  I hope that, if the problem is explained and a solution given off list or on another list, that someone will report here as a matter of interest.  At least I'm curious.  I can't speak for others.

Gene