focus on window with nvda

William Brandes

hi. question. how to focus on a window that pops up when clicking on
some link in the main window?

i find this often when i login to a website. or, also when working
with the kindle book downloader in my kindle management on amazon.

in both cases after clicking on a link another window pops up which i
can find rummaging around with a mouse, but, must be a way to do this
with just a keyboard.

any help would be appreciated ... william

greg@...

Sir,

I am a photographer / web developer / virtual tour producer and am trying to learn how to optimize my web projects for web accessibility when using a screen reader like NVDA.  In my research so far, I have learned that when viewing a project like this: http://www.photographyoptions.net/images/laurel/tour.html, the Page Up / Page Down / End /Home keys can be used to navigate through a thumbnail panel that has image titles.  When NVDA is used to view the page, these keys become disabled.  I have been told by my development software provider that NVDA takes the "focus" away from my page and thereby disables this rudimentary keystroke navigation.  I am hoping to make contact with individuals on this forum who can help me learn to overcome some of these technical problems and also give advice on how to optimize the web accessibility of my projects for users of NVDA and other screen readers.

http://www.photographyoptions.net/images/laurel/tour1.html is an alternative version of the link above that shows how narration could be used to give additional info about the page, including an announcement of special keystrokes which would open up navigation to other screen elements which are possible here like a youtube video embedded in an Iframe within the panoramic images and still images that make up the basis of these virtual tours.  Any advice from this forum would be very much apprciated!

Kind Regards
--
Greg Hosler

www.photographyoptions.com

Greg@...

865-774-9755

Hello,

Whoever told you that NVDA is taking focus away from the image: please have that person contact me so I can let this person talk to lead NVDA devleopers.

In reality, it isn’t that NVDA is taking focus away from the image – it is just that home, end, page up and page down are used by NVDA when browsing the web (called browse mode).

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of greg@...
Sent: Monday, December 26, 2016 3:34 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] focus on window with nvda

Sir,

I am a photographer / web developer / virtual tour producer and am trying to learn how to optimize my web projects for web accessibility when using a screen reader like NVDA.  In my research so far, I have learned that when viewing a project like this: http://www.photographyoptions.net/images/laurel/tour.html, the Page Up / Page Down / End /Home keys can be used to navigate through a thumbnail panel that has image titles.  When NVDA is used to view the page, these keys become disabled.  I have been told by my development software provider that NVDA takes the "focus" away from my page and thereby disables this rudimentary keystroke navigation.  I am hoping to make contact with individuals on this forum who can help me learn to overcome some of these technical problems and also give advice on how to optimize the web accessibility of my projects for users of NVDA and other screen readers.

http://www.photographyoptions.net/images/laurel/tour1.html is an alternative version of the link above that shows how narration could be used to give additional info about the page, including an announcement of special keystrokes which would open up navigation to other screen elements which are possible here like a youtube video embedded in an Iframe within the panoramic images and still images that make up the basis of these virtual tours.  Any advice from this forum would be very much apprciated!

Kind Regards
--
Greg Hosler

Greg@...

865-774-9755

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi

I am just a user of nvda.

I just had a quick look when i went to the page it would start speaking. is there a audio file or something connected to the map file?

From there i could arrow up and down the page and heard the names of the other places read out.

I am guessing if you press the enter key on the photo it might get bigger? There does not seem to be any sounds connected to any of the other stuff.

I tried tabbing etc to see if there was any controls my sighted wife said there are but nvda can not see them. Apart from that i can not help much.

Gene nz

On 27/12/2016 12:34 AM, greg@... wrote:

Sir,

Kind Regards
--
Greg Hosler

Greg@...

865-774-9755

-- 
<b>Check out the new location of my accessibility central website for NVDA tutorials, NVDA road tested programs, and other eyesight related topics.
http://www.accessibilitycentral.net/ If you would like to keep up to date with whats being updated on our website, you can also follow us on facebook by visiting
the following link https://en-gb.facebook.com/people/AccessibilityCentral-Net/100009727930216
Also, check out which New Zealand libraries have the NVDA screen reader available by visiting the following link http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries

Brian's Mail list account

Yes if you drop into focus mode they return to normal.

In the player on our talking newspaper page, it is suggested that to operate the buttons easier that focus mode is used as in effect you are returning the keyboard back to normal.
I have seen this used a lot recently, and it seems its mainly aimed at Jaws users, which I understand uses a similar system to browse a screenreader friendly rendering of the page, whereas direct acces needs a lot of use of tab etc.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Monday, December 26, 2016 5:53 PM

Hello,

Whoever told you that NVDA is taking focus away from the image: please have that person contact me so I can let this person talk to lead NVDA devleopers.

In reality, it isn’t that NVDA is taking focus away from the image – it is just that home, end, page up and page down are used by NVDA when browsing the web (called browse mode).

Cheers,

Joseph

Sent: Monday, December 26, 2016 3:34 AM

Sir,

I am a photographer / web developer / virtual tour producer and am trying to learn how to optimize my web projects for web accessibility when using a screen reader like NVDA. In my research so far, I have learned that when viewing a project like this: http://www.photographyoptions.net/images/laurel/tour.html, the Page Up / Page Down / End /Home keys can be used to navigate through a thumbnail panel that has image titles. When NVDA is used to view the page, these keys become disabled. I have been told by my development software provider that NVDA takes the "focus" away from my page and thereby disables this rudimentary keystroke navigation. I am hoping to make contact with individuals on this forum who can help me learn to overcome some of these technical problems and also give advice on how to optimize the web accessibility of my projects for users of NVDA and other screen readers.

http://www.photographyoptions.net/images/laurel/tour1.html is an alternative version of the link above that shows how narration could be used to give additional info about the page, including an announcement of special keystrokes which would open up navigation to other screen elements which are possible here like a youtube video embedded in an Iframe within the panoramic images and still images that make up the basis of these virtual tours. Any advice from this forum would be very much apprciated!

Kind Regards
--
Greg Hosler

www.photographyoptions.com <http://www.photographyoptions.com>

Greg@... <mailto:Greg@...>

865-774-9755

greg@...

Joseph,

I am trying to work with a developer in Croatia who has indicated that NVDA may be taking focus away from this type of project: http://www.photographyoptions.net/images/laurel/tour.html.  I am testing NVDA with Chrome 55.0.2883.87m; Firefox 50.0.2; and Internet Explorer 11.0.9600.18537IS.  When using NVDA, the project performs differently in each browser......but in every case, not nearly well enough to be considered accissible.  Notably, in Chrome......with NVDA turned on, the Page UP, Page Down, Home and End keys become disabled.  There are numerous wayfinding tools in my projects and I hope to interact with individuals in the NVDA community and a developer at NVDA to develop a step by step approach to optimizing my type of multimedia project for use with NVDA.  Thank you for your kind response.
--
Greg Hosler

Greg@...

865-774-9755

Hi,

Ah, you’re using Windows 8.1…

Try using this site with browse mode turned off (NVDA+SPACE command). This allows keys normally handled by NVDA’s browse mode to be passed to the app/website in question.

Cheers,

Joseph

Sent: Tuesday, December 27, 2016 1:55 AM

Joseph,

I am trying to work with a developer in Croatia who has indicated that NVDA may be taking focus away from this type of project: http://www.photographyoptions.net/images/laurel/tour.html.  I am testing NVDA with Chrome 55.0.2883.87m; Firefox 50.0.2; and Internet Explorer 11.0.9600.18537IS.  When using NVDA, the project performs differently in each browser......but in every case, not nearly well enough to be considered accissible.  Notably, in Chrome......with NVDA turned on, the Page UP, Page Down, Home and End keys become disabled.  There are numerous wayfinding tools in my projects and I hope to interact with individuals in the NVDA community and a developer at NVDA to develop a step by step approach to optimizing my type of multimedia project for use with NVDA.  Thank you for your kind response.
--
Greg Hosler

Greg@...

865-774-9755

greg@...

Gene,

Your accessibility central website is awesome, and as I have time, I will pore over it more thoroughly.  I am grateful that you have taken some time to look at my project example and for the feedback you have given.  It also helps that your wife has revealed the buttons and other elements on the page that NVDA is not able to read.  This example http://www.photographyoptions.net/images/headwaters/tour.html has a launch page, an interactive map, Interactive submaps for 6 different lakes, a youtube video associated with each submap, and a google maps wayfinding utility. 

I have envisioned creating a narration for my projects that gives an interpretive/historical summary of the project followed by an announcement of specific key strokes that can be used to access different elements of the tour.  For example N to tab through thumbnail panel, announcing scene names; P to tab through dots on interactive map, announcing scene names; G to enter youtube iframe window where youtube accessibility features can be accessed; R to launch Google Maps wayfinding utility where Google Maps accessibility features can be accessed.  In my mind, this seems like a daunting task, so, most immediately, I would benefit by getting feedback on developing an "order of importance" for creating incremental accessibility improvements to this type of project when using NVDA, Jaws, or any other type of screen reader program.  Thanks in advance for your patience in reading this!
--
Greg Hosler

Greg@...

865-774-9755

Gene

Whatever is used and whatever a sighted person sees when browse mode is off, NVDA reads nothing when trying to move by any means on the page with browse mode on or off.  Also, NVDA reports an embedded object when the site opens.  I am not a developer and I'm commenting only as a matter of interest and curiosity because I don't have the technical knowledge to explain the problem nor how to solve it.  I hope that, if the problem is explained and a solution given off list or on another list, that someone will report here as a matter of interest.  At least I'm curious.  I can't speak for others.

Gene
----- Original Message =-----

Sent: Tuesday, December 27, 2016 4:15 AM

Hi,

Ah, you’re using Windows 8.1…

Try using this site with browse mode turned off (NVDA+SPACE command). This allows keys normally handled by NVDA’s browse mode to be passed to the app/website in question.

Cheers,

Joseph

Sent: Tuesday, December 27, 2016 1:55 AM

Joseph,

--
Greg Hosler

Greg@...

865-774-9755

Gene

your ideas are interesting and I appreciate the thought that was put into them.  However, I would say that the first thing to do is to wait for results and then engage in further discussion with knowledgeable NVDA developers.  Your ideas about accessibility may not be the best way to offer it.  There are already many standard ways of moving to standard controls and structures.  For example, h moves by heading when in browse mode, b moves by button and there are many others.  However, I know nothing about how the page works technically nor how information is displayed.  I'm not saying this is the case, but you may find that the best solution, if you want to keep your site with the same manner of functioning for sighted users, is to have a link for blind users, displayed with black on black contrast on the page.  This link would tell them to click here for an accessible version and sighted people wouldn't see it.  It would be read by screen-readers, however. At this point, I don't know how the embedded object NVDA reports works and how it displays information.  Nor do I know if it can be made to display information to NVDA in a recognizable form.  And if it can, can NVDA be made to work with it as you envision.  That is one reason I'm presenting an alternative.  But I'm just presenting it as a matter of interest and I'm not proposing it as a solution.  I am far from qualified to discuss the matter except as a curious layman speculating about possible solutions.

In my alternative, the link on the site would lead to an accessible version of the site providing whatever you have in mind.  I generally advocate against separate sites because they may not offer the same information and require separate updating and thus may not remain current.  Also, often separate pages don't have as many features as main pages.  But every rule has its exceptions and for a project like this, I approach the design with no preconceptions.  I'm not advocating for the solution and design I'm explaining.  I'm simply providing it as an example to show one possibility and to state an example of what might be done.  As I said, at this point, I think all preconceptions as to design should be put aside and the comments of developers should, I hope, be useful.

Gene

Sent: Tuesday, December 27, 2016 4:15 AM

Gene,

Your accessibility central website is awesome, and as I have time, I will pore over it more thoroughly.  I am grateful that you have taken some time to look at my project example and for the feedback you have given.  It also helps that your wife has revealed the buttons and other elements on the page that NVDA is not able to read.  This example http://www.photographyoptions.net/images/headwaters/tour.html has a launch page, an interactive map, Interactive submaps for 6 different lakes, a youtube video associated with each submap, and a google maps wayfinding utility. 

I have envisioned creating a narration for my projects that gives an interpretive/historical summary of the project followed by an announcement of specific key strokes that can be used to access different elements of the tour.  For example N to tab through thumbnail panel, announcing scene names; P to tab through dots on interactive map, announcing scene names; G to enter youtube iframe window where youtube accessibility features can be accessed; R to launch Google Maps wayfinding utility where Google Maps accessibility features can be accessed.  In my mind, this seems like a daunting task, so, most immediately, I would benefit by getting feedback on developing an "order of importance" for creating incremental accessibility improvements to this type of project when using NVDA, Jaws, or any other type of screen reader program.  Thanks in advance for your patience in reading this!
--
Greg Hosler

Greg@...

865-774-9755

Hi

This time when i went up to the link in the email i got this message.

ERROR:

Adobe Flashplayer or
HTML5 Browser with WebGL or CSS3D support required!

Gene nz

On 27/12/2016 11:15 PM, greg@... wrote:

Gene,

--
Greg Hosler

Greg@...

865-774-9755

-- 
<b>Check out the new location of my accessibility central website for NVDA tutorials, NVDA road tested programs, and other eyesight related topics.
http://www.accessibilitycentral.net/ If you would like to keep up to date with whats being updated on our website, you can also follow us on facebook by visiting
the following link https://en-gb.facebook.com/people/AccessibilityCentral-Net/100009727930216
Also, check out which New Zealand libraries have the NVDA screen reader available by visiting the following link http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries

Hi

This time when i went up to the link in the email i got this message.

ERROR:

Adobe Flashplayer or
HTML5 Browser with WebGL or CSS3D support required!

Gene nz

On 27/12/2016 11:15 PM, greg@... wrote:

Gene,

--
Greg Hosler

Greg@...

865-774-9755

-- 

Travis Siegel <tsiegel@...>

I'm not sure what the developer is talking about, my page up and page down keys work just fine.  Make sure the developer isn't using the number pad, as those are used by NVDA for various functions, the extended keys (between the alphabet keys and the number pad) work just fine.

On 12/27/2016 4:54 AM, greg@... wrote:

Joseph,

--
Greg Hosler

Greg@...

865-774-9755

Avast logo

This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
www.avast.com

Gene

Did you try working with the specific web site being discussed?  No content is accessible, regardless of what is done. 

Gene

Sent: Tuesday, December 27, 2016 8:59 PM

I'm not sure what the developer is talking about, my page up and page down keys work just fine.  Make sure the developer isn't using the number pad, as those are used by NVDA for various functions, the extended keys (between the alphabet keys and the number pad) work just fine.

Joseph,

--
Greg Hosler

Greg@...

865-774-9755

Avast logo

www.avast.com

Yes, I went to the site mentioned in the email, and I had no trouble reading all the various labels on the many many images on the site.  The url is quoted below (in fact, the email before mine as a matter of fact).  If there's a different site being discussed, I didn't see it.

On 12/27/2016 10:08 PM, Gene wrote:
Did you try working with the specific web site being discussed?  No content is accessible, regardless of what is done. 

Gene

Joseph,

--
Greg Hosler

Greg@...

865-774-9755

Avast logo

www.avast.com

Avast logo

www.avast.com

Gene

I believe two sites were mentioned in the original.  I don't know what you are looking at but you must be looking at something different than the one that people have been discussing in general. 

Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, December 27, 2016 9:16 PM

Yes, I went to the site mentioned in the email, and I had no trouble reading all the various labels on the many many images on the site.  The url is quoted below (in fact, the email before mine as a matter of fact).  If there's a different site being discussed, I didn't see it.

Gene

Joseph,

--
Greg Hosler

Greg@...

865-774-9755

Avast logo

www.avast.com

Avast logo

www.avast.com

What I see when I go to the site is this:

Laurel River Lake - Laurel River Lake Map
Laurel River Lake Map

Still View of Laurel River Dam Approach
Sheltowee Trace Trailhead
Lake Panorama at Intake
Still View at Dam
Still View of Outlet Gorge
Dam Overlook Comfort Station
Dam Overlook Picnic Area
Dam Overlook Picnic Area
Dam Overlook Panorama
Lake Panorama at Dam
Still View from Dam
Still View of Cove
Beach Panorama
Volleyball Area on Beach
Panorama at Beach
Beach Walkway
Beach Access Stairs
Beach Access Stairs
Laurel River Lake Picnic Area Entrance Sign Still
Picnic Area Comfort Station
Accessible Picnic Site
Picnic Site
Picnic Shelter 1
Playground near Shelter 1
Day Use Parking Area
Picnic Shelter 2
Volleyball Net near Picnic Shelter 2
Horseshoe Pits
Boat Mooring Area
Bank Fishing Access
Accessible Fishing Deck
Picnic Site
Picnic Site
Sheltowee Trace Crossing

There's nothing to click on, so if that's what folks are complaining about, then sure, it ain't workin', but if all you're after is getting the image tags out there so folks can see what the layout is like, then the site works.

On 12/27/2016 10:53 PM, Gene wrote:
I believe two sites were mentioned in the original.  I don't know what you are looking at but you must be looking at something different than the one that people have been discussing in general. 

Gene

Gene

Joseph,

--
Greg Hosler

Greg@...

865-774-9755

Avast logo

www.avast.com

Avast logo

www.avast.com

Avast logo

www.avast.com

Hi

the first time the link was sent i got what was said in the email you sent. I could only arrow down or up the page.

the next time a link was sent it needs a flash player or something and does not do any thing. it also does not say any names as in the first link you went to. I think there are 2 links.

Plus on the first link there is meant to be other stuff there but nvda can not see it.

Gene nz

On 28/12/2016 5:13 PM, Travis Siegel wrote:

What I see when I go to the site is this:

Laurel River Lake - Laurel River Lake Map
Laurel River Lake Map

Still View of Laurel River Dam Approach
Sheltowee Trace Trailhead
Lake Panorama at Intake
Still View at Dam
Still View of Outlet Gorge
Dam Overlook Comfort Station
Dam Overlook Picnic Area
Dam Overlook Picnic Area
Dam Overlook Panorama
Lake Panorama at Dam
Still View from Dam
Still View of Cove
Beach Panorama
Volleyball Area on Beach
Panorama at Beach
Beach Walkway
Beach Access Stairs
Beach Access Stairs
Laurel River Lake Picnic Area Entrance Sign Still
Picnic Area Comfort Station
Accessible Picnic Site
Picnic Site
Picnic Shelter 1
Playground near Shelter 1
Day Use Parking Area
Picnic Shelter 2
Volleyball Net near Picnic Shelter 2
Horseshoe Pits
Boat Mooring Area
Bank Fishing Access
Accessible Fishing Deck
Picnic Site
Picnic Site
Sheltowee Trace Crossing

There's nothing to click on, so if that's what folks are complaining about, then sure, it ain't workin', but if all you're after is getting the image tags out there so folks can see what the layout is like, then the site works.

On 12/27/2016 10:53 PM, Gene wrote:

Gene

Gene

Joseph,

--
Greg Hosler

Greg@...

865-774-9755

Avast logo

www.avast.com

Avast logo

www.avast.com

Avast logo

www.avast.com

-- 

Brian's Mail list account

I never found the original message in this thread but being blind myself, I'd question the point of going to this site in the first place for us. The page mentioned is full of apparently uncommented clickable clickable clickable as well as some test basically describing what the pictures are.

If I were going to make this an inclusive site for promoting a region like this, I'd add a link near the start for text descriptions or audio recordings of places etc, and a contact us link.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Wednesday, December 28, 2016 3:16 AM

Yes, I went to the site mentioned in the email, and I had no trouble
reading all the various labels on the many many images on the site. The
url is quoted below (in fact, the email before mine as a matter of
fact). If there's a different site being discussed, I didn't see it.

Did you try working with the specific web site being discussed? No
content is accessible, regardless of what is done.
Gene
*Sent:* Tuesday, December 27, 2016 8:59 PM
*To:* nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
*Subject:* Re: [nvda] focus on window with nvda

I'm not sure what the developer is talking about, my page up and page
down keys work just fine. Make sure the developer isn't using the
number pad, as those are used by NVDA for various functions, the
extended keys (between the alphabet keys and the number pad) work just
fine.

Joseph,

I am trying to work with a developer in Croatia who has indicated
that NVDA may be taking focus away from this type of project:
http://www.photographyoptions.net/images/laurel/tour.html. I am
testing NVDA with Chrome 55.0.2883.87m; Firefox 50.0.2; and Internet
Explorer 11.0.9600.18537IS. When using NVDA, the project performs
differently in each browser......but in every case, not nearly well
enough to be considered accissible. Notably, in Chrome......with NVDA
turned on, the Page UP, Page Down, Home and End keys become
disabled. There are numerous wayfinding tools in my projects and I
hope to interact with individuals in the NVDA community and a
developer at NVDA to develop a step by step approach to optimizing my
type of multimedia project for use with NVDA. Thank you for your
kind response.
--
Greg Hosler

www.photographyoptions.com <http://www.photographyoptions.com>

Greg@... <mailto:Greg@...>

865-774-9755

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Avast logo
<https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient>

www.avast.com
<https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient>

greg@...

Brian,

The advice about creating a "link near the start for text descriptions and audio" is the type of feedback I am looking for.  But to dig a little deeper, in IE 11 with NVDA turned on, the screen reader goes through the entire thumbnail panel and reads the title / caption for the each particular scene without pause.  In Firefox and Chrome, instead of reading the title / caption of the scene, NVDA simply says the word "clickable."  This is because most of the scenes are panoramic images that are created by stitching together several fisheye shots in different directions to create a photo bubble.  When a sighted viewer clicks on a a panorama, it immerses them inside of the photo bubble and they are able to push it around or up and down in any direction.with their mouse or with unannounced keys in a toolbar that exists at the bottom of the project.....and in this way, it behaves like a mini-video.   My first step in this is to figure out why IE 11 will speak the caption, but Firefox and Chrome will instead, only say "clickable."  In Firefox and Chrome, NVDA will speak any caption or tooltip on the screen upon mouseover.  I am trying to figure out how to develop keystrokes which move to different elements on the page and speak both the name of the caption and whether it is "clickable."
--
Greg Hosler

Greg@...

865-774-9755