Topics

locked Free License Offer: Tweet by Freedom Scientific on Twitter

Laurie Mehta

Freedom Scientific (@FreedomSci)
1 of 2) We know many of you must remain at home and continue to work/attend school remotely. To ensure life remains accessible we are offering those in the US/Canada a Free Home License of JAWS, ZoomText, or Fusion that will expire 6/30/2020. Learn more: portal.freedomscientific.com/SponsoredSoftw…

Download the Twitter app

“May the Lord of peace himself give you peace at all times and in every way.”
 (2 Thessalonians 3:16)

Jesse Farquharson

Okay, I have to be honest here. This actually, really, really bothers me. Making it free in the short term to attract long term customers in the face of something like the corona virus. It seems more calculated to benefit their bottom line than help people by, say, slashing license prices for full licenses by a significant amount.

I'm sorry if this seems harsh, but it's how I feel. As far as I'm aware, NVDA can do the same things as JAWS, and then some. I can count on one hand the number of times I've had to use JAWS since I got this computer almost four years ago.

On 3/23/2020 1:17 PM, Laurie Mehta via Groups.Io wrote:
Freedom Scientific (@FreedomSci)
1 of 2) We know many of you must remain at home and continue to work/attend school remotely. To ensure life remains accessible we are offering those in the US/Canada a Free Home License of JAWS, ZoomText, or Fusion that will expire 6/30/2020. Learn more: portal.freedomscientific.com/SponsoredSoftw…

Download the Twitter app

“May the Lord of peace himself give you peace at all times and in every way.”
 (2 Thessalonians 3:16)

David Mehler

This is kind of off topic, IMO, but I'll just say that this jaws offer
does not offer remote support, which I would think home-stuck
users/workers need. I agree with Jesse.

On 3/23/20, Jesse Farquharson <jesse100rules@...> wrote:
Okay, I have to be honest here. This actually, really, really bothers
me. Making it free in the short term to attract long term customers in
the face of something like the corona virus. It seems more calculated to
benefit their bottom line than help people by, say, slashing license
prices for full licenses by a significant amount.

I'm sorry if this seems harsh, but it's how I feel. As far as I'm aware,
NVDA can do the same things as JAWS, and then some. I can count on one
hand the number of times I've had to use JAWS since I got this computer
almost four years ago.

On 3/23/2020 1:17 PM, Laurie Mehta via Groups.Io wrote:
*Freedom Scientific (@FreedomSci <https://twitter.com/freedomsci?s=11>)*
3/23/20, 09:28
<https://twitter.com/freedomsci/status/1242080848574156802?s=11>
portal.freedomscientific.com/SponsoredSoftw… <https://t.co/cqZDh618pW>

Download <https://twitter.com/download?ref_src=MailTweet-iOS> the
Twitter app

“May the Lord of peace himself give you peace at all times and in
every way.”
 (2 Thessalonians 3:16)

Clement Chou

Agreed. And a short term license with a time restriction? No thank
you... it would've made more sense for them to either slash prices or
offer unrestricted licenses for a period of time. Can't tell me they
can't afford to let a few copies go for free with the amount of years
they've been operating.

[...]

Vispero/Freedom Scientific is not changing its business model, that's for certain.

But, making JAWS available at home, for 3 months, for those who use it at the office is still a good thing.  If they would happen to get additional subscribers, what's wrong with that?  No one is forcing anyone to take advantage of the offer nor to subscribe when it expires.  And I won't be surprised if there's a "round two" offer were this ongoing pandemic span longer than June 30th (heaven forfend!!).

       ~ Madonna

On Mon, Mar 23, 2020 at 01:41 PM, Clement Chou wrote:
offer unrestricted licenses for a period of time.
Uh, that's precisely what they're doing.  I don't see any distinction between what I quoted above and "a short term license with a time restriction."  Unless you mean they should be offering this to businesses as well, which I guess they could, but most businesses where JAWS is a need are very likely to have it licensed already.

       ~ Madonna

I have absolutely no love whatsoever for Vispero, but if this topic isn't an example of, "No good deed goes unpunished," then nothing could be.

Since the necessary information is out, and for which I thank Laurie Mehta, this topic is now locked.

       ~ Madonna