Free JAWS licence that was anounced today

Kerryn Gunness

thanks again brian

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, March 25, 2020 10:39 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Free JAWS licence that was anounced today

On Wed, Mar 25, 2020 at 10:14 AM, Kerryn Gunness wrote:
available to only u s and canada
Incorrect.  Obtaining it directly through the website is limited to the USA and Canada.

The website explicitly states, "International opportunities available, please contact the distributor in your country."

All of this has, of course, been laid out previously:  https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda/message/71737

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363  

Power is being told you're not loved and not being destroyed by it.

~ Madonna

On Wed, Mar 25, 2020 at 10:14 AM, Kerryn Gunness wrote:
Incorrect.  Obtaining it directly through the website is limited to the USA and Canada.

The website explicitly states, "International opportunities available, please contact the distributor in your country."

All of this has, of course, been laid out previously:  https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda/message/71737

--

~ Madonna

Kerryn Gunness

Sent: Wednesday, March 25, 2020 9:33 AM

On Wed, Mar 25, 2020 at 04:51 AM, aikeo koomanivong wrote:
You mean that Jaws will give free license just only to JUNE right?
As I said previously:  Yes, a free, short term license that runs through June 30, 2020, that's available to home users.

Unless Vispero were to extend the termination date, but the current terms are through June 30th.  Since they normally sell the product they're not going to give it away at no cost "forever."

--

~ Madonna

On Wed, Mar 25, 2020 at 04:51 AM, aikeo koomanivong wrote:
You mean that Jaws will give free license just only to JUNE right?
As I said previously:  Yes, a free, short term license that runs through June 30, 2020, that's available to home users.

Unless Vispero were to extend the termination date, but the current terms are through June 30th.  Since they normally sell the product they're not going to give it away at no cost "forever."

--

~ Madonna

aikeo koomanivong

Dear Brian and all

You mean that Jaws will give free license just only to JUNE right? It’s not forever right?

Thanks

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Wednesday, March 25, 2020 9:30 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

Well, they took the opportunity to upgrade it, if memory serves, though it was several years ago. I did go through two or three upgrades in that time, though. From JAWS 9 to 10 to... 12 to 14, I believe. Maybe it was 13 instead of 12, I'm not sure. But having to pay for an upgrade as frequently as they seemed to... I'm surprised they did that at all. I would never, ever do that. It's part of the reason why I prefer NVDA.

Jesse Farquharson

Well, they took the opportunity to upgrade it, if memory serves, though it was several years ago. I did go through two or three upgrades in that time, though. From JAWS 9 to 10 to... 12 to 14, I believe. Maybe it was 13 instead of 12, I'm not sure. But having to pay for an upgrade as frequently as they seemed to... I'm surprised they did that at all. I would never, ever do that. It's part of the reason why I prefer NVDA.

On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 10:20 PM, aikeo koomanivong wrote:
Right now Jaws’s company give free license?
Yes, a free, short term license that runs through June 30, 2020, that's available to home users.

If you are in the USA or Canada, then go to the Freedom Scientific home page and search for the Free Home License link.

If you are anywhere else in the world, contact the JAWS distributor in your nation.

--

~ Madonna

Gene

If the school had to get a new license, they were incompetent.  The owners of JAWS have corrected problems with JAWS reverting to 40 minute mode as a matter of routine and those who have such problems don’t need to purchase new licenses.  It wouldn’t even be legal for the owners of JAWS to require this. 

As far as your problems with JAWS are concerned, they are not typical, as I said in a previous message. 

Gene

Sent: Tuesday, March 24, 2020 8:37 PM

I, too, have had plenty an issue with JAWS. I used it from grade 4 onwards on school provided computers and frequently found it slow to start. More than that, I would often run into an issue where JAWS would be in the middle of reading something, and whatever synth I was using at the time would completely freeze up and just continue vocalizing the same sound non-stop. Sometimes it would happen multiple times a day and sometimes only once a week.

There also came a few incidents where, for no apparent reason, JAWS reverted to 40 minute demo mode and the school had to buy a brand new license even though no one did anything to the JAWS program/version/whatever.

As soon as I got my own computer through government funding, the first thing I did was download NVDA on it. I also got a JAWS 17 license for it, but... honestly, almost four years later I am starting to consider that a waste of money. I can count on one hand the number of times I've used JAWS, and I've found that in each case, for my needs, if one program doesn't work with one, it doesn't work with the other. BitDefender and NordVPN being prime examples.

aikeo koomanivong

Hi all

What are you talking about

Sorry guys, I cannot find 1st topic just saw only subject free jaws license and there are many e-mail .

Right now Jaws’s company give free license?

I love NVDA I stop used Jaws since 2013.

My students most of them known Jaws but all of them they used NVDA.

If they are give free license just would like to grab and use for sometime with situation that NVDA cannot access.

Thanks

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Wednesday, March 25, 2020 8:57 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

I agree, I do have supernova screen reader active so I can technically do a few tests, however I use it for things like configuring some winamp preffs and to play smuglers.

I do test the new edge with it and windows desktop and a few other things, and I may even try to get it working with software like vmware workstation but to be honest, its quite minimal.

On 25/03/2020 2:37 pm, Jesse Farquharson wrote:

I, too, have had plenty an issue with JAWS. I used it from grade 4 onwards on school provided computers and frequently found it slow to start. More than that, I would often run into an issue where JAWS would be in the middle of reading something, and whatever synth I was using at the time would completely freeze up and just continue vocalizing the same sound non-stop. Sometimes it would happen multiple times a day and sometimes only once a week.

There also came a few incidents where, for no apparent reason, JAWS reverted to 40 minute demo mode and the school had to buy a brand new license even though no one did anything to the JAWS program/version/whatever.

As soon as I got my own computer through government funding, the first thing I did was download NVDA on it. I also got a JAWS 17 license for it, but... honestly, almost four years later I am starting to consider that a waste of money. I can count on one hand the number of times I've used JAWS, and I've found that in each case, for my needs, if one program doesn't work with one, it doesn't work with the other. BitDefender and NordVPN being prime examples.

I agree, I do have supernova screen reader active so I can technically do a few tests, however I use it for things like configuring some winamp preffs and to play smuglers.

I do test the new edge with it and windows desktop and a few other things, and I may even try to get it working with software like vmware workstation but to be honest, its quite minimal.

On 25/03/2020 2:37 pm, Jesse Farquharson wrote:

Jesse Farquharson

Gene

I don’t know why you had problems with JAWS but that is not the usual experience.  I used it for years before NVDA and I had no more problems with crashes than with any other well functioning program.

Gene

Sent: Tuesday, March 24, 2020 8:02 PM

True jean.

With nvda I use a subset of the commands not all of them.

The advantage of nvda is you don't need to use most commands unless you really need to, stuff just works.

When I did my dolphin stuff the same applied but obviously with more commands.

In jaws I was given a tutorial to use all the commands, half of which I promptly forgot.

And while I did use jaws for bits and bobs, I spent half of my life, fixing jaws crashes, reinstalling and reformatting because of driver screwups according to jaws on xp, and resetting things weekly because of jaws.

When I switched to windows 7 I kept my dolphin stuff up because it didn't do my head in like jaws.

Now I am a dolphin tester I use both dolphin supernova and nvda.

I must admit that nvda is my primary reader of choice though.

On 25/03/2020 1:13 pm, Gene wrote:
It might encourage them to learn or dabble if it were [pointed out that most of what most users use are Windows and program commands.  You can learn only a small number of commands, read title bar, adjusting speech as you want, and perhaps a few screen review commands and you can do a lot with any screen-reader.  And these days, web browsing screen-reader commands are standardized, at least on the screen-readers I have used.  It might be nice to know the read current line command and read current word and character commands, but only knowing a small number of commands you can do enough to make a second screen-reader a very good idea.

Gene
Sent: Tuesday, March 24, 2020 3:50 PM

On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 04:41 PM, Jackie wrote:
I also strongly feel that folks on any given day should have more than 1
screen reader in their arsenal if at all possible, because some are
just better at certain things than others.
You're preachin' to the choir!!   This is something I tell all my clients, even when I can't have the time to teach them the alternative ones.

One need not be equally proficient in multiple screen readers (though it certainly doesn't hurt) but having the basics of several, so that you can try another when the one you prefer is being recalcitrant, makes life much easier.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363  

~ Madonna

True jean.

With nvda I use a subset of the commands not all of them.

The advantage of nvda is you don't need to use most commands unless you really need to, stuff just works.

When I did my dolphin stuff the same applied but obviously with more commands.

In jaws I was given a tutorial to use all the commands, half of which I promptly forgot.

And while I did use jaws for bits and bobs, I spent half of my life, fixing jaws crashes, reinstalling and reformatting because of driver screwups according to jaws on xp, and resetting things weekly because of jaws.

When I switched to windows 7 I kept my dolphin stuff up because it didn't do my head in like jaws.

Now I am a dolphin tester I use both dolphin supernova and nvda.

I must admit that nvda is my primary reader of choice though.

On 25/03/2020 1:13 pm, Gene wrote:
It might encourage them to learn or dabble if it were [pointed out that most of what most users use are Windows and program commands.  You can learn only a small number of commands, read title bar, adjusting speech as you want, and perhaps a few screen review commands and you can do a lot with any screen-reader.  And these days, web browsing screen-reader commands are standardized, at least on the screen-readers I have used.  It might be nice to know the read current line command and read current word and character commands, but only knowing a small number of commands you can do enough to make a second screen-reader a very good idea.

Gene

You're preachin' to the choir!!   This is something I tell all my clients, even when I can't have the time to teach them the alternative ones.

One need not be equally proficient in multiple screen readers (though it certainly doesn't hurt) but having the basics of several, so that you can try another when the one you prefer is being recalcitrant, makes life much easier.

--

~ Madonna

Gene

Gene

--

~ Madonna

Tony Ballou

Hey,

Absolutely, couldn't agree with you more about that my friend. When you really think about it, it's difficult to purchase a piece of software that would cost you more than it would be to buy a full workstation, and you have to decide one way or the other which is where I was when I chose to make the full time move to NVDA.  And of course some software that works well with one screen reader may not function as well with another, and you may have to play a bit of a patience and balancing act between things.

I'm currently testing a program called copy trans with a friend of mine who is a jaws user.  One of the many things you can do with this program is sync music from your PC to an I Phone without using iTunes which is only one of the functions of this software. And so far, we've found that the program works with NVDA, but things aren't so good with using jaws with it.  As soon as things become settled here in the states, we are going to try to find a solution to using the program for jaws users. In a perfect world, what works with one should work with all, but as we all know, the world ain't perfect. 

Tony 

On 3/24/2020 9:45 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:

On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 09:17 AM, Tony Ballou wrote:
The adage seems to be if what we've got works, why fix or in this case, try to change it.
But, given your background, you also know that money has been getting tighter and tighter and tighter.  There is a very strong case to be made for NVDA on that front, since no one can claim it's not a mature and full-service product (slight differences from JAWS don't make it "not full-service," just somewhat different).

There is also a clear case to be made that supplying software without training, particularly for something as complicated as a screen reader, is a recipe for disaster.  Clients will abandon that which they cannot use even vaguely effectively, and those of us "in this biz" have seen this more times than we care to count.

It's also critical to direct clients to resources such as this very group as part of their training.  There is no way that any trainer/tutor can ever possibly cover what any given individual will ultimately need to do with their screen reader.  Our job is to launch the client with a solid foundation upon which they can build independently, but independently does not mean "alone and without any outside guidance."  Knowing where to turn for assistance when you hit the inevitable, "How in the heck do I do this?!!," class of question is crucial.

--

~ Madonna

Kerryn Gunness

thank you for clarifying

Sent: Tuesday, March 24, 2020 3:41 PM

On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 03:34 PM, Kerryn Gunness wrote:
when i ask questions about programs i use with NVDA, i am told the group is for NVDA related questions and the thread becomes locked
just asking
There is a worldwide crisis occurring where many individuals are now housebound (including myself).  Many of the members here are transitioning to NVDA from another screen reader, one of which may be JAWS.  In a situation such as this, when a major screen reader vendor offers a free license to use their product it warrants mention throughout the various screen reader online communities.

And, you have apparently not read through the content of this topic at all, which you should do before commenting.   JAWS has been incidental, not central, to it.  You'll find NVDA being mentioned many, many more times than JAWS has been.  It was just the free offer that launched the topic, but it certainly has not been its focus.  And even if the free offer had been its focus, under the current circumstances, I'd allow it.  There are times rules should absolutely be bent.  This is one of those.

--

~ Madonna

You're preachin' to the choir!!   This is something I tell all my clients, even when I can't have the time to teach them the alternative ones.

--

~ Madonna

Jackie

I guess perhaps my point was that when helping someone choose a screen
reader, asking how they would like to use it should be 1 of the 1st
questions out of the box, & that if the user indicates a general
purpose scenario, then NVDA would be an excellent choice for that. I
also strongly feel that folks on any given day should have more than 1

On 3/24/20, Brian Vogel <@britechguy> wrote:
On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 04:01 PM, Jackie wrote:

While I would say that NVDA meets the needs of many "general" users,
unfortunately, there are still some situations where Jaws does what
NVDA can't.
And vice versa.  There are also times where Narrator can do something the
other two don't handle gracefully.

But, under typical circumstances, other than something in the form of, "I
can do [insert thing here] with JAWS/Narrator/Window-Eyes, but can't figure
out how to do it with NVDA," being brought up any extended discussion of
JAWS, Narrator, or Window-Eyes on this group is off-topic.

That would even be true now, today, were the conversation about how to use
JAWS, Narrator, or Window-Eyes.  That's off-topic.

I just wanted to point out in response to the original question what my
reasoning was for allowing the discussion that Freedom Scientific/Vispero
was offering JAWS, Fusion, and ZoomText licenses at no cost to home users
through June 30th.  It's an exception condition, not a change in group
rules.  Group owners and moderators will, occasionally, allow topics for
exception conditions that are generally recognized as such without further
explanation.

--

Brian *-* Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363

*Power is being told you're not loved and not being destroyed by it.*

~ Madonna

--
Subscribe to a WordPress for Newbies Mailing List by sending a message to:
wp4newbs-request@... with 'subscribe' in the Subject field OR by
visiting the list page at http://www.freelists.org/list/wp4newbs
& check out my sites at www.brighter-vision.com & www.mysitesbeenhacked.com

Well tony its worth noting that the only reason nvda is this good is because of its strong web engine and such.

A lot of modern software use a web component and most of that is chromium based.

I have some older software nvda will not work with.

Granted thats not that many bits of software but I do have access to another reader, that I was able to get for nothing by becoming a betatester, and no its not jaws.

People are leary about opensource software in general, security is their argument but everyone likes support packages, comercial support lines and the like.

For myself, my job is mostly online.

I am a frequent web user, using chromium based apps like waterfox, chrome, thunderbird and edge chromium.

Nvda just works out the box.

If there is a problem addons and scripts can easily be written and sometimes people release stuff they thought of and we can see what it does.

In jaws everything needs to be scripted otherwise it doesn't work, just like in windows 98 where everything needs a driver so it will run.

And while like everything there are default scripts for things, in jaws when I used it if it didn't have a script then it wouldn't run at all.

That may have changed since jaws 6 but I am quite happy these days.

With microsoft roling windows out twice a year  I have no idea how users spend the cash on upgrading their comercial reader to use the latest feature update of windows.

On 25/03/2020 2:16 am, Tony Ballou wrote:
Hi,

As a long time adaptive trainer and technical specialist, I have seen this same thing, numerous times. I myself have been an NVDA user for about 8 years or so now.  And I have seen it grow, and improve by leaps and bounds.  Since I first tried it out when situations forced me to moved to a more affordable screen reading solution, I will be the first to admit that I didn't bring any of my clients across because of the familiarity aspects and issues with more of the shall we say mainstream products. However, if they were in a situation where they wanted to purchase a new system from me, I would be sure to install NVDA on it for them so that they would have it at their fingertips if they couldn't afford Jaws and bring them across that way.  Getting schools and organizations to support NVDA is by no means going to be an easy task for they all have been spoon fed on Jaws as the premiere screen reading software for the longest time.  The adage seems to be if what we've got works, why fix or in this case, try to change it.

Tony

On 3/23/2020 2:02 PM, Sky Mundell wrote:
Hello guys . I do agree with everybody about what they're saying. However, I
am going to point something out to you, and that is, as a 6 year adaptive
tech trainer who has trained blind students in screen readers, I have to say
that there are folks out there that won't give up there screen reader too
easily. As an example, I do have friends out there that know that NVDA
exists, and so on and so forth, but a lot of them think that if something is
cheaper, it is inferior. I'll give you an example. I do have a friend in
California who has heard of NVDA, and her blind friends know that NVDA
exists, and they have tried it but they end up going back to JAWS because
its what they know. Also Many of the institutions that I've come across have
never heard of NVDA, or if they have heard of it, they assume that it is
incomplete or inferior because they have seem more than one person use JAWS
and iPhones so they think, all blind folks use, are JAWS screen reader, and
iPhones. Which, as you and I know, is not true. As, while JAWS and iPhone's
are certainly used, not everybody uses, or cannot afford, either JAWS, or
iPhone. Another example is that I have a relative that works at a
university, and they use JAWS and I bet if they have heard of NVDA they
would be reluctant to try it because they would, once again, assume it is
incomplete, and inferior. Sadly,  there is no support for NVDA in the school
districts that I am aware of where I am. I am certainly in favor of client
choice and I am in favor of cheaper stuff but at the moment its going to be
real tough to get organisations to realize that NVDA even exists let alone
trying it out.

On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 04:01 PM, Jackie wrote:
While I would say that NVDA meets the needs of many "general" users,
unfortunately, there are still some situations where Jaws does what
NVDA can't.
And vice versa.  There are also times where Narrator can do something the other two don't handle gracefully.

But, under typical circumstances, other than something in the form of, "I can do [insert thing here] with JAWS/Narrator/Window-Eyes, but can't figure out how to do it with NVDA," being brought up any extended discussion of JAWS, Narrator, or Window-Eyes on this group is off-topic.

That would even be true now, today, were the conversation about how to use JAWS, Narrator, or Window-Eyes.  That's off-topic.

I just wanted to point out in response to the original question what my reasoning was for allowing the discussion that Freedom Scientific/Vispero was offering JAWS, Fusion, and ZoomText licenses at no cost to home users through June 30th.  It's an exception condition, not a change in group rules.  Group owners and moderators will, occasionally, allow topics for exception conditions that are generally recognized as such without further explanation.

--

~ Madonna