Sent: Thursday, March 26, 2020 1:51 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA does not read thunderbird 68.6.0 headers of messages

On Thu, Mar 26, 2020 at 01:32 PM, Gary Greico wrote:

NVDA is terrible now, I went back to jaws.

Fine.   No screen reader is 100% perfect for every task any given user might need to perform.  That's a fact and that's why one should always have the ability to use the basics, at least, of several screen readers.

The fact that NVDA has this tiny problem does not make it "terrible now" for the vast majority of its users.  GitHub also gives any NVDA user a direct communication link with the NVDA development teams to report bugs or make feature requests.

The idea that any one screen reader will, at any given moment, be "all things to all users," is unsupportable.

       ~ Madonna

On Thu, Mar 26, 2020 at 01:32 PM, Gary Greico wrote:

NVDA is terrible now, I went back to jaws.

Fine.   No screen reader is 100% perfect for every task any given user might need to perform.  That's a fact and that's why one should always have the ability to use the basics, at least, of several screen readers.

The fact that NVDA has this tiny problem does not make it "terrible now" for the vast majority of its users.  GitHub also gives any NVDA user a direct communication link with the NVDA development teams to report bugs or make feature requests.

The idea that any one screen reader will, at any given moment, be "all things to all users," is unsupportable.

       ~ Madonna

Gary Greico <pianotuner3@...>

a is terrible now, I went back to jaws.

           NVD

On 26-Mar-20 10:58 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Thu, Mar 26, 2020 at 07:29 AM, enes sarıbaş wrote:
However, the list of features in the recommend addon doesn't seem to include a headers fix.
I'd definitely try contacting the writer of said add-on with a feature request, as clearly it appears that the base code exists and adding to it is in all likelihood fairly easy for additional fields.

I very seldom need to look at message header contents (which is not to say that this should be the case for anyone else) but I tend to use "View Source" and just search when I do.

When playing with NVDA in Thunderbird using the View All setting for headers, along with the Focus Highlight add-on, it looks like NVDA is staying in focus mode on all items as I go through the headers and I can't get it to switch over to browse mode or read the actual header content, just the header label.  I am uncertain as to whether this is an NVDA issue or a Thunderbird issue.

       ~ Madonna

Cecelia Rodriguez

Thanks

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

enes sarıbaş

However, the list of features in the recommend addon doesn't seem to include a headers fix.

On 3/26/2020 6:25 AM, enes sarıbaş via Groups.Io wrote:

Hi Brian,

My apologies.  I didn't check the archives, as I incorrectly assumed this wouldn't be something many would notice.

On 3/25/2020 9:43 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
Just discussed at some length, three days ago, in topic,  Value of headers not readable in Thunderbird.

Searching the NVDA Group Archive

       ~ Madonna

enes sarıbaş

Hi Brian,

My apologies.  I didn't check the archives, as I incorrectly assumed this wouldn't be something many would notice.

On 3/25/2020 9:43 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
Just discussed at some length, three days ago, in topic,  Value of headers not readable in Thunderbird.

Searching the NVDA Group Archive

       ~ Madonna

Just discussed at some length, three days ago, in topic,  Value of headers not readable in Thunderbird.

Searching the NVDA Group Archive

       ~ Madonna

enes sarıbaş

Hi all,

I found an issue with latest thunderbird and NVDA. Open a message, and select all headers in the view menu. When tabbing through the headers,  NVDA will only read the header of the header, but not the content. Object nav is required to read this. This was a regression as it worked normally before. Can anyone else reproduce this?