Topics

Bluetooth hearing aid lag on Windows 10 with NVDA.


Daniel Hawkins
 

Hello everyone,

I am currently am trying out a new hearing aid called the phonak Marvel. It has Bluetooth and I can connect this to my iPhone, Mac, and Windows 10. however, when i am connected to Windows 10 with NVDA, I have noticed that it have really really bad lag when the screenreader speaks. All first character or word is chopped off. Typing is almost impossible due to it is not spoken. It seems like as soon the TTS stop speaking, it goes into standby. However, my IPhone and mac does not have this problem. I have tried the addon for Bluetooth to stay connected, and I have not noticed a difference.

have anyone else have this issue too?

Thanks guys!
Daniel Hawkins
Check out my website: iabilityi.com





Cordelia Scharpf
 

I am not familiar with this kind of setup, but might unpairing and re-pairing do the trick? Do you have other devices connected (using Bluetooth) to your PC, e.g., a Braille display?

 

 

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Daniel Hawkins
Sent: Thursday, March 26, 2020 1:54 PM
To: NVDA Mailing Group
Subject: [nvda] Bluetooth hearing aid lag on Windows 10 with NVDA.

 

Hello everyone,

 

I am currently am trying out a new hearing aid called the phonak Marvel. It has Bluetooth and I can connect this to my iPhone, Mac, and Windows 10. however, when i am connected to Windows 10 with NVDA, I have noticed that it have really really bad lag when the screenreader speaks. All first character or word is chopped off. Typing is almost impossible due to it is not spoken. It seems like as soon the TTS stop speaking, it goes into standby. However, my IPhone and mac does not have this problem. I have tried the addon for Bluetooth to stay connected, and I have not noticed a difference.

 

have anyone else have this issue too?

 

Thanks guys!

Daniel Hawkins

Check out my website: iabilityi.com

 

 

 

 


 

Daniel,

           I'll have to try later today with my hearing aids to see if this occurs.  That being said, are your device drivers absolutely up to date for your sound card on the Win10 machine?  That's another thing to check.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363  

Power is being told you're not loved and not being destroyed by it.

       ~ Madonna

 

 


Tony Malykh
 

When you say "the addon for Bluetooth to stay connected, ", do you mean Bluetooth Audio add-on?

You're describing the beginning of every chunk of audio gets cut off, that is indeed indicative of your hearing aid entering standby mode too quickly. There is a program called Silencio, that you might want to try, it is similar to Bluetooth audio add-on, in the sense that it just plays silence and prevents bluetooth devices from entring stand by. You might want to try to see if it works.


On 3/26/2020 5:54 AM, Daniel Hawkins wrote:
Hello everyone,

I am currently am trying out a new hearing aid called the phonak Marvel. It has Bluetooth and I can connect this to my iPhone, Mac, and Windows 10. however, when i am connected to Windows 10 with NVDA, I have noticed that it have really really bad lag when the screenreader speaks. All first character or word is chopped off. Typing is almost impossible due to it is not spoken. It seems like as soon the TTS stop speaking, it goes into standby. However, my IPhone and mac does not have this problem. I have tried the addon for Bluetooth to stay connected, and I have not noticed a difference.

have anyone else have this issue too?

Thanks guys!
Daniel Hawkins
Check out my website: iabilityi.com





 

I can report that I'm getting the beginning of most, if not every, chunk of NVDA audio output being cut off with my Unitron Moxi hearing aids as well.

I'll have to play with both the Bluetooth Audio Add-On and, eventually, Silencio.  I would be careful about turning either one off when you know that you're going to be away from the computer for any length of time, as if you're within Bluetooth range of the machine when this is on it will keep the Bluetooth connectivity constantly in use on a hearing aid, and that does decrease your battery life.  My aids are rechargeable, but it would be really irritating were they to run out of power in the middle of the day because I'd been sitting anywhere near to my computer, after having established a Bluetooth connection, and the "silent keep alive" stream were running them down.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363  

Power is being told you're not loved and not being destroyed by it.

       ~ Madonna

 

 


Tony Malykh
 

You don't have to worry about turning Bluetooth audio off - this add-on monitors if NVDA is active, and by active I mean speaking anything. Once NVDA is inactive for 1 minute or so, it will stop playing silence to conserve the battery life of your hearing aid. Not sure whether the same would apply to silencio.


On 3/27/2020 4:15 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
I can report that I'm getting the beginning of most, if not every, chunk of NVDA audio output being cut off with my Unitron Moxi hearing aids as well.

I'll have to play with both the Bluetooth Audio Add-On and, eventually, Silencio.  I would be careful about turning either one off when you know that you're going to be away from the computer for any length of time, as if you're within Bluetooth range of the machine when this is on it will keep the Bluetooth connectivity constantly in use on a hearing aid, and that does decrease your battery life.  My aids are rechargeable, but it would be really irritating were they to run out of power in the middle of the day because I'd been sitting anywhere near to my computer, after having established a Bluetooth connection, and the "silent keep alive" stream were running them down.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363  

Power is being told you're not loved and not being destroyed by it.

       ~ Madonna

 

 


 

On Fri, Mar 27, 2020 at 07:56 PM, Tony Malykh wrote:
Once NVDA is inactive for 1 minute or so, it will stop playing silence to conserve the battery life of your hearing aid.
And hearing aid wearers everywhere who also use NVDA and a Bluetooth audio connection thank you for your thoughtfulness.  (I did notice you're the developer of the add-on.)
 
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363  

Power is being told you're not loved and not being destroyed by it.

       ~ Madonna

 

 


Daniel Hawkins
 

Hello guys,

I will have to try out Sliencico. I have tried the NVDA addon for Bluetooth Audio. it worked great with my older Compilot but did nothing for the newer marvel aids. maybe it is the aids not the computer.

However, I dusted off my old TV Link Bluetooth dock and plugged it in the 3.5mm jack, and it worked great!

So i may just use that for now.

Thank you for your advice!
Daniel Hawkins
Check out my website: iabilityi.com




On Mar 27, 2020, at 7:08 PM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

On Fri, Mar 27, 2020 at 07:56 PM, Tony Malykh wrote:
Once NVDA is inactive for 1 minute or so, it will stop playing silence to conserve the battery life of your hearing aid.
And hearing aid wearers everywhere who also use NVDA and a Bluetooth audio connection thank you for your thoughtfulness.  (I did notice you're the developer of the add-on.)
 
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363  

Power is being told you're not loved and not being destroyed by it.

       ~ Madonna

 
 


 

I have a feeling that my spelling of Silencio is incorrect, but I can pull up nothing via web search on it.  I have tried NVDA with Bluetooth as search terms along with several other variants.

If anyone has the link to the site where this program can be downloaded, and preferably from its developer, would you please share it?

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363  

Power is being told you're not loved and not being destroyed by it.

       ~ Madonna

 

 


Daniel Wolak
 

Hi,

Here’s a link to the direct download from the developer’s site.

http://www.stefankiss.sk/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=getit&lid=112

I’m not sure if there’s an actual page on his site, however this is the only link that I have.

Hth,

 

Daniel

 

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

From: Brian Vogel
Sent: March 30, 2020 11:45 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Bluetooth hearing aid lag on Windows 10 with NVDA.

 

I have a feeling that my spelling of Silencio is incorrect, but I can pull up nothing via web search on it.  I have tried NVDA with Bluetooth as search terms along with several other variants.

If anyone has the link to the site where this program can be downloaded, and preferably from its developer, would you please share it?

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363  

Power is being told you're not loved and not being destroyed by it.

       ~ Madonna

 

 

 


 

On Mon, Mar 30, 2020 at 11:50 AM, Daniel Wolak wrote:
http://www.stefankiss.sk/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=getit&lid=112
Thanks Daniel.   I honestly can't say whether this is the original developer or not, and the program is correctly spelled as Silenzio.  But even if I search on that, coupled with Bluetooth, I really get nothing useful other than this cautionary post in the JAWS for Windows Group, dating from January 2020:

https://jfw.groups.io/g/main/topic/jaws_2020_speech_issue_with/69701835?p=,,,20,0,0,0::recentpostdate%2Fsticky,,,20,2,0,69701835

So, at this juncture, I would strongly advise anyone who wants to give Silenzio a whirl to manually create a restore point in System Protection as well as taking a full system image backup of their machine prior to installing it.  That way if a System Restore from the restore point fails (which happens more often than many would like to believe) you have a way to restore your system to its pre-Silenzio state.
 
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363  

Power is being told you're not loved and not being destroyed by it.

       ~ Madonna

 

 


Daniel Wolak
 

Hi Brian,

Thanks for sharing this post. For the record, the link that I gave is one that I bookmarked after finding it on Jonathan Mosen’s blog, the relevant post of which can be found here.

https://mosen.org/soundsfrustrating/

 

Daniel

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

From: Brian Vogel
Sent: March 30, 2020 12:35 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Bluetooth hearing aid lag on Windows 10 with NVDA.

 

On Mon, Mar 30, 2020 at 11:50 AM, Daniel Wolak wrote:

http://www.stefankiss.sk/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=getit&lid=112

Thanks Daniel.   I honestly can't say whether this is the original developer or not, and the program is correctly spelled as Silenzio.  But even if I search on that, coupled with Bluetooth, I really get nothing useful other than this cautionary post in the JAWS for Windows Group, dating from January 2020:

https://jfw.groups.io/g/main/topic/jaws_2020_speech_issue_with/69701835?p=,,,20,0,0,0::recentpostdate%2Fsticky,,,20,2,0,69701835

So, at this juncture, I would strongly advise anyone who wants to give Silenzio a whirl to manually create a restore point in System Protection as well as taking a full system image backup of their machine prior to installing it.  That way if a System Restore from the restore point fails (which happens more often than many would like to believe) you have a way to restore your system to its pre-Silenzio state.
 
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363  

Power is being told you're not loved and not being destroyed by it.

       ~ Madonna

 

 

 


 

Daniel,

           I have also used the "Contact Us" form on Jonathan's website to make him aware of this post as well.  When this sort of issue occurs, even once, additional provisos regarding the necessary cautions to be taken should be added.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363  

Power is being told you're not loved and not being destroyed by it.

       ~ Madonna