doing math with NVDA and Microsoft word 2016

Jessica D <jldail13@...>

Hi,

I’m trying to do some math.

I’m using NVDA 2017.3, and word 2016.

What’s the best way to ensure that your numbers are properly lined up?

Thanks in advance,

Jessica

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Adriani Botez

Do you mean in fraction for example?

The best way is to check it with your braille wave. The numbers should pop up in the same braille cell.

Otherwise it is not simple at all.

Best
Adriani.

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Am 01.12.2017 um 20:18 schrieb Jessica D <jldail13@...>:

Hi,

I’m trying to do some math.

I’m using NVDA 2017.3, and word 2016.

What’s the best way to ensure that your numbers are properly lined up?

Thanks in advance,

Jessica

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Jessica D <jldail13@...>

Hi,

No,

I have to present some of the problems vertically.

Is there a good way to do this?

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

The best way is to check it with your braille wave. The numbers should pop up in the same braille cell.

Otherwise it is not simple at all.

Best

Adriani.

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Am 01.12.2017 um 20:18 schrieb Jessica D <jldail13@...>:

Hi,

I’m trying to do some math.

I’m using NVDA 2017.3, and word 2016.

What’s the best way to ensure that your numbers are properly lined up?

Thanks in advance,

Jessica

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Rayn Darren <rayndarren@...>

Align everything to the left. Keeping in mind that the + - / or * also take a space. So for example, vertically, 5+5=10 would be

5
+5
10

You can try using underline for the bottom number so it looks like you have an equals line. I hope this makes sense and my apologies, I missed your OP.

H T H,
Rayn

Am 01.12.2017 um 20:18 schrieb Jessica D <jldail13@gmail.com>:

Hi,

I’m trying to do some math.

I’m using NVDA 2017.3, and word 2016.

What’s the best way to ensure that your numbers are properly lined up?

Thanks in advance,

Jessica

Jessica D <jldail13@...>

Hi,

Do you put everything all the way to the left?

Will nvda read alignment?

If so, what’s the command for that?

Thanks,

Sent from Mail <https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986>  for Windows 10

The best way is to check it with your braille wave. The numbers should pop up in the same braille cell.

Otherwise it is not simple at all.

Best

Adriani.

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Am 01.12.2017 um 20:18 schrieb Jessica D <jldail13@...>:

        Hi,

        I’m trying to do some math.

        I’m using NVDA 2017.3, and word 2016.

        What’s the best way to ensure that your numbers are properly lined up?

        Thanks in advance,

        Jessica

        Sent from Mail <https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986>  for Windows 10

Adriani Botez

A fraction is usually displayed vertically unless you use LateX. As I said, the braille display is the best way. Put your finger on a cell and with the other hand press up and down arrow. You will know that numbers are perfectly lined up if they pop up in the same cell.

If you don‘t have a braille display, then you have to check with the right and left arrow on every line if numbers are properly under each other. But the problem is significant if there are blank lines in the expression like in linear equation systems because the cursor jumps at the beginning of the line and thus you loose your position.
.

Best
Adriani

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Am 01.12.2017 um 20:31 schrieb Jessica D <jldail13@...>:

Hi,

No,

I have to present some of the problems vertically.

Is there a good way to do this?

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

The best way is to check it with your braille wave. The numbers should pop up in the same braille cell.

Otherwise it is not simple at all.

Best

Adriani.

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Am 01.12.2017 um 20:18 schrieb Jessica D <jldail13@...>:

Hi,

I’m trying to do some math.

I’m using NVDA 2017.3, and word 2016.

What’s the best way to ensure that your numbers are properly lined up?

Thanks in advance,

Jessica

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Rayn Darren <rayndarren@...>

Hi Jessica,

Yes, put everything to the left, but keep in mind that for things to visually look lined up, you'll need to put the required number of spaces or tabs in. if you put one of the problems you have to write out in your response, I'll show you specifically what I mean.

By default, Word aligns text to the left, I don't actually know if there is a command for NVDA to announce alignment as I've never used that feature.

Rayn

I have to present some of the problems vertically.

Is there a good way to do this?

The best way is to check it with your braille wave. The numbers should pop up in the same braille cell.

Otherwise it is not simple at all.

Best

Adriani.

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Am 01.12.2017 um 20:18 schrieb Jessica D <jldail13@gmail.com>:

Hi,

I’m trying to do some math.

I’m using NVDA 2017.3, and word 2016.

What’s the best way to ensure that your numbers are properly lined up?

Thanks in advance,

Jessica

Adriani Botez

There is a feature but is not very reliable.

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Am 01.12.2017 um 20:44 schrieb Rayn Darren <rayndarren@gmail.com>:

[...]

Go to document formating in nvda prefferences. There you can activate reporting of alignments by sound or speech.

Best
Adriani

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Am 01.12.2017 um 20:40 schrieb Jessica D <jldail13@...>:

[...]

Hi Adriani,

Thanks so much! That’s a wonderful little feature that will definitely come in handy next semester!

Rayn

I have to present some of the problems vertically.

Is there a good way to do this?

Sent from Mail <https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986>  for Windows 10

The best way is to check it with your braille wave. The numbers should pop up in the same braille cell.

Otherwise it is not simple at all.

Best

Adriani.

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Am 01.12.2017 um 20:18 schrieb Jessica D <jldail13@...>:

        Hi,

        I’m trying to do some math.

        I’m using NVDA 2017.3, and word 2016.

        What’s the best way to ensure that your numbers are properly lined up?

        Thanks in advance,

        Jessica

        Sent from Mail <https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986>  for Windows 10

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi

Check under the document formatting section in nvda and look for alignment and check it. It will then tell you if it is left aligned etc

With some things it is better to set up a profile  if you want it in one application and not in others.

Gene nz

On 12/2/2017 8:49 AM, Adriani Botez wrote:
[...]

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Its not just math though is it, its anything that needs correct justification without using a table.
I mean there are ways to turn on formatting and the like but it does make it very verbose and of course noisy!
I guess this is why a lot of people use spreadsheets, but often it can be easier to read if its done in Word so its a bit of dilemma. I had the same issue in other screenreaders too, none seem to have cracked this entirely in my view.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

The best way is to check it with your braille wave. The numbers should pop up in the same braille cell.

Otherwise it is not simple at all.

Best
Adriani.

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Am 01.12.2017 um 20:18 schrieb Jessica D <jldail13@gmail.com>:

Hi,
I’m trying to do some math.
I’m using NVDA 2017.3, and word 2016.

What’s the best way to ensure that your numbers are properly lined up?

Thanks in advance,
Jessica

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

You can set alignment to be spoken, certainly but the issue for me is remembering that you need to add spaces to get things the right way for the units to line up. You almost need to set it up so your width is only as wide as the biggest number and then right justify it.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

I have to present some of the problems vertically.

Is there a good way to do this?

The best way is to check it with your braille wave. The numbers should pop up in the same braille cell.

Otherwise it is not simple at all.

Best

Adriani.

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Am 01.12.2017 um 20:18 schrieb Jessica D <jldail13@gmail.com>:

Hi,

I’m trying to do some math.

I’m using NVDA 2017.3, and word 2016.

What’s the best way to ensure that your numbers are properly lined up?

Thanks in advance,

Jessica

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Not everyone has access to such a display though, so really this is somewhat elitest.
There has to be a way to do it with the speech only.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

The best way is to check it with your braille wave. The numbers should pop up in the same braille cell.

Otherwise it is not simple at all.

Best
Adriani.

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Am 01.12.2017 um 20:18 schrieb Jessica D <jldail13@gmail.com>:

Hi,
I’m trying to do some math.
I’m using NVDA 2017.3, and word 2016.

What’s the best way to ensure that your numbers are properly lined up?

Thanks in advance,
Jessica

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Giles Turnbull

Hi Jessica,

what I'd do is pretty much what Rayn suggestes. I'd add that you can also use a overline as well as an underline for the answer line to make the answer be between equals lines. You find that in the borders options in the paragraph section of the Home tab, just after the alignment buttons, First select the answer line. Then it's easiest to use the shortcut keystroke Alt+h, b. In the dialog box you can choose exactly which borders you want. As you select a border the dialog box closes so after you press the bottom border button you come back out of the dialog and are on the answer line of your calculation. Then you go back into the borders dialog using Alt+h, b and then tab to the top border. As you tab to the top border you'll be able to hear that the bottom border is ticked.

The other thing I'd recommend is using a monospaced font like Courier for your math parts. That way you know that each digit occupies the same amount of horizontal space, with a 1 being placed in the same physical space as a number 8, which is similar to the idea of doing it in Braille because each character occupies the same physical space and you know the numbers are lined up under each other.

With a monospace font, you could type:

[2 spaces]123
[2 spaces]456
+(4 spaces)7
[3 spaces]586

That way you get the plus symbol on the same line as the 7, but at the far left of the calculation. There is then a space before any numbers, and then you have the 123 and 456 lines and then you need extra spacing to put the final line, the number 7, into the right hand column of numbers.

It'll probably drive you crazy keeping track of how many spaces you need, but in practice you can start in the top line and just count how many times you hear "space" as you right arrow along the line before you get to a number. You're result should be:

  123
  456
+   7
  568

Hope that helps, or hope that all adds up, I should probably say ;)

Giles

stancil tootle

Help