Question about Changing the Voice:

Lawrence Stoler

Dear NVDA List,

How do I go about changing the voice when using NVDA to a similar voice I would use if I had JAWS?

Thank you.

Lawrence Stoler

John Isige

You can buy both Eloquence and the Vocalizer voices for NVDA. You can get both combined as an NVDA addon, though people claim the version of Eloquence in that one has issues. I don't know, I've never tried it. You can also get them separately, both as SAPI5 products which means you can use them with any program that can use SAPI5, or as an addon for NVDA, in the case of the Vocalizer voices.

https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/wiki/ExtraVoices

Here are a couple of links for Eloquence as a stand-alone SAPI5 product, since that page doesn't mention that one.

http://codefactoryglobal.com/app-store/eloquence-for-windows/

Or if you're in the US:

http://www.atguys.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=20&products_id=216

On 12/1/2017 14:59, Lawrence Stoler wrote:
Dear NVDA List,

How do I go about changing the voice when using NVDA to a similar voice I would use if I had JAWS?

Thank you.

Lawrence Stoler

Tony Ballou

Hi,

Press insert-n to bring up the nvda menu, from there arrow down once to
the preferences sub menu then press the right arrow to open it then down
arrow twice to get to the synthesizer option. At this point press enter,
you will land in a combo box where you can choose the desired synth.
Depending on which version of windows you have you can use the default E
speak voice or choose the Microsoft sapi version 5 synth.  If you have
the Latest version of windows 10 you will find a choice for the windows
one core voices as well. Select the desired synth, then tab to Ok.  From
there if you choose, you can go back into the NVDA menu press right
arrow at the preferences sub menu hit the right arrow once and down
arrow 3 times to the voice settings option, open it, and tailor the
desired synth to your liking. You can adjust the voice, it's pitch rate
and volume, punctuation and spelling levels, how it defines capitals
ETC. Hope this helps.

Tony

On 12/1/2017 3:59 PM, Lawrence Stoler wrote:
Dear NVDA List,

How do I go about changing the voice when using NVDA to a similar
voice I would use if I had JAWS?

Thank you.

Lawrence Stoler

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

The question is what voice did you use in jaws?
If the voice or synth is not on your machine as a free to use one or not in nvda, then you will have to buy it from the vendor, which is why I ask the question. Have you tried all the Espeak variants in the voices section of the preferences? Have you looked at the Synths you can access on your computer via the synth preferences, if none of those suit then let us know what you were using before and somebody here will no doubt have the up to date ways to get the voices.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

How do I go about changing the voice when using NVDA to a similar voice I would use if I had JAWS?

Thank you.

Lawrence Stoler

Lawrence Stoler

Thank you, Tony.  I'm sure it will work.