How can I get the date from a Braille display?

Daniel Gartmann

Hi all,

On a laptop keyboard, I am able to get the date by pressing NVDA F12 twice quickly.

On my Freedom Scientific Focus40 Blue, I can’t seem to do two presses quickly of NVDA+F12. The second press of F12 just sends an F12 through and I get the Save As dialog.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Daniel

David Griffith

I cannot completely vouch for this working with a braille display as I am only just getting to grips with this myself but using a qwerty keyboards windows B and arrowing until focus is on the clock will announce not just the time but the date with speech in NVDA.

I hope that you get the same result with a braille display.

David Griffith

On a laptop keyboard, I am able to get the date by pressing NVDA F12 twice quickly.

On my Freedom Scientific Focus40 Blue, I can’t seem to do two presses quickly of NVDA+F12. The second press of F12 just sends an F12 through and I get the Save As dialog.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Daniel

Daniel Gartmann

Yes. This would work. But I want the same, convenient way of reading the date without leaving the application I am working in, but from my Braille keyboard.

If I use Windows+b, I am taken out of the application and have to get back to it using Alt+tab.

Thanks for the input.

Daniel

I cannot completely vouch for this working with a braille display as I am only just getting to grips with this myself but using a qwerty keyboards windows B and arrowing until focus is on the clock will announce not just the time but the date with speech in NVDA.

I hope that you get the same result with a braille display.

David Griffith

On a laptop keyboard, I am able to get the date by pressing NVDA F12 twice quickly.

On my Freedom Scientific Focus40 Blue, I can’t seem to do two presses quickly of NVDA+F12. The second press of F12 just sends an F12 through and I get the Save As dialog.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Daniel

Sarah k Alawami

I don't use a braille display, and You I think said you did this but what happens if you use insert f12, f12, then look at your display. Does the date show then? Sorry if I seem stupid, but I am in terms of braille displays. Lool!

[...]

No he says he is then getting the normal Save as dialogue you get when doing a single press of F12

David Griffith

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

On Thu, Apr 9, 2020 at 10:47 AM, Daniel Gartmann wrote:
On my Freedom Scientific Focus40 Blue, I can’t seem to do two presses quickly of NVDA+F12. The second press of F12 just sends an F12 through and I get the Save As dialog.
As bizarre as this may sound, I wonder if this might be something related to how FS has implemented this that is linked to JAWS somehow.  I was just reading through the Owner's Guide for the Focus 40 Blue and in the section entitled, Focus Keyboard Commands Overview, it states, "Focus commands are consistently based on JAWS and Windows commands. If you are familiar with JAWS and Windows keyboard commands, Focus commands are very easy to learn. If you become familiar with Focus commands, JAWS and Windows keyboard commands are also easy to learn."

It makes me think that it may not be passing through what one might think it's passing through to NVDA.  You might want to contact FS support about this, as they should be able to give a definitive answer.

       ~ Madonna

By the way, and not using a braille display, when I wanted to get the date announced when NVDA was running I did hold down NVDA then hit F12 twice in rapid succession.

The original post makes me think that NVDA+F12,NVDA+F12 was being pressed twice in rapid succession.  I used NVDA+F12 followed by just F12 in rapid succession, never releasing the NVDA key before both F12s were pressed.   I got the Save dialog in word, or the show elements panel in Brave, if I did NVDA+F12, released NVDA and then hit F12 again quickly.  But never when I depress NVDA, keep it held, and then hit two F12s in rapid succession before releasing NVDA.

       ~ Madonna

Daniel Gartmann

Interesting observations.

Anybody else using a Braille display with a Braille keyboard who can check if it is possible to issue the command to show the date?

Daniel

By the way, and not using a braille display, when I wanted to get the date announced when NVDA was running I did hold down NVDA then hit F12 twice in rapid succession.

The original post makes me think that NVDA+F12,NVDA+F12 was being pressed twice in rapid succession.  I used NVDA+F12 followed by just F12 in rapid succession, never releasing the NVDA key before both F12s were pressed.   I got the Save dialog in word, or the show elements panel in Brave, if I did NVDA+F12, released NVDA and then hit F12 again quickly.  But never when I depress NVDA, keep it held, and then hit two F12s in rapid succession before releasing NVDA.

       ~ Madonna

Cordelia Scharpf

Daniel,

On both PCs (one Windows 10, the other Windows 7) running NVDA 2019.3.1 and with both the voice and Braille display turned on, I got the following:

NVDA+F12: announces and displays time

NVDA (held down)+F12 (twice rapidly): announces and displays date, including the  day

HTH,

Cordelia

[...]

Cordelia,

Alright. What happens when you issue NVDA+F12 twice rapidly from the Braille keyboard then?

[...]

Hi Daniel,

This is almost a finger-twisting exercise  to accomplish using Braille Extender app as you’d need to issue four commands altogether in  rapid succession, meaning two sets of two different key combinations. I tried unsuccessfully many times, and nothing showed on the display. However, there is a neat alternative, which shows  the time and the date all at once on the display.

Are you using the Braille Extender? If not, where might I find a similar command for the date (from a Braille display) if I were to temporarily disable this app?

Best,

[...]

André-Abush Clause <listes@...>

Hi Daniel,

Sorry for the late reply.

With Braille Extender, you have a special command to show hour & date. By default, on Freedom Scientific displays, it's mapped to dots(1+2+5+7)+space.

I'll try to work around the possibility to emulate shortcuts pressed several time quickly.

HTH,

André

Le 09/04/2020 à 16:47, Daniel Gartmann a écrit :

Hi all,

On a laptop keyboard, I am able to get the date by pressing NVDA F12 twice quickly.

On my Freedom Scientific Focus40 Blue, I can’t seem to do two presses quickly of NVDA+F12. The second press of F12 just sends an F12 through and I get the Save As dialog.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Daniel

Daniel Gartmann

Hello,

I got this solved for now by adding an input gesture attached to the Braille Display (Dots 2,3,4,5,7 Chord). This seems to register when I press it 2 or 3 times.

Daniel