Topics

Reading messages list in Mozilla Thunderbird

Eilana Benish

Hello

I hope you're all well during this challenging time.

The problem I have with Mozilla Thunderbird with NVDA is that when navigating with the arrow keys in messages list, is the subject is read first  by NVDA. I was wondering if there is a way to change settings  so NVDA will read 1st the sender name.

thanks in advance

Eilana

--

ובכבוד רב | Sincerely,

אילנה בניש מורשה נגישות שירות 2200 | Eilana Benish, service Accessibility authorized (2200)

ניהול פרויקטים – נגישות ושמישות אינטרנט וטכנולוגיות מידע  | Projects manager – Accessibility & usability on internet and ICT

📱 +972-50-7100367 | 📧 benish.ilana@...

Sarah k Alawami

Wasn't there an add on for nvda that could help you arrange columns? Or am I confusing another tBird add on. I'm not on my windows confuser right now.

Take care

On 10 Apr 2020, at 9:16, Eilana Benish wrote:

Hello

I hope you're all well during this challenging time.

The problem I have with Mozilla Thunderbird with NVDA is that when navigating with the arrow keys in messages list, is the subject is read first  by NVDA. I was wondering if there is a way to change settings  so NVDA will read 1st the sender name.

thanks in advance

Eilana

--

ובכבוד רב | Sincerely,

אילנה בניש מורשה נגישות שירות 2200 | Eilana Benish, service Accessibility authorized (2200)

ניהול פרויקטים – נגישות ושמישות אינטרנט וטכנולוגיות מידע  | Projects manager – Accessibility & usability on internet and ICT

📱 +972-50-7100367 | 📧 benish.ilana@...

Eilana,

          The default column order used in Thunderbird places the Subject before the Sender.  This can be changed simply by rearranging the order in which the columns are displayed in your inbox.

          The Mozilla Enhancements Add-On allows you to rearrange the columns after hitting NVDA+H.

       ~ Madonna

Eilana,

            If you don't have the Thunderbird add-on, Quick Folder Key Navigation, installed I suggest you get that, too.  Instructions follow.

IMPORTANT:  For those using Thunderbird with a screen reader I strongly suggest installing the Quick Folder Key Navigation extension.  You will only need to install this extension once for any instance of Thunderbird you might be using.  This allows you to jump from folder in the folder tree using first letter navigation to move between them.  Without it, this does not always work.   You will only need to install this extension once for any instance of Thunderbird you might be using.  If you are using JAWS or NVDA, searching for this add on within Thunderbird is quite simple:

·         Activate the Tools Menu (ALT+T), add-ons option (followed by A) and tab 3 times, at which point you should be on the Extensions Pane.  If you happen to land on any other pane then use Down Arrow (or Up Arrow) until you hear Extensions.

·         Tab 2 times, which lands you in the search all add-ons edit box.

·         Then type in Quick Folder Key Navigation, hit enter, and wait a few seconds for the search to complete.

·         Tab 5 times more gain focus on the list of results.  Then hit Down Arrow to start navigating the list.  Quick Folder Key Navigation should be the first result.

·         Tab 2 times to land on the Install button then hit enter.

·         After the install completes you need to exit Thunderbird and start it up again for this extension to become active

       ~ Madonna

Rui Fontes

Yes, you're right!

Mozilla Apps Enhancements; Activado; 1.10; Javi Dominguez <fjavids@...>

It is available on oficial repository...

Rui Fontes

Às 17:23 de 10/04/2020, Sarah k Alawami escreveu:

[...]

Hi Brian

How can I rearrange the columns ?

‫בתאריך יום ו׳, 10 באפר׳ 2020 ב-19:31 מאת ‪Rui Fontes‬‏ <‪rui.fontes@...‬‏>:‬

[...]

The following presumes you have already installed the previously noted Mozilla Apps Enhancements add on, have restarted NVDA, and have Thunderbird up and running with focus on the Thunderbird window.

1. Hit NVDA+H.  A dialog entitled, Manage columns, appears.  That dialog is composed of a list of the columns in the order they are currently being displayed from left to right, with the leftmost column at the top of the list.

2.  The next thing I suggest you do, but this step is optional, is to hit ALT+O, which will cause the list of Thunderbird columns, in Thunderbird itself, to be displayed with a checkbox in front of those columns you wish to have displayed, and nothing (unchecked) for those you want to hide.  It's worth down arrowing through that column list and deciding if there are any currently checked (displayed) columns you'd like to hide, and uncheck those, and vice versa.  Hitting ESC closes the Thunderbird column selection process and throws you back to the Mozilla Apps Enhancements dialog.

3.  Back in the dialog column list, gain focus on the column that you would like to move.  If you want it to be to the left of where it is (and that means it would be announced first), then hit ALT+U to move it up by one position.  Repeat the ALT+U as many times as necessary to get it where you want it.  If you want this column to be announced later than it currently is (moving it to the right/down the list), hit ALT+D as many times as necessary to get it where you want it relative to other columns.

4.  Review your column order by going to the top of the list and down arrowing through it so you know what the "First announced to last announced" order is.  If you find a mistake, then repeat step 3, moving the column or columns to where you want them.

5. Navigate to the Close button for the dialog and activate it.  You're done.

       ~ Madonna

Brian Moore

it works on production version but not on the beta.

shall take a poke into this this weekend and see if I can fix it.

On 4/10/2020 1:35 PM, Eilana Benish wrote:

[...]

Curtis Delzer

wow, I also thank you for this one. didn't you could do all of that! and so easily!

Curtis Delzer
HS
K 6 V F O
Rialto, CA

curtis@calweb.com

On 4/10/2020 10:56 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
[...]
*Power is being told you're not loved and not being destroyed by it.*
       ~ Madonna

Mr. Moore, are you a developer for Thunderbird?  Just asking based on your "poke/fix" comment.

Even if you're not, if you beta test and report issues, not being able to use the Mozilla Apps Enhancement method to move columns is a big break from many past versions of Thunderbird, and likely the issue is on their end.

       ~ Madonna

Brian Moore

Hi.  I am no expert and based on the log output, it would seem this is on thunderbird end. Have a few theories to test but will file a bug with thunderbird.  This is completely separate than the ARIA-role-status for the status bar which is what is causing all the extra verbosity.

Welcome to using a beta but this is the point isn't it?

Shall see what I can do.

On Fri, Apr 10, 2020 at 03:42 PM, Brian Moore wrote:
Welcome to using a beta but this is the point isn't it?
Bless you, truly, for understanding the centrality and criticality of that point.  Many seem to thing that using beta software is about "being ahead of the curve" before the hoi polloi get there, and even I will admit to trying beta software for that purpose and that purpose alone, but always briefly.   If you're serious about using beta software as an "almost constant" then you are implicitly agreeing to be a tester, and that always includes the obligation to report issues.

Heaven knows that with what little exposure I had helping someone who unintentionally got on to 70b3 get off of it, there are lots and lots of issues with Tbird and NVDA that appear, based on what I know now, to be on the Tbird end.  Let's hope that they get identified and ironed out during beta and never make it to production.

       ~ Madonna

Eilana Benish

Brian thank you very much for your detailed explanation

ובכבוד רב, אילנה בניש
מורשה נגישות שירות
נשלח מ Outlook for iOS

מאת: ‏‏nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> בשם Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>
‏‏נשלח: Friday, April 10, 2020 7:30:30 PM
‏‏אל: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
‏‏נושא: Re: [nvda] Reading messages list in Mozilla Thunderbird

[...]

Kevin Cussick

Hi, correct, sense at last thanks.

On 10/04/2020 20:52, Brian Vogel wrote:
[...]

Marie <magpie.mn@...>

If I missed a further explanation on rearranging the message header, I apologize. I install the Mozilla add on but when I invoke the NVDA H, there is no listing for a sender? and it shows the subject as in the fourth position?

Marie

       ~ Madonna

Marie,

Here are the Thunderbird Columns, as currently ordered on my machine, and they are not in the default order, along with whether they are ON (displayed) or OFF (hidden):
Read  ON
Thread ON
Starred ON
Attachment ON
From ON (AKA Sender)
Subject ON - and not able to be turned off
Recipient OFF (AKA To)
Correspondents ON
Junk Status OFF
Received OFF  (Date Received)
Date ON  (Date Sent, most often this and Received are the same)
All of the columns after Date are OFF
Status
Size
Tag
Account
Priority
Unread
Total
Location
Order Received

When you have opened Options, the above column list is followed by the controls:
Restore Column Order  (to Thunderbird Default Order)
Apply Columns To (which I have never used, but it allows you to apply your settings above to other folders in Thunderbird)

       ~ Madonna

Betsy Grenevitch

Brian, thank you for such great step-by-step instructions. I did not have the add-on so have it now and have changed my columns. I really wish you would write a tutorial with such great step-by-step instructions on the most commonly asked questions about NVDA.

On 4/10/2020 1:56 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
[...]

678-862-3876

Marie <magpie.mn@...>

    Sorry for the empty post.
Just one quick question, please. Is there any way to apply the column change to all folders, or do you have to change it in all folders separately?
Thanks Brian, so much for your help

Marie

On Sun, Apr 12, 2020 at 10:41 PM, Marie wrote:
Is there any way to apply the column change to all folders, or do you have to change it in all folders separately?
Yes.  If you look back in the original instructions, I mentioned that when you hit ALT+O to open the list of all Thunderbird columns in Thunderbird itself, beneath that list are two controls:

Restore Column Order  (to Thunderbird Default Order)
Apply Columns To (which I have never used, but it allows you to apply your settings above to other folders in Thunderbird)

After you have your columns arranged exactly as you'd want them to be in all folders, use ALT+O to open the column list and get focus on the Apply columns to control.  Once activated, you are given two suboptions, Folder and Folder and its children.  You will want to use Folder and its children.  When you open this suboption you are then presented with a list of the e-mail inboxes you have (generally your accounts) along with Local folders.  When you select either one of the accounts, that will then open with the account at the top, and all of the subfolders beneath it, allowing you to select individual subfolders if you so choose.  In this case, just select the account at the top of that list and all IMAP subfolders should then be arranged in Thunderbird with the same column order you have arranged for the inbox.  You must go through the Apply columns to control and its suboptions for each account, if you have multiple accounts.  If you also want your local folders, usually only Trash and Outbox, to have that same order you need to do it for them, too.  I would proceed with caution on the Trash and Outbox folders.

       ~ Madonna

Marie <magpie.mn@...>

I somehow missed this part of the procedure. I was using Comcast and had trouble with messages not getting through so have now switched to my Gmail account and getting everything at last. Thanks for your patience.

Marie