Topics

Any accessible hex editors for screen reader users?

Hello,
I'm wonderring if there are programs called hex editors designed to be
accessible to screen reader users.
Any recommendations?
Best regards,
Paul

Andy B.

Hi,

What do you mean a hex editor? Are you looking for something that converts RGB, CMY/CMYK, and YIQ color definitions into hex values, or are you looking for a full featured color wheel? Without some programming/math experience, I don't know of any accessible hex editors/color wheels. However, I am working on a hex editor/color wheel, of which a portion will be used in my add-on called Developer toolkit. If you have any specifics you want to talk about, get me off list.

On Mon, Apr 13, 2020 at 9:03 AM Paulius <paulius.leveris@...> wrote:
Hello,
I'm wonderring if there are programs called hex editors designed to be
accessible to screen reader users.
Any recommendations?
Best regards,
Paul

Damien Garwood

Hi,
I always thought of a hex editor as something that can edit binary files rather than something that works with colours. I could be wrong though.
Cheers,
Damien.

On Mon, Apr 13, 2020 at 9:03 AM Paulius <@Karalius <mailto:@Karalius>> wrote:
Hello,
I'm wonderring if there are programs called hex editors designed to be
accessible to screen reader users.
Any recommendations?
Best regards,
Paul

Christo de Klerk

Hello

UltraEdit has a very good hex editing feature and many other powerful editing functions. This is a real programmer's or techie's editor. But it is not free. I think it costs around $60. I have it and do things with it that I have not been able to do in other editors I have worked with. Notepad++ comes closest, but it doesn't offer hex editing.

Kind regards

Christo

On 2020/04/13 03:02pm, Paulius wrote:
Hello,
I'm wonderring if there are programs called hex editors designed to be
accessible to screen reader users.
Any recommendations?
Best regards,
Paul

Greg Wocher

Hello,
Has ultra edit become accessible? It never use to work well with screen readers.

Greg Wocher

On Apr 13, 2020, at 9:48 AM, Christo de Klerk <christodeklerk@...> wrote:

Hello

UltraEdit has a very good hex editing feature and many other powerful editing functions. This is a real programmer's or techie's editor. But it is not free. I think it costs around $60. I have it and do things with it that I have not been able to do in other editors I have worked with. Notepad++ comes closest, but it doesn't offer hex editing.

Kind regards

Christo

On 2020/04/13 03:02pm, Paulius wrote:
Hello,
I'm wonderring if there are programs called hex editors designed to be
accessible to screen reader users.
Any recommendations?
Best regards,
Paul

Christo de Klerk

Hi

I have been using it for many years and it is perfectly accessible. Among its many configuration settings there are specific accessibility settings.

Kind regards

Christo

On 2020/04/13 04:24pm, Greg Wocher wrote:
[...]

Sean

This is great news. I've been looking for an accessible hex editor for a long time. Thank you.

Do you know a site that lists programs that are accessible in this way?

Sean

I’m student and programmer. I write often Python, sometimes Go and rare C++.
I can understand Turkish and English.

[...]

I have heard of one or two sites which host accessible programs, but I don't have their names or URLs unfortunately.

Regards

Christo

On 2020/04/13 05:33pm, Sean wrote:

[...]

Edited

On Mon, Apr 13, 2020 at 11:37 AM, Christo de Klerk wrote:
I have heard of one or two sites which host accessible programs, but I don't have their names or URLs unfortunately.
Quite likely to be in the list returned by https://duckduckgo.com/?q=online+hex+editor

       ~ Madonna

Jackie

Hi, Paul. XVI32 is accessible if memory serves--& sometimes it
actually doesn't. It's also a disk editor.

Brian v, just so you know, often these hex editors don't show the
screenreader the cursor, which is what prompted Paul's question. He's
trying, I'm pretty certain, to avoid the very tedious, time-consuming,
& bandwidth-sucking process of downloading something only to find the
cursor, for him, just isn't there. It's a real pita. So,
unfortunately, search engines aren't much help in this regard. HTH,
gentlemen.

On Mon, Apr 13, 2020 at 11:37 AM, Christo de Klerk wrote:

I have heard of one or two sites which host accessible programs, but I
don't have their names or URLs unfortunately.
Quite likely to be in the list returned by
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=online+hex+editor (
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=online+hex+edito )

*Power is being told you're not loved and not being destroyed by it.*

~ Madonna

Jackie,

          My search was for ONLINE hex editors.  There's nothing to download.  Also, the point was that someone else said they knew of a few but didn't have the URLs for same, and often just seeing them again in a search list will turn on the light bulb.  That's why I posted it, as there really aren't that many online ones available.

          I agree that one should try to avoid the tedium of download and try to the extent possible, but in the case of something as esoteric as this, if you're looking for one that resides on your machine, that's likely going to be part of the work if no one can identify an accessible one to begin with.  It is a PITA, but one that all of us, and for accessibility reasons or otherwise, have had to slog through upon occasion when no one could give a short list.  And if you find yourself having to do this, posting later about what you found that is accessible is a really, really good thing to do.

           Even if you give the online ones a quick try, and identify a couple that are accessible, posting which ones are is a really, really good thing to do.

       ~ Madonna

Jackie

Yeah, I haven't finished coffee yet, so I missed you were discussing
online hex editors. Sorry about that. XVI32 is a longstanding player
in the field, though, & w/its drive editing capabilities, should he
feel the need to go that very frightening route, & being free &
accessible besides, hopefully it'll serve his needs. Accessible tools
like these can be really hard for blind programmers to find.

[...]

Christopher Pross

Hey,
I have an nice accessible hex editor on my hard drive, will post the name later.

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Am 13.04.2020 um 18:15 schrieb Jackie <abletec@...>:

[...]

Here is the accessible hex-editor:

Hxd:

https://mh-nexus.de/en/downloads.php?product=HxD20

nice editor, you can inspect files, your ram, disk and the heap on spezific prozesses. You can hide the hex column or the txt column complitly.

It is a german developer, so please forgive any translation errors.

Am 14.04.2020 um 03:35 schrieb Christopher Pross via groups.io:

[...]

Sean Murphy

what version of ultra edit are you using?
What screen reader are you also using plus version?

Are used to use ultra edit a few years ago And stop you that because I found the interface not as friendly for JAWS for Windows.  If this has changed I will be definitely looking at it again.

Sean

My experience is the part

On 13 Apr 2020, at 11:48 pm, Christo de Klerk <christodeklerk@...> wrote:

Hello

UltraEdit has a very good hex editing feature and many other powerful editing functions. This is a real programmer's or techie's editor. But it is not free. I think it costs around $60. I have it and do things with it that I have not been able to do in other editors I have worked with. Notepad++ comes closest, but it doesn't offer hex editing.

Kind regards

Christo

On 2020/04/13 03:02pm, Paulius wrote:
Hello,
I'm wonderring if there are programs called hex editors designed to be
accessible to screen reader users.
Any recommendations?
Best regards,
Paul

Christo de Klerk

Hi

I am using UltraEdit version 10.10B. I believe there are newer updates, but I have not updated it yet. I have used it without any issues with Window-Eyes until Window-Eyes died. Since then I am using it with NVDA. I don't know how well it works with the Shark, but with Window-Eyes and NVDA there have not been any accessibility issues at all.

Kind regards

christo

On 2020/04/15 11:13am, Sean Murphy wrote:
[...]

The latest release is very different than the version you are using. The menus have radically changed. I had to turn off colour syntax to get things to read out the edit field correctly. Still playing with the settings.

Sean

[...]

Unless this has changed, look under the Advanced menu, the Configuration option which exposes a huge list of configuration settings. Move down to Advanced/Problem solving, then to Enable old style (Pre-V9) toolbars and menus (quicker load times and more compatible with some screen readers) and turn it on with the Spacebar. See if that might fix the issue. They have always made provision for accessibility, so I would think there should be accessibility settings in the newer version also.

Keep well

Christo

On 2020/04/15 04:45pm, Sean Murphy wrote:

[...]

Stephen

I just tried the latest HXD, which I downloaded yesterday, and I am facing a really weird problem.
Not all of the data are visible to screen readers like NVDA and JFW, only bits of it.  For some reason, both JAWS and NVDA think that there are spaces where the hex characters should be.
This didn't happen in the older version of HXD, version 1.7.7.0, it could read every bit of data you arrowed over.
Let's say you've just loaded up a file to edit, and you've got a line of code that reads: AB DD 1B 2D 27 9A.
Both NVDA and jaws have trouble reading the data.
When using your review cursor, or arrows, you'll see something like:
    DD    2D    9A.
I wonder if there is any way to fix this?

[...]

Ok, That is Strange, I have used the Version 1.7.7 for a long time and didn’t test the new versions deep enugth.
I will look into it, maybe a quick fix with an addon is possible. If not, I will contact the developer.

Von meinem iPhone gesendet