Reading PDFs in Edge Seemingly Broken

Sascha Cowley

Hi All,

It would seem that, as of Edge version 81, reading PDFs with NVDA is broken. The contents of the document can still be found using the navigator, but the document is reported as being blank in browse mode.

The issue seems to have been fixed in Edge version 83, but this is still 2 versions (6-12 weeks) away from becoming a stable release, and much can change in that time.

Regards,
Sascha

Ron Canazzi

Hi Sascha,

I am not having difficulty reading PDF documents in Edge. However, I am having trouble with the shortcut keys. Alt + S for settings alt + H for help and so on. None of them seem to work.  I have to use the tab key to access the tool bar to get at any of these items.  I wonder if anyone else is having this difficulty.

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

For anyone who is of the same opinion I am, and cannot stand dealing with PDFs within browser windows anyway, it is possible to make any browser open them using the system PDF reader you have installed on your system and set as the default.  I never like dealing with PDFs except in a dedicated PDF Editor or reader.  Instructions follow.

Making Chromium-based Browsers (Chrome, Brave, New Edge, etc.) Open PDFs in Your System Reader

  1. Ensure that the PDF Reader of your choosing  is installed on your computer.  Also make sure that it is what is set to handle files with the PDF extension (which it generally is already).
  2. Activate the Menu button (ALT+F), then choose Settings.
  3. What you do now will vary slightly based on the browser.
    1. For Chrome and Brave, in the Privacy and Security pane, select Site Settings.  For Brave you will have to activate the Additional Settings button before the Privacy and Security pane item becomes visible and accessible.
    2. For Edge, simply choose the Site Permissions pane.
  4. Scroll down and select “PDF documents“.
  5. You are now at the toggle that you need to switch to ON.  How it’s labeled varies slightly among the browsers:
    1. Chrome: Download PDF files instead of opening them automatically in Chrome
    2. Edge: Always open PDF files externally
    3. Brave: Download PDF files instead of automatically opening them in Brave

At this point close out of settings to save the changes you’ve made

Now when a PDF file is triggered, it will download via your browser just like any other file.  If you have things set up to go to your Downloads folder, that’s where it will be placed.  If you have the browser set up to ask you where to save it, you’ll get the save dialog.  Once the download is finished, the typical status comes up on the bottom of the screen indicating it’s complete, and giving you options of what to do if you activate the button for that file.  If you select the downloaded PDF file at the bottom of the window, then choose Open, then the file will open in a separate Reader window.  If you also activate the “Always open files of this type” option from then on any PDF file will not only automatically download, but automatically open in the PDF Reader you have set as the default one on your system.

       ~ Madonna

Arlene

Ron, I have to do the same thing on Edge. If I want to read PDF files I thought it was just me. Confirmed with the latest build of NVDA

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

--

They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.

They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Arlene

Hi Ron. I forgot to say I not only have to do that same thing with NVDA. I have to do the same thing with Jaws too.  I have the latest build with both screen readers.

--

They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.

They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Sascha Cowley

Hi Brian,

Personally, the only reason I use Edge is to read PDFs. I find that, almost all of the time, the way it interprets them is much better than Acrobat. If you can suggest a better alternative, I'd love to hear about it!

Regards,
Sascha

On 15/04/2020 02:06, Brian Vogel wrote:
[...]

Sascha,

          When it comes to matters of preference, "better" is relative.   If Edge works, and is most pleasant, for you then, by all means, that's what you should use.

           I do not know whether the following works in the stable version of Edge, but in the Dev versions hitting ALT+SHIFT+I will open a feedback mechanism that is dedicated strictly to Edge.  If something has broken that previously worked, I strongly suggest you log feedback.  If that method does not work within Edge, then do so via the Windows 10 Feedback Hub app.

       ~ Madonna

Gene

There is an objective comparison that can be made, however.  For example, unless this has changed in recent versions of Acrobat Reader, it didn’t decolumnize columns in logical reading order properly enough of the time to be a problem.  I don’t work with PDF documents much, but when I have, I have found that decolumnized documents often have information in the wrong place.

Using OCR often helps greatly with this problem. Perhaps Edge decolumnizes PDF documents much better.  I hope so.

Sent: Tuesday, April 14, 2020 4:10 PM

Sascha,

          When it comes to matters of preference, "better" is relative.   If Edge works, and is most pleasant, for you then, by all means, that's what you should use.

           I do not know whether the following works in the stable version of Edge, but in the Dev versions hitting ALT+SHIFT+I will open a feedback mechanism that is dedicated strictly to Edge.  If something has broken that previously worked, I strongly suggest you log feedback.  If that method does not work within Edge, then do so via the Windows 10 Feedback Hub app.

       ~ Madonna

Ron Canazzi

Hi Arleen and Group,

The odd thing about this non function of the otkeys is that when you highlight the buttons in the tool bar by using the tab key it says things like: 'settings button alt + S, help and feedback F1, home alt + home, settings and more alt + S.  None of the hotkeys with the alt key combinations work.

--

They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.

They ask: "How Happy are You?"

They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Ron Canazzi

Hi Sascha,

I agree with you.  The rendering of PDF files from my bank for example, is much better than the latest version of Acrobat Reader.  for once thing, for some reason, every time I load a file directly into Acrobat Reader, I get a blank page with a title 'reader view.'  This is rather new--only beginning with an update of Acrobat Reader some time in 2019, but to dismiss this, pressing escape or control + F4 does not work.  You have to alt + tab away from the program and then alt + tab back to it and then press escape.  Then you get the 'processing, please wait, percentage and then finally the document loads.  After that, the rendering is seldom as clean and structured as in the new Edge browser.

On 4/14/2020 4:58 PM, Sascha Cowley via groups.io wrote:

[...]

Hi Ron,

I also find that Edge's presentation of mathematics is better than that in Acrobat. Far from perfect, but it at least seems to accurately represent most symbols, whereas, in my experience, Acrobat will just substitute alphabetic characters for a lot of mathematical or technical symbols.

Regards,
Sascha

On 15/04/2020 11:55, Ron Canazzi wrote:
[...]

Hi Gene,

Agreed.

A lot of my work is with non-accessible PDFs that are produced by my university. The way Edge handles them generally works much better. For example, Acrobat will tend to just lump all of the text on one page together, whereas Edge seems to at least try to break it in to paragraphs. And Acrobat's interpretation of mathematical symbols is often very garbled, whereas Edge often seems to correctly represent them to NVDA.

Regards,
Sascha

Sent: Tuesday, April 14, 2020 4:10 PM

Sascha,

          When it comes to matters of preference, "better" is relative.   If Edge works, and is most pleasant, for you then, by all means, that's what you should use.

           I do not know whether the following works in the stable version of Edge, but in the Dev versions hitting ALT+SHIFT+I will open a feedback mechanism that is dedicated strictly to Edge.  If something has broken that previously worked, I strongly suggest you log feedback.  If that method does not work within Edge, then do so via the Windows 10 Feedback Hub app.

       ~ Madonna

Sarah k Alawami

Agreed. I read my flight schedules in pdf and most of the time it renders fine in edge and brave. So here's hopign this is fixed so I don't have to do any quirky things just to get my paperwork read. Ok, this is fake, but reading my schjedule so I knowwhere Im going is kind of important. Lol!