From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Robert Kingett via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, April 14, 2020 3:11 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] NVDA DAISY structure error

External email alert: Be wary of links & attachments.

I've been trying to fix this all day and I can't figure out how to fix the book structure errors in the audio DAISY version.

Listening to the book on my stream, After chapter 1, section 1, it jumps to section 10, rather than going to chapter 2.

For example. After section 1.3. It jumps to chapter 10, and continues on until 16.6, where it goes back to section 2.1 after that chapter.

I've tried renaming all the files in the daisy book, but it still plays in that strange order. Is there something else I can try to fix this behavior?

This is about the NV Access basic training with NVDA Daisy audiobook.

Curtis Delzer

not without using a program which strictly edits the indexes which are miss-handled by the book provider.

Curtis Delzer
HS
K 6 V F O
Rialto, CA

curtis@calweb.com

On 4/14/2020 12:10 PM, Robert Kingett wrote:
I've been trying to fix this all day and I can't figure out how to fix the book structure errors in the audio DAISY version.
Listening to the book on my stream, After chapter 1, section 1, it jumps to section 10, rather than going to chapter 2.
For example. After section 1.3. It jumps to chapter 10, and continues on until 16.6, where it goes back to section 2.1 after that chapter.
I've tried renaming all the files in the daisy book, but it still plays in that strange order. Is there something else I can try to fix this behavior?

Quentin Christensen

Hi Robert,

Sorry for the problems, I'm aware of this issue, and I've been trying to chase up Glen who recorded the audio version for us, however I haven't been able to get hold of him - with the closure of a lot of places and changes to work arrangements he might not be getting those messages.
If you are listening to the MP3 files (not using the Daisy structure) then the easiest solution is to renaming the files (rename everything before chapter 10 to add a 0 to the start).

Using the daisy version it will require the daisy creation software.  I will look into what is involved in that myself now.

Regards

Quentin.

On Wed, Apr 15, 2020 at 7:25 AM Robert Kingett <kingettr@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]
[Reason: I clerified some language and gave a hyperlink to the book in the NV Access store.]

I've been trying to fix this all day and I can't figure out how to fix the book structure errors in the basic training for NVDA audio DAISY version.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Hmmph, rebuild the book again.

Name files from0 to 9 as follows.

00

01 all to 09

then 10 11 12, etc.

put the number at the start of the filename of the mp3s.

Its how media players work.

What may be happening is you have 01 filename or filename 01 filename 02.

If you do it by filename numberless its likely to do it am alphabetical, so a b c d e f etc.

If you number the file it may see 01, but not 002, so 1 then everything with 1 in it, 1 10 up to 19 then 2 20 up up to 99.

You can also do it the way apple does it 0101 up to 01122 though its a bit bad for a book.

I use the 01 or 001 on my audio and then it plays things right for normal music and books.

Some programs that do this for say cd wripping will name things a b c d or whatever but put numbers after the track so track01.

Thats ok but it needs to be 01 name

02 name.

The other way to handle that is use a m3u to play things in the order you want but independant doing well.

Then again, if you know what all the files are, and put them in the order to be played  in the xml then it shouldn't matter.

On 15/04/2020 7:10 am, Robert Kingett wrote:

I've been trying to fix this all day and I can't figure out how to fix the book structure errors in the audio DAISY version.

Listening to the book on my stream, After chapter 1, section 1, it jumps to section 10, rather than going to chapter 2.

For example. After section 1.3. It jumps to chapter 10, and continues on until 16.6, where it goes back to section 2.1 after that chapter.

I've tried renaming all the files in the daisy book, but it still plays in that strange order. Is there something else I can try to fix this behavior?

Curtis Delzer

If you want, I can do all of this, for I have the software I use to create books with, give me a link and I can probably fix it in less than an hour of work or so, easy peezy. I do this every day so it is no great shakes for me.

Curtis Delzer
HS
K 6 V F O
Rialto, CA

curtis@calweb.com

On Wed, Apr 15, 2020 at 7:25 AM Robert Kingett <kingettr@gmail.com <mailto:kingettr@gmail.com>> wrote:
[Edited Message Follows]
[Reason: I clerified some language and gave a hyperlink to the book
in the NV Access store.]
I've been trying to fix this all day and I can't figure out how to
fix the book structure errors in the basic training for NVDA audio
DAISY version.
Listening to the book on my stream, After chapter 1, section 1, it
jumps to section 10, rather than going to chapter 2.
For example. After section 1.3. It jumps to chapter 10, and
continues on until 16.6, where it goes back to section 2.1 after
that chapter.
I've tried renaming all the files in the daisy book, but it still
plays in that strange order. Is there something else I can try to
fix this behavior?
--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager
Web: www.nvaccess.org <http://www.nvaccess.org/>
Training: https://www.nvaccess.org/shop/ <https://www.nvaccess.org/shop/>
Certification: https://certification.nvaccess.org/ <https://certification.nvaccess.org/>
User group: https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda <https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda>
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess <http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess>

Quentin Christensen

Hi Curtis,

I might take you up on that!  Or can I ask what software you use please?  I've been looking for daisy software to try to fix this.  The Daisy Consortium only push ePub now and have abandoned DAISY.

So, I guess the other question is what format does everyone read audio books in?  I never even knew that ePub was an audio format until recently, but should I be looking at converting the material to ePub 3 instead?  (We already supply ePub in the electronic text but that is just a text based book, without audio).

Regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Curtis Delzer

sure, I use "book wizard creator," from APH, but 2 things: (1) it is antiquated, :) and (2) all of what comes on the CD is not the entire program and those who talk about the software are not that easy to track down any more since it was written and revised in about 2011. :)
If you wish to try it, however, you'd need to communicate with APH.
Honestly, I'll do it with pleasure, just because I enjoy fixing things like that. :)

Curtis Delzer
HS
K 6 V F O
Rialto, CA

curtis@calweb.com

<http://www.nvaccess.org/ <http://www.nvaccess.org/>>
<https://www.nvaccess.org/shop/>>
<https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda>>
<https://twitter.com/NVAccess>>

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager
Web: www.nvaccess.org <http://www.nvaccess.org/>
Training: https://www.nvaccess.org/shop/ <https://www.nvaccess.org/shop/>
Certification: https://certification.nvaccess.org/ <https://certification.nvaccess.org/>
User group: https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda <https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda>
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess <http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess>

Jonathan COHN

EPUB3 is a merging of Daisy and epub. The primary difference is that daisy was distributed as a directory and epub as a zip compressed directory. EPUB also has a mime file that I have never seen in daisy  books, but I think it is fairly standard.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Date: Tuesday, April 14, 2020 at 10:48 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA DAISY structure error