Alt Keys In Edge Not Working For Menu Access

Ron Canazzi

Hi Group,

I have alluded to this topic in the topic about Edge and PDF files. I thought I would create a new topic so as to get focus more on it. I confess I should have done this a few hours earlier; sorry for the confusion.

In any case, when I went to test Sascha's issue with PDF in Edge VS Acrobat Reader, I found that in the latest version of Edge, that the hotkeys involving with activating menus such as home, settings and such, the hotkeys simply don't work.  I have to use the tab key to move to the tool bar and then activate the buttons with space bar. Oddly enough, when I highlight these buttons, I hear NVDA say: 'settings and more alt + S' and home alt + h.'

Has anyone else noticed this in latest version of Edge?

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Sascha Cowley

Hi Ron,

I don't have a help button (and using Alt+H doesn't seem to do anything).

But, at least for me, the shortcut for the "Settings and More" button is Alt+F (for foxtrot).

Regards,
Sascha

On 15/04/2020 12:45, Ron Canazzi wrote:
Hi Group,

I have alluded to this topic in the topic about Edge and PDF files. I thought I would create a new topic so as to get focus more on it. I confess I should have done this a few hours earlier; sorry for the confusion.

In any case, when I went to test Sascha's issue with PDF in Edge VS Acrobat Reader, I found that in the latest version of Edge, that the hotkeys involving with activating menus such as home, settings and such, the hotkeys simply don't work.  I have to use the tab key to move to the tool bar and then activate the buttons with space bar. Oddly enough, when I highlight these buttons, I hear NVDA say: 'settings and more alt + S' and home alt + h.'

Has anyone else noticed this in latest version of Edge?

Gerardo Corripio

Have you tried, for instance, Alt+plus a letter? The same thing happens with me in latest Edge, where the alt key alone doesn’t work. Hope this helps some.

Gera
Enviado desde mi iPhone SE de Telcel

El 14 abr 2020, a la(s) 9:45 p.m., Ron Canazzi <aa2vm@roadrunner.com> escribió:

Hi Group,

I have alluded to this topic in the topic about Edge and PDF files. I thought I would create a new topic so as to get focus more on it. I confess I should have done this a few hours earlier; sorry for the confusion.

In any case, when I went to test Sascha's issue with PDF in Edge VS Acrobat Reader, I found that in the latest version of Edge, that the hotkeys involving with activating menus such as home, settings and such, the hotkeys simply don't work. I have to use the tab key to move to the tool bar and then activate the buttons with space bar. Oddly enough, when I highlight these buttons, I hear NVDA say: 'settings and more alt + S' and home alt + h.'

Has anyone else noticed this in latest version of Edge?

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

JM Casey

Alt key alone doesn't work in a lot of modern probgrammes including, I think, chrome...modern programmes do not really have a "menu bar" as such so the alt key by itself does nothing, rather than take you there as it does in old windows programmes that have the traditional bar at the top of the window.

[...]

All of the Chromium-based browsers have never used a conventional menu that one makes display with just ALT.  There is a menu key, which can be activated either by ALT+F or ALT,DownArrow.

After doing so, what used to be the entire menu structure opens in dropdown with dividers between what had been the separate menus.  I personally like this better.  Virtually every single item on those menus has a shortcut letter or, even better, a full keyboard shortcut such that you never need to invoke the menu.  Here's a list of the most commonly used ones that are common across browsers.  In the case of new Edge, substitute the term Favorites for Bookmarks (and why Microsoft didn't ditch the Favorites terminology I'll never understand):

New Tab CTRL+T
New Window CTRL+N
New Private/Incognito Window CTRL+SHIFT+N

History CTRL+H
Open most recently closed tab CTRL+SHIFT+T

Bookmark this tab CTRL+D
Bookmark all open tabs CTRL+SHIFT+D
Open Bookmark Manager CTRL+SHIFT+O
Show Bookmarks Bar CTRL+SHIFT+B

Open Downloads Manager CTRL+J

Print CTRL+P

Find (browser find) CTRL+F

Settings ALT+F,S  or ALT,DownArrow,S

About browser (get version info) ALT+F,A

       ~ Madonna

Whoops, Ignore the last item for getting the About information for the browser, as this definitely varies across the Chromium-based browsers.

It's part of Help for Chrome (ALT+F,E,G) and Edge (ALT+F,B,M) and for Brave it's a standalone item reached via ALT+F,B,B,Enter  (there are two Bs because they use B as a shortcut letter for both Bookmarks and About Brave, so you have to hit it twice to gain focus on the latter).

       ~ Madonna

Gene

I’m not sure what the problem is that is being described, but this is evidently a change where what used to work in Edge no longer does.

In Chrome, just pressing alt doesn’t open the menu.  If you hold alt and type f, the menu opens.  But I don’t think this is the problem being discussed, though I’m not sure what is being described that used to work.

Alt key alone doesn't work in a lot of modern probgrammes including, I think, chrome...modern programmes do not really have a "menu bar" as such so the alt key by itself does nothing, rather than take you there as it does in old windows programmes  that have the traditional bar at the top of the window.

Have you tried, for instance, Alt+plus a letter? The same thing happens with me in latest Edge, where the alt key alone doesn’t work. Hope this helps some.

Gera
Enviado desde mi iPhone SE de Telcel

> El 14 abr 2020, a la(s) 9:45 p.m., Ron Canazzi <aa2vm@...> escribió:
>
> Hi Group,
>
> I have alluded to this topic in the topic about Edge and PDF files. I thought I would create a new topic so as to get focus more on it. I confess I should have done this a few hours earlier; sorry for the confusion.
>
> In any case, when I went to test Sascha's issue with PDF in Edge VS Acrobat Reader, I found that in the latest version of Edge, that the hotkeys involving with activating menus such as home, settings and such, the hotkeys simply don't work.  I have to use the tab key to move to the tool bar and then activate the buttons with space bar. Oddly enough, when I highlight these buttons, I hear NVDA say: 'settings and more alt + S' and home alt + h.'
>
> Has anyone else noticed this in latest version of Edge?
>

> --
> They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
> They ask: "How Happy are You?"
> I Say: "I'm as happy as a stow away chimpanzee on a banana boat!"

Ron Canazzi

Hi Brian,

I launch Edge.  I press alt by itself. I press Alt + F.  Nothing happens. This is new.  The latest version of Edge causes this on my system.
Any suggestions?

On 4/15/2020 5:46 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
[...]

Hi Gene,

I don't know how much  clearer I can make it. Apparently, I may be the only one having this issue.  As stated in a previous message.  I launch Edge.  I press alt by itself.  I Press alt + F.  I press alt + S.  Nothing happens.  I used to get some new page of settings load with either just the alt Key or the alt + F key.  Now nothing happens.

On 4/15/2020 6:56 PM, Gene wrote:
I’m not sure what the problem is that is being described, but this is evidently a change where what used to work in Edge no longer does.

In Chrome, just pressing alt doesn’t open the menu.  If you hold alt and type f, the menu opens.  But I don’t think this is the problem being discussed, though I’m not sure what is being described that used to work.

Alt key alone doesn't work in a lot of modern probgrammes including, I think, chrome...modern programmes do not really have a "menu bar" as such so the alt key by itself does nothing, rather than take you there as it does in old windows programmes  that have the traditional bar at the top of the window.

Have you tried, for instance, Alt+plus a letter? The same thing happens with me in latest Edge, where the alt key alone doesn’t work. Hope this helps some.

Gera
Enviado desde mi iPhone SE de Telcel

> El 14 abr 2020, a la(s) 9:45 p.m., Ron Canazzi <aa2vm@...> escribió:
>
> Hi Group,
>
> I have alluded to this topic in the topic about Edge and PDF files. I thought I would create a new topic so as to get focus more on it. I confess I should have done this a few hours earlier; sorry for the confusion.
>
> In any case, when I went to test Sascha's issue with PDF in Edge VS Acrobat Reader, I found that in the latest version of Edge, that the hotkeys involving with activating menus such as home, settings and such, the hotkeys simply don't work.  I have to use the tab key to move to the tool bar and then activate the buttons with space bar. Oddly enough, when I highlight these buttons, I hear NVDA say: 'settings and more alt + S' and home alt + h.'
>
> Has anyone else noticed this in latest version of Edge?
>

> --
> They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
> They ask: "How Happy are You?"
> I Say: "I'm as happy as a stow away chimpanzee on a banana boat!"

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Ron,

           Any time someone starts having "weird issues" with Windows 10 or one of its core components, the first thing I recommend is:  Using SFC (System File Checker) and DISM (Deployment Imaging Servicing and Management) to Repair Windows 8 & 10

       ~ Madonna

Gene

I saw the message before you answered mine.  I didn’t understand the problem before.  I don’t know what is causing the problem.  This won’t solve the problem but it will give you access to a lot of settings in Edge, assuming it does what it does in Chrome.
In the address bar, type about colon settings and press enter.  My e-mail program doesn’t let me type the syntax properly so I wrote out the colon.  Don’t space anywhere in this address.  The settings page will open.  As for how to actually solve the problem and get access to the menu, I don’t know.  Maybe you could uninstall and reinstall it.

Alt key alone doesn't work in a lot of modern probgrammes including, I think, chrome...modern programmes do not really have a "menu bar" as such so the alt key by itself does nothing, rather than take you there as it does in old windows programmes  that have the traditional bar at the top of the window.

Have you tried, for instance, Alt+plus a letter? The same thing happens with me in latest Edge, where the alt key alone doesn’t work. Hope this helps some.

Gera
Enviado desde mi iPhone SE de Telcel

> El 14 abr 2020, a la(s) 9:45 p.m., Ron Canazzi mailto:aa2vm@... escribió:
>
> Hi Group,
>
> I have alluded to this topic in the topic about Edge and PDF files. I thought I would create a new topic so as to get focus more on it. I confess I should have done this a few hours earlier; sorry for the confusion.
>
> In any case, when I went to test Sascha's issue with PDF in Edge VS Acrobat Reader, I found that in the latest version of Edge, that the hotkeys involving with activating menus such as home, settings and such, the hotkeys simply don't work.  I have to use the tab key to move to the tool bar and then activate the buttons with space bar. Oddly enough, when I highlight these buttons, I hear NVDA say: 'settings and more alt + S' and home alt + h.'
>
> Has anyone else noticed this in latest version of Edge?
>

> --
> They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
> They ask: "How Happy are You?"
> I Say: "I'm as happy as a stow away chimpanzee on a banana boat!"

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Inam Uddin

I have seen several email about this issue, but to me it is working fine!

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

I saw the message before you answered mine.  I didn’t understand the problem before.  I don’t know what is causing the problem.  This won’t solve the problem but it will give you access to a lot of settings in Edge, assuming it does what it does in Chrome.

In the address bar, type about colon settings and press enter.  My e-mail program doesn’t let me type the syntax properly so I wrote out the colon.  Don’t space anywhere in this address.  The settings page will open.  As for how to actually solve the problem and get access to the menu, I don’t know.  Maybe you could uninstall and reinstall it.

Alt key alone doesn't work in a lot of modern probgrammes including, I think, chrome...modern programmes do not really have a "menu bar" as such so the alt key by itself does nothing, rather than take you there as it does in old windows programmes  that have the traditional bar at the top of the window.

Have you tried, for instance, Alt+plus a letter? The same thing happens with me in latest Edge, where the alt key alone doesn’t work. Hope this helps some.

Gera
Enviado desde mi iPhone SE de Telcel

> El 14 abr 2020, a la(s) 9:45 p.m., Ron Canazzi mailto:aa2vm@... escribió:
>
> Hi Group,
>
> I have alluded to this topic in the topic about Edge and PDF files. I thought I would create a new topic so as to get focus more on it. I confess I should have done this a few hours earlier; sorry for the confusion.
>
> In any case, when I went to test Sascha's issue with PDF in Edge VS Acrobat Reader, I found that in the latest version of Edge, that the hotkeys involving with activating menus such as home, settings and such, the hotkeys simply don't work.  I have to use the tab key to move to the tool bar and then activate the buttons with space bar. Oddly enough, when I highlight these buttons, I hear NVDA say: 'settings and more alt + S' and home alt + h.'
>
> Has anyone else noticed this in latest version of Edge?
>

> --
> They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
> They ask: "How Happy are You?"
> I Say: "I'm as happy as a stow away chimpanzee on a banana boat!"

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Ron Canazzi

Hi Brian,

I tried both these programs as described in your word document.  With System File Checker, the process took about 15 minutes and all I got at the end was the prompt in the administrative window. When I ran DISM, it took also about 15 minutes.  As I write this, it has been sitting for another 15 minutes with the following display.
[26=100.0% 26=]

Then it just now went back to a command prompt with no results.

On 4/15/2020 10:33 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
Ron,

           Any time someone starts having "weird issues" with Windows 10 or one of its core components, the first thing I recommend is:  Using SFC (System File Checker) and DISM (Deployment Imaging Servicing and Management) to Repair Windows 8 & 10

       ~ Madonna

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Franjo Lučić

Hi,

I haven't been following this thread from the beginning so I apologise if this has already been mentioned, but you might have accidentally put your browser in full screen mode. Try pressing f11 and see if that fixes your issue.

On 16/04/2020 09:11, Ron Canazzi wrote:
[...]

The results from SFC and DISM both are presented as the last thing they put out, generally.  From your description both probably, and I say probably as I can't know without knowing what they reported at their conclusions, went OK.

My next step would be: Doing a Windows 10 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the Windows 10 ISO file

By the way, what is your Version and Build of Windows 10?  (Winver command)

       ~ Madonna

Lino Morales

Ron. Do you happen to turn full screen by pressing F11 by accident? If so hit it again and it will turn off. This could be your problem. Let us know.

On 4/15/2020 6:56 PM, Gene wrote:

I’m not sure what the problem is that is being described, but this is evidently a change where what used to work in Edge no longer does.

In Chrome, just pressing alt doesn’t open the menu.  If you hold alt and type f, the menu opens.  But I don’t think this is the problem being discussed, though I’m not sure what is being described that used to work.

Alt key alone doesn't work in a lot of modern probgrammes including, I think, chrome...modern programmes do not really have a "menu bar" as such so the alt key by itself does nothing, rather than take you there as it does in old windows programmes  that have the traditional bar at the top of the window.

Have you tried, for instance, Alt+plus a letter? The same thing happens with me in latest Edge, where the alt key alone doesn’t work. Hope this helps some.

Gera
Enviado desde mi iPhone SE de Telcel

> El 14 abr 2020, a la(s) 9:45 p.m., Ron Canazzi <aa2vm@...> escribió:
>
> Hi Group,
>
> I have alluded to this topic in the topic about Edge and PDF files. I thought I would create a new topic so as to get focus more on it. I confess I should have done this a few hours earlier; sorry for the confusion.
>
> In any case, when I went to test Sascha's issue with PDF in Edge VS Acrobat Reader, I found that in the latest version of Edge, that the hotkeys involving with activating menus such as home, settings and such, the hotkeys simply don't work.  I have to use the tab key to move to the tool bar and then activate the buttons with space bar. Oddly enough, when I highlight these buttons, I hear NVDA say: 'settings and more alt + S' and home alt + h.'
>
> Has anyone else noticed this in latest version of Edge?
>

> --
> They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
> They ask: "How Happy are You?"
> I Say: "I'm as happy as a stow away chimpanzee on a banana boat!"

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Ron,

            After you've checked the Full Screen bit, though I still suggest doing a Repair Install, you do have the option of just uninstalling and reinstalling the Edge browser.  When you do it this way you will likely lose anything you do not have synced to the cloud by being logged in to Edge when using it, which means everything if you've been browsing as a guest since the beginning.

You must have opened a PowerShell session elevated with admin privileges first.

To remove the Edge Browser app from all current accounts on the PC, enter the following command:

Get-appxpackage -allusers Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge | Remove-AppxPackage -AllUsers

To reinstall the Edge Browser app for all current accounts on the PC, enter the following command:

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers -Name Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml” -Verbose}

       ~ Madonna

Ron Canazzi

Hi Leno,

I checked that and I did not have full screen enabled.

In fact with Edge, if you press F11, you get a prompt asking you if you wish to disable full screen with F11.

On 4/15/2020 6:56 PM, Gene wrote:

I’m not sure what the problem is that is being described, but this is evidently a change where what used to work in Edge no longer does.

In Chrome, just pressing alt doesn’t open the menu.  If you hold alt and type f, the menu opens.  But I don’t think this is the problem being discussed, though I’m not sure what is being described that used to work.

Alt key alone doesn't work in a lot of modern probgrammes including, I think, chrome...modern programmes do not really have a "menu bar" as such so the alt key by itself does nothing, rather than take you there as it does in old windows programmes  that have the traditional bar at the top of the window.

Have you tried, for instance, Alt+plus a letter? The same thing happens with me in latest Edge, where the alt key alone doesn’t work. Hope this helps some.

Gera
Enviado desde mi iPhone SE de Telcel

> El 14 abr 2020, a la(s) 9:45 p.m., Ron Canazzi <aa2vm@...> escribió:
>
> Hi Group,
>
> I have alluded to this topic in the topic about Edge and PDF files. I thought I would create a new topic so as to get focus more on it. I confess I should have done this a few hours earlier; sorry for the confusion.
>
> In any case, when I went to test Sascha's issue with PDF in Edge VS Acrobat Reader, I found that in the latest version of Edge, that the hotkeys involving with activating menus such as home, settings and such, the hotkeys simply don't work.  I have to use the tab key to move to the tool bar and then activate the buttons with space bar. Oddly enough, when I highlight these buttons, I hear NVDA say: 'settings and more alt + S' and home alt + h.'
>
> Has anyone else noticed this in latest version of Edge?
>

> --
> They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
> They ask: "How Happy are You?"
> I Say: "I'm as happy as a stow away chimpanzee on a banana boat!"

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Kevin Cussick

Hi Ron, not sure of the version that edge is on using stable latest Sorry Brian! I know You like version numbers and tried this using nvda and all works here. wonder if You have tried running the registration com fixing tool it can't hurt.

On Thu, Apr 16, 2020 at 04:14 PM, Kevin Cussick wrote:
I know You like version numbers
Yep, and particularly when it comes to Edge, as some people are using the stable builds while others are using the Beta and Dev builds (I don't know any Canary users).

But even outside that, there are very frequent claims of using the "latest" {insert specific software here} that, when asked for a version number and such is produced, turns out to be anything but.

These are really important if one is to give reliable advice, and I learned that a long long time ago when I was more on the receiving end than providing end.

       ~ Madonna