Topics

strange behavior with Microsoft sapi 5 voices and NVDA

Tony Ballou

Houdy folks,

Thanks for coming through for me over the weekend with my friend's computer issue.  The fixes are in place, and everything is as it should be on that score. Now I've got one of my own that's got me baffled. Here's what's going down.

  I had some hardware repairs done on my desktop just before we were all thrown into chaos. Everything was fixed internally and all's gravy on that side of the ledger.  However, there is a strange thing going on with Microsoft's Sapi 5 voices and NVDA that's got me scratching my head.  Please bare with me as I try to explain this because it's a new one on me.

When I initially log on to enter my password, the proper voice that I use which is neospeech Paul comes on as it should. However, now this is where things get dicey. Once past the log on screen the Sapi 5 voices loose all functionality, and I have to switch to the windows one core voices for things to function in somewhat of a proper manner. I've tried all of the tricks that I know to put things right, but nothing works.

I wouldn't normally put up a fuss about it, because I can use the one core voices just fine for most tasks.  however, Some of the games that I play to help keep me sane during this crazy time that we're living in like chess, and cribbage  also use the Microsoft Sapi 5 voices, and they've all been compromised as well. What's happened, and does anyone have a fix for this strange issue? Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks much and everyone stay safe.

Tony

Sarah k Alawami

How do you mean they were compramised I'm not really clear as to what's going on here.

Take care

On 16 Apr 2020, at 10:42, Tony Ballou wrote:

[...]

Jackie

Tony, what sort of hardware repairs were done on your machine? Is
there any possibility your activation for the Neospeech voices were
broken by that?

How do you mean they were compramised I'm not really clear as to what's
going on here.

Take care

[website.](http://www.tffppodcast.com)

and you can also [follow us on twitter](http://twitter.com/tffppodcast)

Our [discord](http://discord.tffppodcast.com) is where you will know
when we go live on [twitch.](http://twitch.tv/ke7zum] Feel free to give
the channel a follow and see what is up there.

For stream archives, products you can buy and more visit [my main lbry
page](http://lbry.tv/@ke7zum) and my [tffp lbry
page](http://lbry.tv/@tffppodcast) YOu will also be able to buy some of
my products and eBooks there.

[here](Http://patreon.com/tffppodcast)

[...]

Ralf Kefferpuetz

Have you tried to set Paul as your voice and then to go into the NVDA settings - general - and activate Use currently saved settings on the logon and other secure screens (requires administrator privileges) button?

[...]

Hi Jackie,

I just had the power switch repaired, that was to my knowledge the only hardware issue going on.  As far as the problem goes, it's with all of the sapi 5 voices including Neospeech.  As for the log on screen, suggestion, I checked that out, first, and it would work if the problem was actually there.  The problem occurs after things get past the log on screen.

Tony

On 4/16/2020 3:16 PM, Jackie wrote:
[...]

Tony, since this clearly affects more than just NVDA, let me suggest a
reinstall of your SAPI5 voices.

On 4/16/20, Tony Ballou <cyberpro224@outlook.com> wrote:
[...]

That's something I was thinking about possibly having to do, we're on the same wavelength. Trust me I already as they say, googled it so we don't even have to go there.  Needless to say, the hits were enormous, and the answer is the proverbial needle in a haystack.   Where can you find the actual executable file for performing the re-install, that's the question now.

Tony

On 4/16/2020 3:37 PM, Jackie wrote:

[...]

Where'd you get the voices from?

[...]

to subscribe to the feed click
[here](http://feeds.feedburner.com/tffp)
[...]

Ladies & Gentlemen, why not avail yourselves of Microsoft Windows & Office Accessibility Support?   U.S. Toll Free:  (800) 936-5900

US Microsoft & Windows Accessibility Support Webpage

UK Microsoft & Windows Accessibility Support Webpage

When you can go to the source, or close to it, at no cost it makes sense to at least give it a try.  Even more so when the issue crosses products, which, as you've already noted, suggests the issue is on Microsoft's end.

       ~ Madonna

Jackie

Brian, the reason I didn't suggest that was because the voices he's
working with are 3rd party, although considered sapi5.

Do you think they'd help w/that? Uncertain.

Ladies & Gentlemen, why not avail yourselves of Microsoft Windows & Office
Accessibility Support?   U.S. Toll Free: (800) 936-5900 (
https://hangouts.google.com/?action=chat&;pn=%2B18009365900&hl=en&authuser=0
)

US Microsoft & Windows Accessibility Support Webpage (
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Accessibility/disability-answer-desk?activetab=contact-pivot%3aprimaryr9
)

UK Microsoft & Windows Accessibility Support Webpage (
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/accessibility/disability-answer-desk?activetab=contact-pivot:primaryr9
)

When you can go to the source, or close to it, at no cost it makes sense to
at least give it a try.  Even more so when the issue crosses products,
which, as you've already noted, suggests the issue is on Microsoft's end.

*Power is being told you're not loved and not being destroyed by it.*

~ Madonna

Jackie,

             True, if they're third party voices it's the third party that's responsible for them.  I hadn't noticed that detail, for which I apologize.

             It still couldn't hurt to try, though I doubt they will help.

       ~ Madonna

Gene

I’m not at all sure reinstalling will accomplish anything.  There is a way to repair SAPI 5, which I don’t know if it will help.  If the voices work before login, it appears they don’t need reinstallation.  I wonder if it is a registry problem.  While I don’t know, maybe the repair procedure or utility might correct that.  The voices clearly work.  They work on the login screen.  Here again, I don’t know but reinstalling SAPI voices might be something to do after running the repair.  Also, if you are going to fool around trying various things, I wonder if and how you would set the voice to something that isn’t SAPI 5 before login so that if trying things makes things worse, you will have speech on that screen.

I don’t know what was done to your computer, but I believe that even for something unrelated to software, if a computer is brought into a shop, routine diagnostic tests and maintenance may be done and I suspect something was done that caused the problems.  Those who have more technical knowledge and know what shops routinely do may want to comment.  In thinking about what you are describing and about a shop I used to use years ago, I’m beginning to think that if you take a computer in for a specific problem and it wrks properly aside from that, that it might be a good idea to instruct the shop to do nothing else.

Sent: Thursday, April 16, 2020 2:48 PM

Hi Jackie,

That's something I was thinking about possibly having to do, we're on
the same wavelength. Trust me I already as they say, googled it so we
don't even have to go there.  Needless to say, the hits were enormous,
and the answer is the proverbial needle in a haystack.   Where can you
find the actual executable file for performing the re-install, that's
the question now.

Tony

On 4/16/2020 3:37 PM, Jackie wrote:

> Tony, since this clearly affects more than just NVDA, let me suggest a
> reinstall of your SAPI5 voices.
>
> On 4/16/20, Tony Ballou <cyberpro224@...> wrote:
>> Hi Jackie,
>>

>> I just had the power switch repaired, that was to my knowledge the only
>> hardware issue going on.  As far as the problem goes, it's with all of
>> the sapi 5 voices including Neospeech.  As for the log on screen,
>> suggestion, I checked that out, first, and it would work if the problem
>> was actually there.  The problem occurs after things get past the log on
>> screen.
>>

>> Tony
>>
>> On 4/16/2020 3:16 PM, Jackie wrote:
>>> Tony, what sort of hardware repairs were done on your machine? Is
>>> there any possibility your activation for the Neospeech voices were
>>> broken by that?

Tony Ballou

Hey Gene,

There's another thought that crossed my mind as well, the utility that you're speaking of I seem to remember hearing or reading something about such a thing quite a few years back but have no idea if it's still in existence. I'll be ringing Microsoft sometime tomorrow, if I can't find this utility.  Thanks for bringing that up.

Tony

Sent: Thursday, April 16, 2020 2:48 PM

Hi Jackie,

That's something I was thinking about possibly having to do, we're on
the same wavelength. Trust me I already as they say, googled it so we
don't even have to go there.  Needless to say, the hits were enormous,
and the answer is the proverbial needle in a haystack.   Where can you
find the actual executable file for performing the re-install, that's
the question now.

Tony

On 4/16/2020 3:37 PM, Jackie wrote:

> Tony, since this clearly affects more than just NVDA, let me suggest a
> reinstall of your SAPI5 voices.
>
> On 4/16/20, Tony Ballou <cyberpro224@...> wrote:
>> Hi Jackie,
>>

>> I just had the power switch repaired, that was to my knowledge the only
>> hardware issue going on.  As far as the problem goes, it's with all of
>> the sapi 5 voices including Neospeech.  As for the log on screen,
>> suggestion, I checked that out, first, and it would work if the problem
>> was actually there.  The problem occurs after things get past the log on
>> screen.
>>

>> Tony
>>
>> On 4/16/2020 3:16 PM, Jackie wrote:
>>> Tony, what sort of hardware repairs were done on your machine? Is
>>> there any possibility your activation for the Neospeech voices were
>>> broken by that?

Kevin Cussick

Hi here is a url to download a little utility, this is supposed to fix any problems with sapy voices. use at Your own risk. url below.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ame5fFtwuKO3zxpx6x9pgVtswi7n?e=YYREWO

On 4/16/2020 8:38 PM, Gene wrote:
[...]

Curtis Delzer

you may have to just do a factory reset of your configuration. you won't use your add-ons, but I had that happen with voices I try to use and then go back to sapi 4 which then can't load. When I do that factory reset of configuration settings, it clears up.

Curtis Delzer
HS
K 6 V F O
Rialto, CA