Tip for canceling an Amazon subscription using NVDA & Windows 10

Jackie

I hope this helps others here. Sorry to those using an OS other than
Win 10, as this won't help yall.

I had the very unfortunate experience of needing to cancel an Amazon
subscribe-and-save subscription, admittedly due to my own stupidity.
The experience was, however, made considerably worse due to
accessibility issues. I hesitated to call the Amazon Disability
Support desk because the last time I put a phone call in, what I
needed didn't get done, ie, somehow they thought I didn't get my
merchandise, they issued a refund, I asked them to cancel that because
I did indeed receive my order, & they gave me my money back anyway. O
well. I tried to be honest. Be that as it may, here's what I ended up
doing.

In order to cancel a subscription, you log into your account, then
activate the 'orders & lists' link, then the subscribe-&-save link.
Find the name of the subscription you wish to deactivate. In my case
it began with: "Purina Pro Plan Veterinary Diets Probiotics Cat
Supplement..."

Using object navigation, I navigated to the previous object (nvda +
shift + left arrow on my laptop. It's a graphic. Press NVDA+r to
recognize the content. Now press the spacebar to open the options
where you can change delivery options or cancel the subscription.

This should not have to be like that, ie, this "hovering" over an icon
to make options appear is a well-known accessibility "no-no". Having
thus said, complaining to the disability support desk would be utterly
futile, as they don't have either the language skills or knowledge to
file such a complaint, though having thus said, I'm thoroughly
grateful for their being available & I very much appreciate their
service.

At any rate, as I said, I hope this helps someone who finds themselves
similarly situated. Many blessings for your weekend.

Jackie

This morning I learned another, less cumbersome way to do this. Simply
go to the amazon.com/access site, activate the 'Your Account' link,
then the 'subscribe & save' link, & then the 'subscription' link.
There will be an 'edit' link you can activate in order to edit your
subscription. It's a lot easier. I'm glad to see it's actually
accessible here.

Jackie,

           What follows is not aimed personally, but yours is an example of something I'm trying to cut down on.

            For those who have additions to a topic they previously started, and that topic was started within the last several days, please post those additions on the original topic.  Using a new subject line splits the second topic out from the first, and those following a topic will generally keep reading any time a new message comes through in regard to it.

            So if, for instance, you start a topic requesting help on a specific thing, entitled, "Help with {specific thing}", that you later find a solution for yourself, please do not post a separate topic, "Solved: Help with {specific thing}."   Just add your solved message to the end of the ongoing topic, "Help with {specific thing}.  It keeps all information related to a specific instance of a specific issue bundled up in one tidy package, which is really helpful for those searching the archive in the future.

             I have already merged this back into the original topic, Tip for canceling an Amazon subscription using NVDA & Windows 10

       ~ Madonna

Jackie

I hate it when I cause a moderator more work, because I am 1, & I hate
having to do it.

Humblest apologies, Brian. :(.

[...]

*Power is being told you're not loved and not being destroyed by it.*

~ Madonna