locked Menus In New Microsoft Edge

Ron Canazzi

Hi Group,

Remember a few days ago when I was saying that the alt + keystrokes weren't working in the new Microsoft Edge.  I was saying that alt + F and alt + S weren't working to bring up the system menus or anything else.  I guess that's because the proper keystroke is alt + X.  It helps if you know the proper keystrokes.

The reason I am sending this message is because I got a half dozen references to what I should do to bring up the system menus and such.  They were all wrong apparently.

Again, the proper keystroke is alt + X.  That brings you up to all the items you usually get with traditional drop down or pull down menus in Firefox, the old Internet Explorer and such.
You then have to use a kind of combination tree view where you collapse and expand items with left/right arrow keys and also a kind of dialogue where you move up and down with arrow keys and press enter on items or note the proper keystrokes: control + I for favorites, Control + J for downloads, reading list Control + M and so on.

For settings, you have to press enter on that item and then it opens up the tabs such as general, advanced, privacy and security and so on.
The major issue with this menu structure is that you can't move by first letter navigation. I have over a hundred favorites in 14 folders.  I have to arrow through these folders and bookmarks to find the one I want.  Maybe this could be addressed by sending a bug report to Microsoft and seeing if they can do anything about it.

--

They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

On Sat, Apr 18, 2020 at 01:18 PM, Ron Canazzi wrote:
Again, the proper keystroke is alt + X.
No, Ron, it's not.  There is no ALT+X shortcut in new Edge.  Microsoft always publishes its keyboard shortcuts for its products, and new Edge is no exception:

Keyboard shortcuts in Microsoft Edge

ALT+F or ALT,DownArrow will bring up the Edge menu (just like it brings up the Chrome menu, Brave Menu, and all other Chromium-based browser menus).

You have something really, really weird going on, and that needs to be addressed.  But ALT+X is not a valid keyboard shortcut for new Edge, when working correctly, period.  It does nothing and is not documented as a keyboard shortcut for Chromium-based Edge.

       ~ Madonna

Ron Canazzi

Well how come that keystrokes works then!?

On 4/18/2020 1:24 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Sat, Apr 18, 2020 at 01:18 PM, Ron Canazzi wrote:
Again, the proper keystroke is alt + X.
No, Ron, it's not.  There is no ALT+X shortcut in new Edge.  Microsoft always publishes its keyboard shortcuts for its products, and new Edge is no exception:

Keyboard shortcuts in Microsoft Edge

ALT+F or ALT,DownArrow will bring up the Edge menu (just like it brings up the Chrome menu, Brave Menu, and all other Chromium-based browser menus).

You have something really, really weird going on, and that needs to be addressed.  But ALT+X is not a valid keyboard shortcut for new Edge, when working correctly, period.  It does nothing and is not documented as a keyboard shortcut for Chromium-based Edge.

       ~ Madonna

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Alt+X is applicable if using old Edge, not new Edge.
Cheers,
Joseph

[...]

Forgot to note:  ALT+X is the menu button in the Original Edge, that is unquestionable.

You do not have the new Edge, and I'll bet if you do ALT+X, Open the Settings item, and scroll to the bottom of the General Settings, which opens initially, you are going to find, under the About this app section exactly what follows or a version number very close to it:

Microsoft Edge 44.18362.449.0
Microsoft EdgeHTML 18.18363

That is absolutely, positively not new Edge.

Power is being told you're not loved andA not being destroyed by it.

       ~ Madonna

Ron Canazzi

Hi Brian,

I am thoroughly confused.  I again tried these keystrokes on two systems and they do not work.  The alt + X keystroke works. It must be the correct version of Edge, because the interface is very Chrome-like.

What gives!!!

[...]

Because, as my last message, and Joseph's too, note:  You do not have the new Edge.

This is one of the reasons why I beg, plead, and nag for people to look up their software version numbers.  Asserting you have something (and that's any you, not just you, Ron) and verifying what you have are two different things.

If you want the new stable Edge then you need to go to the Microsoft Edge Page, activate the Download for Windows 10 button, and go through the rest of the process for installing it.

       ~ Madonna

On Sat, Apr 18, 2020 at 01:32 PM, Ron Canazzi wrote:
I am thoroughly confused.
Indeed you are.  And if you will not take the word of two different subject matter experts, nor take the effort to verify what you have, there is nothing more to be done.

You do not have the new Edge.  It is that simple.

       ~ Madonna

David Griffith

I  have the new Edge build  18363

And alt X  is working fine for me here.

Incidentally alt F and alt down arrow has never worked for me since I got the new Edge.

David Griffith

On Sat, Apr 18, 2020 at 01:32 PM, Ron Canazzi wrote:

I am thoroughly confused.

Indeed you are.  And if you will not take the word of two different subject matter experts, nor take the effort to verify what you have, there is nothing more to be done.

You do not have the new Edge.  It is that simple.

       ~ Madonna

Hi,

To expand on what Brian wrote: to find out which Edge you’ve got, from Edge window, press NVDA+F1 to open log viewer. One of the information recorded is app (product) version you’ve got. If appModule.productVersion says:

  • 79 or higher: new Edge
  • Under 79: old Edge

At this point, I recommend installing Edge 81 or later (although you’ll lose PDF reading functionality for a while, it is fixed in Edge 83 development builds; I’ll write a companion message to Win10 forum).

Cheers,

Joseph

[...]

Nope – you have old Edge.

Cheers,

Joseph

Incidentally alt F and alt down arrow has never worked for me since I got the new Edge.

David Griffith

On Sat, Apr 18, 2020 at 01:32 PM, Ron Canazzi wrote:

I am thoroughly confused.

Indeed you are.  And if you will not take the word of two different subject matter experts, nor take the effort to verify what you have, there is nothing more to be done.

You do not have the new Edge.  It is that simple.

       ~ Madonna

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, Brian,

I have the new Microsoft edge and I can verify that alt X doesn’t work. You have to use the alt key or alt F like you would in chrome.

Rosemarie

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Because, as my last message, and Joseph's too, note:  You do not have the new Edge.

This is one of the reasons why I beg, plead, and nag for people to look up their software version numbers.  Asserting you have something (and that's any you, not just you, Ron) and verifying what you have are two different things.

If you want the new stable Edge then you need to go to the Microsoft Edge Page, activate the Download for Windows 10 button, and go through the rest of the process for installing it.

       ~ Madonna

Hi,

Microsoft may have not updated their documentation, and if so, expect a feedback to be raised about it to Microsoft Edge team.

Cheers,

Joseph

[...]

I have no idea how this happened.  I distinctly remember installing the new Edge version 79.X a few weeks ago.  I don't use Edge a lot and I think I may have tried to delete the shortcut I placed on the desktop to the old Edge. Maybe I accidentally deleted the new Edge shortcut.  If I do have the new edge installed, how do I distinguish it from the old one in terms of finding the executable under the program files or program files (X86) folder structure to reestablish the proper shortcut to the new Edge?

My apologies!

On Sat, Apr 18, 2020 at 01:38 PM, David Griffith wrote:
I  have the new Edge build  18363
No, you have the old Edge.

I am not going to keep arguing with people about this.  If you have new Edge, ALT+F,B,M will open the About Microsoft Edge tab, and you will get a version number that looks like:

Version 83.0.478.10 (Official build) dev (64-bit)

It will be lower than 83 if you are not on the Dev channel, as Joseph has noted the current stable version will be 81 dot something.

There is nothing that says 18363 that has any connection to the new Edge, period.

       ~ Madonna

Hi,

One way is reinstalling Edge, which will restore the shortcut to the new Edge (you need to install the stable channel version).

Cheers,

Joseph

On Sat, Apr 18, 2020 at 01:51 PM, Ron Canazzi wrote:
If I do have the new edge installed, how do I distinguish it from the old one in terms of finding the executable under the program files or program files (X86) folder structure to reestablish the proper shortcut to the new Edge?
Ron,

           You don't have it installed, at least you don't have the stable version installed, as if you did you would no longer have any access whatsoever to original edge.  Please just go to the Edge Download Page, activate the Download for Windows 10 button, and follow the install procedure.

       ~ Madonna

On Sat, Apr 18, 2020 at 01:44 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:
Microsoft may have not updated their documentation
Joseph, trust me, I always check what's at a page before posting the link.  It is for the new Edge and explicitly states that at the top, along with a link to the legacy Edge documentation if you happen to be looking for that.  It's up to date.

       ~ Madonna

Hi,

Then I wonder where folks got old Edge documentation and claim that it is the official list of keystrokes… The only explanation is the one we have – old Edge, something people should abandon and move on.

Cheers,

Joseph

On Sat, Apr 18, 2020 at 01:44 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Microsoft may have not updated their documentation

Joseph, trust me, I always check what's at a page before posting the link.  It is for the new Edge and explicitly states that at the top, along with a link to the legacy Edge documentation if you happen to be looking for that.  It's up to date.

       ~ Madonna

Ron Canazzi

Hi Group,

When I use the search under start menu and type in Microsoft Edge, it brought up the new edge.  Here is the version number under the help/about page:
Microsoft Edge is up to date.Version 83.0.478.10 (Official build) dev (64-bit)

So I did have it installed after all and I apparently deleted the wrong shortcut from the desktop.  I can't seem to find how to create a shortcut for the new Edge on the desktop.

Wow what a bonar I pulled: that's old first ward Buffalo New York lingo for what a terrible mistake!'