Topics

Good News About New Edge

Ron Canazzi

Hi Group,

Well after my debacal of Saturday (boy do I still feel so bum about that one!)  I do have some good news.  There had been discussion about how the new Edge browser had broken the reading of PDF in the official release.  Well due to all the confusion of several months ago, I had downloaded and installed the DEV version.  Now that I am running that as the sole version of the new Edge, I can report that indeed (as I believe Brian Vogal had already reported) the PDF issue is fixed in DEV version 83.X.

I wanted to read my church directory which is a PDF document and it handled the document better than the Adobe Reader itself.  I was able to do a search using the NVDA Insert + Control + F keystroke and it moved directly from page 1 to page 10 where the information I wanted was located.  I was able to copy this information and paste it into an e-mail message in Thunderbird with no problem.  This is really the best rendering of  a complex PDF file with tables and links and such that I have ever seen before.

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"
I Say: "I'm as happy as a stow away chimpanzee on a banana boat!"

Ron,

Thanks for the update.

I am going to have to give Edge a whirl as a PDF reader just to try it out.  The fact that the screen reader search works well with the PDF reading functionality, along with copy and paste being easy as well, are both big bonuses.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363  

Science has become just another voice in the room; it has lost its platform.  Now, you simply declare your own truth.

~ Dr. Paul A. Offit, in New York Times article, How Anti-Vaccine Sentiment Took Hold in the United States, September 23, 2019

P. Otter

Hello Ron!
perhaps you can tell me what to do in the following situation:
there are documents I need to undersign.
I know, it is possible!
but can you tell me how to do that?
and what do I need to undersign a pdf document with edge?
you're right it works perfectly!
cheers
paul otter

Op 20-4-2020 om 15:49 schreef Ron Canazzi:

Hi Group,

Well after my debacal of Saturday (boy do I still feel so bum about that one!)  I do have some good news.  There had been discussion about how the new Edge browser had broken the reading of PDF in the official release.  Well due to all the confusion of several months ago, I had downloaded and installed the DEV version.  Now that I am running that as the sole version of the new Edge, I can report that indeed (as I believe Brian Vogal had already reported) the PDF issue is fixed in DEV version 83.X.

I wanted to read my church directory which is a PDF document and it handled the document better than the Adobe Reader itself.  I was able to do a search using the NVDA Insert + Control + F keystroke and it moved directly from page 1 to page 10 where the information I wanted was located.  I was able to copy this information and paste it into an e-mail message in Thunderbird with no problem.  This is really the best rendering of  a complex PDF file with tables and links and such that I have ever seen before.

Unless something has changed radically, and I'm not saying it hasn't, the PDF functionality in most browsers does not support editing of/in the PDF itself.

--

Science has become just another voice in the room; it has lost its platform.  Now, you simply declare your own truth.

~ Dr. Paul A. Offit, in New York Times article, How Anti-Vaccine Sentiment Took Hold in the United States, September 23, 2019

Sarah k Alawami

Yeah I pretty much use brave. It parses it just fine, especially when I get my tour briefings etc. I hope the brakeage in old chrome or what not is fixed and will come to brave soon ish. Lovinga pdf rendering.

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. . For more info go to our website.

to subscribe to the feed click here and you can also follow us on twitter

Our discord is where you will know when we go live on [twitch.](http://twitch.tv/ke7zum] Feel free to give the channel a follow and see what is up there.

For stream archives, products you can buy and more visit my main lbry page and my tffp lbry page YOu will also be able to buy some of my products and eBooks there.

Finally, to become a patron and help support the podcast go here

On 20 Apr 2020, at 7:11, Brian Vogel wrote:

Ron,

Thanks for the update.

I am going to have to give Edge a whirl as a PDF reader just to try it out.  The fact that the screen reader search works well with the PDF reading functionality, along with copy and paste being easy as well, are both big bonuses.

--