Topics

Is there a way to change the volume of NVDA's sounds?

John Isige

Hi all.

Pretty straightforward question, can it be done? I'm listening to some fairly faint videos so I have to crank my volume up. I lower the volume of my synth with the ring, but NVDA's sounds, e.g. going in and out of focus mode, are still pretty loud in comparison to everything else. I suppose I could just turn that sound off if it comes down to it, but I figured I'd find out if I'm missing something obvious first.

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, John,

Go to the voice menu with NVDA insert V. You’ll be in the voices menu. Tab until you hear volume. If it’s at 100 percent, use the left arrow to lower it.

Hope this helps.

Rosemarie

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Pretty straightforward question, can it be done? I'm listening to some

fairly faint videos so I have to crank my volume up. I lower the volume

of my synth with the ring, but NVDA's sounds, e.g. going in and out of

focus mode, are still pretty loud in comparison to everything else. I

suppose I could just turn that sound off if it comes down to it, but I

figured I'd find out if I'm missing something obvious first.

Lino Morales

John are these vids Youtube videos? If so check your volume is up on the page the vids are on.

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Pretty straightforward question, can it be done? I'm listening to some

fairly faint videos so I have to crank my volume up. I lower the volume

of my synth with the ring, but NVDA's sounds, e.g. going in and out of

focus mode, are still pretty loud in comparison to everything else. I

suppose I could just turn that sound off if it comes down to it, but I

figured I'd find out if I'm missing something obvious first.

Chris Mullins

                Hi

You could try switching off the focus change sounds in NVDA settings, NVDA will then announce focus changes verbally.  Alternatively, you could turn down System sounds in the Volume Mixer app.

Cheers

Chris

Pretty straightforward question, can it be done? I'm listening to some

fairly faint videos so I have to crank my volume up. I lower the volume

of my synth with the ring, but NVDA's sounds, e.g. going in and out of

focus mode, are still pretty loud in comparison to everything else. I

suppose I could just turn that sound off if it comes down to it, but I

figured I'd find out if I'm missing something obvious first.

Gene

I don’t know if system sounds would have any bearing on the volume of these sounds, though I doubt it.  These aren’t system sounds, they are NVDA sounds.  I tried Rosemary’s suggestion and I found it both lowers the volume of speech and of the kinds of sounds being asked about so it appears that will solve the problem.  You may want to remember the current number of the NVDA sounds settings so you can set it to the same volume again if you wish.

Pretty straightforward question, can it be done? I'm listening to some

fairly faint videos so I have to crank my volume up. I lower the volume

of my synth with the ring, but NVDA's sounds, e.g. going in and out of

focus mode, are still pretty loud in comparison to everything else. I

suppose I could just turn that sound off if it comes down to it, but I

figured I'd find out if I'm missing something obvious first.

John Isige

Weird! I'll have to go and try that because I'd think lowering the
volume with the synth ring would do the exact same thing. Maybe they are
lowered, but if so they're still significantly louder than speech. It's
also good to know that with the sound off focus changes will be
announced verbally, since I've never messed with that. Thanks all!

Oh yeah, I'm watching a video music lesson. Here it is on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mz1I4Nc9iV0

I'm doing it from their website because I just started paying for all
the lessons, but the volume's all the way up. He's just kind of quiet.
Other lessons are louder so they're fine. So I can lower speech
currently and turn him up and get a good volume, but you have to go into
focus mode to start the video playing, and those sounds are louder than
everything else. Now I have a couple ways of fixing it, and I'll bet one
of them will work.

On 4/21/2020 13:24, Gene wrote:
I don’t know if system sounds would have any bearing on the volume of
these sounds, though I doubt it.  These aren’t system sounds, they are
NVDA sounds.  I tried Rosemary’s suggestion and I found it both lowers
the volume of speech and of the kinds of sounds being asked about so
it appears that will solve the problem.  You may want to remember the
current number of the NVDA sounds settings so you can set it to the
same volume again if you wish.

Pretty straightforward question, can it be done? I'm listening to some

fairly faint videos so I have to crank my volume up. I lower the volume

of my synth with the ring, but NVDA's sounds, e.g. going in and out of

focus mode, are still pretty loud in comparison to everything else. I

suppose I could just turn that sound off if it comes down to it, but I

figured I'd find out if I'm missing something obvious first.

Kevin Cussick

that is not the sounds that is the voice.

On 21/04/2020 17:49, Rosemarie Chavarria wrote:
Hi, John,
Go to the voice menu with NVDA insert V. You’ll be in the voices menu. Tab until you hear volume. If it’s at 100 percent, use the left arrow to lower it.
Hope this helps.
Rosemarie
Pretty straightforward question, can it be done? I'm listening to some
fairly faint videos so I have to crank my volume up. I lower the volume
of my synth with the ring, but NVDA's sounds, e.g. going in and out of
focus mode, are still pretty loud in comparison to everything else. I
suppose I could just turn that sound off if it comes down to it, but I
figured I'd find out if I'm missing something obvious first.

Rosemarie Chavarria

                I thought he meant NVDA itself. My mistake.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

that is not the sounds that is the voice.

On 21/04/2020 17:49, Rosemarie Chavarria wrote:

> Hi, John,

> Go to the voice menu with NVDA insert V. You’ll be in the voices menu.

> Tab until you hear volume. If it’s at 100 percent, use the left arrow to

> lower it.

> Hope this helps.

> Rosemarie

> Windows 10

No problem keep smiling.

                I thought he meant NVDA itself. My mistake.
that is not the sounds that is the voice.
On 21/04/2020 17:49, Rosemarie Chavarria wrote:

> Hi, John,

> Go to the voice menu with NVDA insert V. You’ll be in the voices menu.

> Tab until you hear volume. If it’s at 100 percent, use the left arrow to

> lower it.

> Hope this helps.

> Rosemarie

> Windows 10

Tony Malykh

Yes, I wrote an add-on for that - it's called Tony's enhancements. Once you install it you can adjust NVDA volume by pressing NVDA+Control+PageUp/PageDown.

--Tony

On 4/21/2020 9:42 AM, John Isige wrote:
Hi all.

Pretty straightforward question, can it be done? I'm listening to some fairly faint videos so I have to crank my volume up. I lower the volume of my synth with the ring, but NVDA's sounds, e.g. going in and out of focus mode, are still pretty loud in comparison to everything else. I suppose I could just turn that sound off if it comes down to it, but I figured I'd find out if I'm missing something obvious first.

It's perfectly OK to give links to Add-Ons, even if you are the author.  In this case I'll save Tony the additional effort.  From the "official" add-ons page:

Tony's enhancements

I don’t know why, but using the ring only lowers speech and has no effect on NVDA sounds.  I expected the ring and the dialog setting to do the same thing, but the settings aren’t identical in what they do.

On 4/21/2020 13:24, Gene wrote:
> I don’t know if system sounds would have any bearing on the volume of
> these sounds, though I doubt it.  These aren’t system sounds, they are
> NVDA sounds.  I tried Rosemary’s suggestion and I found it both lowers
> the volume of speech and of the kinds of sounds being asked about so
> it appears that will solve the problem.  You may want to remember the
> current number of the NVDA sounds settings so you can set it to the
> same volume again if you wish.
> Gene

At least on my desktop, your addon mentions volume changes, e.g. "NVDA
volume 60", but my synthesizer volume doesn't change. That's using the
SAPI5 version of Eloquence, in case that matters. it seems to apply to
all of the SAPI5 voices, but it does change with others, e.g.
Microsoft's OneCore. I haven't checked the sounds yet, but I assume if
it changes the voice volume, it will affect those as well. I installed
the stable version.

On 4/21/2020 16:29, Tony Malykh wrote:
Yes, I wrote an add-on for that - it's called Tony's enhancements.
Once you install it you can adjust NVDA volume by pressing
NVDA+Control+PageUp/PageDown.

--Tony

On 4/21/2020 9:42 AM, John Isige wrote:
Hi all.

Pretty straightforward question, can it be done? I'm listening to
some fairly faint videos so I have to crank my volume up. I lower the
volume of my synth with the ring, but NVDA's sounds, e.g. going in
and out of focus mode, are still pretty loud in comparison to
everything else. I suppose I could just turn that sound off if it
comes down to it, but I figured I'd find out if I'm missing something
obvious first.

Tony Malykh

That would probably imply that sapi5 eloquence is using some other way of playing generated sounds, other than NVDA's API in tones.py. In this case it would probably be impossible to set its volume in a centralized way. I tested my add-on on MIcrosoft sapi5 voices, OneCore, espeak and non-sapi version of eloquence, and it worked for all of them.

On 4/21/2020 2:50 PM, John Isige wrote:
[...]

Jim Doherty

I hope this question isn’t stupid, but what is the ring people are talking about in this thread?
Jim

On 4/21/2020 13:24, Gene wrote:
> I don’t know if system sounds would have any bearing on the volume of
> these sounds, though I doubt it.  These aren’t system sounds, they are
> NVDA sounds.  I tried Rosemary’s suggestion and I found it both lowers
> the volume of speech and of the kinds of sounds being asked about so
> it appears that will solve the problem.  You may want to remember the
> current number of the NVDA sounds settings so you can set it to the
> same volume again if you wish.
> Gene

Hi Jim

It’s a series of keystrokes enabling you to alter aspects of the current synthesizer settings on the fly.  You hold down NVDA+Control, then left/right arrows give you access to Volume, voice, rate, rate boost and pitch then loops back to volume, hence the “ring” analogy.  Once you have selected one of the above controls, still holding down the NVDA+Control keys, use up/down arrows to adjusct the parameter for that control.

Cheers

Chris

On 4/21/2020 13:24, Gene wrote:
> I don’t know if system sounds would have any bearing on the volume of
> these sounds, though I doubt it.  These aren’t system sounds, they are
> NVDA sounds.  I tried Rosemary’s suggestion and I found it both lowers
> the volume of speech and of the kinds of sounds being asked about so
> it appears that will solve the problem.  You may want to remember the
> current number of the NVDA sounds settings so you can set it to the
> same volume again if you wish.
> Gene

Hi Chris,

Every day is a School/learning day. I didn’t know about that ring, thanks for explaining it to me.
Regards