Topics

Add-On Updater: Is there a way to force it to check for updates?

Joseph,

I believe I've asked you this before, and I apologize for needing to ask again.  I have another machine that I just updated from NVDA 2019.2 to NVDA 2019.3.1.  I also intentionally removed and reinstalled Add-On Updater.  All other extant add-ons are incompatible with 2019.3.1, and I know this.

Add-on Updater did activate yesterday, but before I did the 2019.3.1 update to NVDA.  I am curious to see what it does with all the incompatible add-ons, but when I invoke NVDA today it is not coming up to check them.  I know there is some mechanism that keeps it from checking again for a certain period of time since we've discussed this before.

I have looked in settings and the settings specific to Add-on Updater, but I'm not seeing a button or other control that would force it to do a check for updates now.  Does such exist, and I'm missing it?  If so, would you please describe where it is and how to invoke it?
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363  

Science has become just another voice in the room; it has lost its platform.  Now, you simply declare your own truth.

~ Dr. Paul A. Offit, in New York Times article, How Anti-Vaccine Sentiment Took Hold in the United States, September 23, 2019

Jesse Farquharson

Brian,
If you open the NVDA menu and navigate to the tools menu, check for addon updates should be at or near the bottom of the list.
Hope this helps.

On Tue, Apr 21, 2020 at 2:11 PM Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:
Joseph,

I believe I've asked you this before, and I apologize for needing to ask again.  I have another machine that I just updated from NVDA 2019.2 to NVDA 2019.3.1.  I also intentionally removed and reinstalled Add-On Updater.  All other extant add-ons are incompatible with 2019.3.1, and I know this.

Add-on Updater did activate yesterday, but before I did the 2019.3.1 update to NVDA.  I am curious to see what it does with all the incompatible add-ons, but when I invoke NVDA today it is not coming up to check them.  I know there is some mechanism that keeps it from checking again for a certain period of time since we've discussed this before.

I have looked in settings and the settings specific to Add-on Updater, but I'm not seeing a button or other control that would force it to do a check for updates now.  Does such exist, and I'm 

missing it?  If so, would you please describe where it is and how to invoke it?
--

Science has become just another voice in the room; it has lost its platform.  Now, you simply declare your own truth.

~ Dr. Paul A. Offit, in New York Times article, How Anti-Vaccine Sentiment Took Hold in the United States, September 23, 2019

Jesse,

Thank you very much, and, yes, it helps a lot.   I feel really, really foolish when I know I've actually checked that menu, but stopped scanning at the Manage Add-Ons item, and activating it.

Having that option in the Tools menu makes perfect sense, but if there is a way to duplicate it via button in the actual Add-Ons Manager settings I think that would be a good idea as well.

But I've given myself a big ol' dope slap on this one!!
--

Hi,

The latter – ability to check for add-on updates from Add-ons Manager – is something I’ve been working on for years and I haven’t forgotten about it… or that request might be enhanced with something big being discussed (can’t comment on users list at the moment).

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Tuesday, April 21, 2020 11:26 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Add-On Updater: Is there a way to force it to check for updates?

Jesse,

Thank you very much, and, yes, it helps a lot.   I feel really, really foolish when I know I've actually checked that menu, but stopped scanning at the Manage Add-Ons item, and activating it.

Having that option in the Tools menu makes perfect sense, but if there is a way to duplicate it via button in the actual Add-Ons Manager settings I think that would be a good idea as well.

But I've given myself a big ol' dope slap on this one!!
--

Kevin Cussick

Hi, nvda tools check for addon updates. if this is not what Your wanting I have miss understood and if so sorry just ignore.

On 21/04/2020 19:11, Brian Vogel wrote:
Joseph,
            I have looked in settings and the settings specific to Add-on Updater, but I'm not seeing a button or other control that would force it to do a check for updates now.  Does such exist, and I'm missing it?  If so, would you please describe where it is and how to invoke it?
--
Brian *-*Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363
*/Science has become just another voice in the room; it has lost its platform.  Now, you simply declare your own truth./*
~ Dr. Paul A. Offit, in /New York Times/ article, /How Anti-Vaccine Sentiment Took Hold in the United States/ <https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/23/health/anti-vaccination-movement-us.html>/,/September 23, 2019

Curtis Delzer

under tools in NVDA, there is no "check for add-on updates."
there is, "manage add-ons," but that is it in this version I am running.

Curtis Delzer
HS
K 6 V F O
Rialto, CA

curtis@...

On 4/21/2020 1:42 PM, Kevin Cussick via groups.io wrote:
Hi,   nvda tools check for addon updates.   if this is not what Your wanting I have miss understood and if so sorry just ignore.
Joseph,

--

*/Science has become just another voice in the room; it has lost its platform.  Now, you simply declare your own truth./*

~ Dr. Paul A. Offit, in /New York Times/ article, /How Anti-Vaccine Sentiment Took Hold in the United States/ <https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/23/health/anti-vaccination-movement-us.html>/,/September 23, 2019

On Fri, Apr 24, 2020 at 06:24 PM, Curtis Delzer wrote:
What version of NVDA are you running?  I have found the "Check for Add-On updates" item at the very bottom of the menu you are already in.  I can either down-arrow to it or hit A twice to land on it once that menu is open via NVDA+N,T

I'm running 2019.3, and have the Add-Ons Updater add-on installed, which I believe is a requirement for this menu item to appear.

--

Kevin Cussick

Hi, it should be there maybe some sort of problem. will leave to others to help as it is getting late over in the UK. but under Nvda tools it should be there.

On 24/04/2020 23:24, Curtis Delzer wrote:
Curtis Delzer
HS
K 6 V F O
Rialto, CA
curtis@...
Hi,   nvda tools check for addon updates.   if this is not what Your wanting I have miss understood and if so sorry just ignore.

Joseph,

--

Sarah k Alawami

If you don't see a check for updates option you might have to reinstall the add on updater add on. Looks like somethingn got corrupted on yoru end as I do have a check for updates option.

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. . For more info go to our website.

to subscribe to the feed click here and you can also follow us on twitter

Our discord is where you will know when we go live on [twitch.](http://twitch.tv/ke7zum] Feel free to give the channel a follow and see what is up there.

For stream archives, products you can buy and more visit my main lbry page and my tffp lbry page YOu will also be able to buy some of my products and eBooks there.

Finally, to become a patron and help support the podcast go here

On 24 Apr 2020, at 15:24, Curtis Delzer wrote:

Curtis Delzer
HS
K 6 V F O
Rialto, CA

curtis@...

Joseph,

--

Roger Stewart

You can also open NVDA menu, then go to Tools, then check for add on updates. This will check for any add ons that need updating even if the automatic check for updates is disabled for some reason.

Roger

On 4/24/2020 6:15 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

If you don't see a check for updates option you might have to reinstall the add on updater add on. Looks like somethingn got corrupted on yoru end as I do have a check for updates option.

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. . For more info go to our website.

to subscribe to the feed click here and you can also follow us on twitter

Our discord is where you will know when we go live on [twitch.](http://twitch.tv/ke7zum] Feel free to give the channel a follow and see what is up there.

For stream archives, products you can buy and more visit my main lbry page and my tffp lbry page YOu will also be able to buy some of my products and eBooks there.

Finally, to become a patron and help support the podcast go here

Curtis Delzer
HS
K 6 V F O
Rialto, CA

curtis@...

Joseph,

--

Roger Stewart

It should be the last item in the Tools menu.
Roger

On 4/24/2020 5:24 PM, Curtis Delzer wrote:

Curtis Delzer
HS
K 6 V F O
Rialto, CA

curtis@...

Joseph,

--

Curtis Delzer

It is not there in my copy, should be, but I don't have it here no
matter how often I look.

Curtis Delzer
HS
K 6 V F O
Rialto, CA

curtis@...

On 4/24/2020 4:34 PM, Roger Stewart wrote:
Roger

Curtis Delzer
HS
K 6 V F O
Rialto, CA

curtis@...

Joseph,

--

Hi,
This is the author of Add-on Updater add-on speaking...
In order to see "check for add-on updates" item, you MUST install Add-on Updater add-on. NVDA does not have a native functionality to check for add-on updates yet, although there is an ongoing discussion as to how to bring this to life in a future release.
Cheers,
Joseph

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Curtis Delzer
Sent: Friday, April 24, 2020 4:38 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Add-On Updater: Is there a way to force it to check for updates?

It is not there in my copy, should be, but I don't have it here no matter how often I look.

Curtis Delzer
HS
K 6 V F O
Rialto, CA

curtis@...

On 4/24/2020 4:34 PM, Roger Stewart wrote:
Roger

Curtis Delzer
HS
K 6 V F O
Rialto, CA

curtis@...

Hi, nvda tools check for addon updates. if this is not what Your
wanting I have miss understood and if so sorry just ignore.

Joseph,

I believe I've asked you this before, and I apologize
for needing to ask again. I have another machine that I just
updated from NVDA 2019.2 to NVDA 2019.3.1. I also intentionally
removed and reinstalled Add-On Updater. All other extant add-ons
are incompatible with 2019.3.1, and I know this.

Add-on Updater did activate yesterday, but before I did
the 2019.3.1 update to NVDA. I am curious to see what it does with
all the incompatible add-ons, but when I invoke NVDA today it is
not coming up to check them. I know there is some mechanism that
keeps it from checking again for a certain period of time since
we've discussed this before.

I have looked in settings and the settings specific to
Add-on Updater, but I'm not seeing a button or other control that
would force it to do a check for updates now. Does such exist, and
I'm missing it? If so, would you please describe where it is and
how to invoke it?
--

*/Science has become just another voice in the room; it has lost
its platform. Now, you simply declare your own truth./*

~ Dr. Paul A. Offit, in /New York Times/ article, /How Anti-Vaccine
Sentiment Took Hold in the United States/
<https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/23/health/anti-vaccination-movemen
t-us.html>/,/September
23, 2019

Curtis Delzer

"check for add-on updates is just not in my copy ofNVDA, V2019.3.1

Curtis Delzer
HS
K 6 V F O
Rialto, CA

curtis@...

On 4/24/2020 4:32 PM, Roger Stewart wrote:
You can also open NVDA menu, then go to Tools, then check for add on updates. This will check for any add ons that need updating even if the automatic check for updates is disabled for some reason.
Roger
On 4/24/2020 6:15 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. . For more info go to our website. <http://www.tffppodcast.com>

to subscribe to the feed click here <http://feeds.feedburner.com/tffp> and you can also follow us on twitter <http://twitter.com/tffppodcast>

Our discord <http://discord.tffppodcast.com> is where you will know when we go live on [twitch.](http://twitch.tv/ke7zum <http://twitch.tv/ke7zum>] Feel free to give the channel a follow and see what is up there.

For stream archives, products you can buy and more visit my main lbry page <http://lbry.tv/@ke7zum> and my tffp lbry page <http://lbry.tv/@tffppodcast> YOu will also be able to buy some of my products and eBooks there.

Finally, to become a patron and help support the podcast go here <Http://patreon.com/tffppodcast>

there is, "manage add-ons," but that is it in this version I am
running.

Curtis Delzer
HS
K 6 V F O
Rialto, CA

curtis@...

Hi,   nvda tools check for addon updates. if this is not what
Your wanting I have miss understood and if so sorry just ignore.

Joseph,

I believe I've asked you this before, and I
apologize for needing to ask again.  I have another
machine that I just updated from NVDA 2019.2 to NVDA
2019.3.1.  I also intentionally removed and reinstalled
Add-On Updater.  All other extant add-ons are incompatible
with 2019.3.1, and I know this.

Add-on Updater did activate yesterday, but
before I did the 2019.3.1 update to NVDA.  I am curious to
see what it does with all the incompatible add-ons, but
when I invoke NVDA today it is not coming up to check
them.  I know there is some mechanism that keeps it from
checking again for a certain period of time since we've
discussed this before.

I have looked in settings and the settings
specific to Add-on Updater, but I'm not seeing a button or
other control that would force it to do a check for
updates now.  Does such exist, and I'm missing it?  If so,
would you please describe where it is and how to invoke it?
--

*/Science has become just another voice in the room; it
has lost its platform.  Now, you simply declare your own
truth./*

~ Dr. Paul A. Offit, in /New York Times/ article, /How
Anti-Vaccine Sentiment Took Hold in the United States/
<https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/23/health/anti-vaccination-movement-us.html
<https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/23/health/anti-vaccination-movement-us.html>>/,/September
23, 2019

Curtis Delzer

I will look, thank you Sarah.

Curtis Delzer
HS
K 6 V F O
Rialto, CA

curtis@...

On 4/24/2020 4:15 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:
Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. . For more info go to our website. <http://www.tffppodcast.com>
to subscribe to the feed click here <http://feeds.feedburner.com/tffp> and you can also follow us on twitter <http://twitter.com/tffppodcast>
Our discord <http://discord.tffppodcast.com> is where you will know when we go live on [twitch.](http://twitch.tv/ke7zum <http://twitch.tv/ke7zum>] Feel free to give the channel a follow and see what is up there.
For stream archives, products you can buy and more visit my main lbry page <http://lbry.tv/@ke7zum> and my tffp lbry page <http://lbry.tv/@tffppodcast> YOu will also be able to buy some of my products and eBooks there.
Finally, to become a patron and help support the podcast go here <Http://patreon.com/tffppodcast>
Curtis Delzer
HS
K 6 V F O
Rialto, CA
curtis@...
Hi,   nvda tools check for addon updates.   if this is not what
Joseph,
apologize for needing to ask again.  I have another machine
that I just updated from NVDA 2019.2 to NVDA 2019.3.1.  I
also intentionally removed and reinstalled Add-On Updater. All other extant add-ons are incompatible with 2019.3.1, and
I know this.
see what it does with all the incompatible add-ons, but when
I invoke NVDA today it is not coming up to check them.  I
know there is some mechanism that keeps it from checking
again for a certain period of time since we've discussed
this before.
other control that would force it to do a check for updates
now.  Does such exist, and I'm missing it?  If so, would you
please describe where it is and how to invoke it?
--
*/Science has become just another voice in the room; it has
lost its platform.  Now, you simply declare your own truth./*
<https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/23/health/anti-vaccination-movement-us.html>>/,/September
23, 2019

Curtis Delzer

I did not have it installed. Sarah, you called it, I had about everything else, but that one. :)
smudge on me face . . .
and been doing computers since 1990. hmm! well . . . as they say, and I don't dare say in public, I best not assume which . . .

Curtis Delzer
HS
K 6 V F O
Rialto, CA

curtis@...

On 4/24/2020 4:15 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:
Curtis Delzer
HS
K 6 V F O
Rialto, CA
curtis@...
Hi,   nvda tools check for addon updates.   if this is not what
Joseph,
apologize for needing to ask again.  I have another machine
that I just updated from NVDA 2019.2 to NVDA 2019.3.1.  I
also intentionally removed and reinstalled Add-On Updater. All other extant add-ons are incompatible with 2019.3.1, and
I know this.
see what it does with all the incompatible add-ons, but when
I invoke NVDA today it is not coming up to check them.  I
know there is some mechanism that keeps it from checking
again for a certain period of time since we've discussed
this before.
other control that would force it to do a check for updates
now.  Does such exist, and I'm missing it?  If so, would you
please describe where it is and how to invoke it?
--
*/Science has become just another voice in the room; it has
lost its platform.  Now, you simply declare your own truth./*
23, 2019