Topics

are there hot keys for raising and lowering speed of speech?

Curtis Delzer

Hi, and thanks for replying. In 2 other screen readers I have there are hot keys for raising and lowering the speed of speech, without going into menus, etc.
How about NVDA? If so, I just plain missed them.
--
Curtis Delzer
HS

curtis@...

Sarah k Alawami

Use the voice ring, nvda control shift left right and up down arrows, I think. I'm in laptop mode but consult the quick start guide to know the keyboard commands for the voice ring. I don't know if this is what it is called in the manual but hope that helps a bit.

Blessings and happy Wednesday

On 22 Apr 2020, at 15:13, Curtis Delzer wrote:

Hi, and thanks for replying. In 2 other screen readers I have there are hot keys for raising and lowering the speed of speech, without going into menus, etc.
How about NVDA? If so, I just plain missed them.
--
Curtis Delzer
HS
K 6 V F O
Rialto, CA

curtis@...

Hi,

Called synth settings ring, and on desktop layout, Control+NVDA+arrow keys (left/right to move between settings, up/down arrow to change settings).

Cheers,

Joseph

Use the voice ring, nvda control shift left right and up down arrows, I think. I'm in laptop mode but consult the quick start guide to know the keyboard commands for the voice ring. I don't know if this is what it is called in the manual but hope that helps a bit.

Blessings and happy Wednesday

On 22 Apr 2020, at 15:13, Curtis Delzer wrote:

Hi, and thanks for replying. In 2 other screen readers I have there are hot keys for raising and lowering the speed of speech, without going into menus, etc.
How about NVDA? If so, I just plain missed them.
--
Curtis Delzer
HS
K 6 V F O
Rialto, CA

curtis@...

You missed 'em.  And you can bring up the list of same when NVDA is running with NVDA+N,H,Q, which opens up the Commands Quick Reference.

Open that and search for the section entitled,

Synth settings ring

You've got to be on the speech rate setting, but if you are, and don't hop off of it you can use the Increment/Decrement keystrokes to Increase/Decrease the rate.

Sarah k Alawami

Bleh, I need to remember the actual name. Hey, at least I was close, right?

I hope that helps the person as I'm not sure if they wanted the desktop or laptop keys. Sorry about typing, my right hand is suffering a lot of joint pain right now, so looks like i need to take a brake. Hopefully this will not effect my job. Bleh.

Anyway, Take care all and I learned, or relearned somethingn new.

On 22 Apr 2020, at 15:36, Joseph Lee wrote:

[...]

Do ctrl+nvda+left or right arrows. When you get to speech rate, use up and down arrows.

Hi, and thanks for replying. In 2 other screen readers I have there are hot keys for raising and lowering the speed of speech, without going into menus, etc.
How about NVDA? If so, I just plain missed them.
-- Curtis Delzer
HS
K 6 V F O
Rialto, CA

curtis@...

Curtis Delzer

Hi Sarah, as per usual, you are, as they say in some British circles and others, "spot on."
THANK YOU

Curtis Delzer
HS
K 6 V F O
Rialto, CA

curtis@...

On 4/22/2020 3:33 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:
Use the voice ring, nvda control shift left right and up down arrows, I think. I'm in laptop mode but consult the quick start guide to know the keyboard commands for the voice ring. I don't know if this is what it is called in the manual but hope that helps a bit.
Blessings and happy Wednesday
Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. . For more info go to our website. <http://www.tffppodcast.com>
Our discord <http://discord.tffppodcast.com> is where you will know when we go live on [twitch.](http://twitch.tv/ke7zum <http://twitch.tv/ke7zum>] Feel free to give the channel a follow and see what is up there.
For stream archives, products you can buy and more visit my main lbry page <http://lbry.tv/@ke7zum> and my tffp lbry page <http://lbry.tv/@tffppodcast> YOu will also be able to buy some of my products and eBooks there.
Finally, to become a patron and help support the podcast go here <Http://patreon.com/tffppodcast>
On 22 Apr 2020, at 15:13, Curtis Delzer wrote:
Hi, and thanks for replying. In 2 other screen readers I have there
are hot keys for raising and lowering the speed of speech, without
going into menus, etc.
How about NVDA? If so, I just plain missed them.
--
Curtis Delzer
HS
K 6 V F O
Rialto, CA
curtis@... <mailto:curtis@...>

Curtis Delzer

thanks Joseph. BTW, hope you can enjoy the DAISY book I uploaded to NV_Access.

Curtis Delzer
HS
K 6 V F O
Rialto, CA

curtis@...

On 4/22/2020 3:36 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:
[...]

Howard Traxler

Hi folks,
I have a desktop keyboard but find it more convenient to set my NVDA to laptop.

When I try to use the synth settings ring, the NVDA plus shift plus control with left or right do nothing.  And when I do the NVDA plus shift plus control with up or down, I can make it faster but not slower.  It keeps getting faster by fives and gets so fast that I can't understand it.  To get it back to normal, I have to use JAWS or Narrator.  This is a bit disconcerting.

Howard

On 4/25/2020 6:59 PM, Curtis Delzer wrote:
[...]

Akshaya Choudhary

@Howard I experience the same issue while using an external keyboard on my laptop.

Howard Traxler

OK, how do we fix it?  Until then, I guess I'll just live with it.

@Howard, in my case sometimes it works if I use numpad 0 as the NVDA modifier key, instead of the capslock which I normally use.

--
Regards,
Sociohack

Howard Traxler

YES SIR OR MADAM!  That sure does work.  What a wonderous thing

On 4/26/2020 1:20 PM, Akshaya Choudhary wrote:
@Howard, in my case sometimes it works if I use numpad 0 as the NVDA modifier key, instead of the capslock which I normally use.

--
Regards,
Sociohack

Akshaya Choudhary

Hahahah, glad it worked!
And, it's a Sir. Sorry for the confusion, Sir Howard :)
--
Regards,
Sociohack