Topics

Screen reader changes for discord.

Below, you will find screen reader updates Discord has made. I haven't tried this out yet, but first, a few other things.

Screen reader guide for Discord.

The changeling has made a really great screen reader guide for Discord. Donate to them if at all possible.

How to get discord.

The most accessible way is going to the Discord Ninite page. The software on that page is a few versions behind but just let it update upon starting the app, after install.

The screen reader changes.

I copied this from the release notes and applied my own formatting.

  • Added a Reduced Motion accessibility feature. Enable under User Settings > Appearance > Accessibility. This’ll help users who are affected by excess motion and effects. Enabling it reduces the amount and intensity of animations that occur across Discord, making the app a little less...jiggly.

We’ve made several improvements to how Screen Readers interact with Discord. These include:

  1. All the big parts of the main app screen are now region landmarks so you can jump between them more easily.
  2. Things that kind of seemed like lists before are now actually marked as lists (whoops): Channels, Members, DMs, and Messages are more structured now. The whole server list is now a tree view to make it easier to find the server you want to view next.
  3. You can now more easily tell when a server or channel has mentioned you or has unread messages, distinguish between different types of channels and categories, know how many people are in a voice channel, and more.

It really bugs me they add the, and more, part, but this is a really, really, great step in the right direction though. Still no accessibility feedback email though.

Richard Kuzma

Good afternoon,

If you don’t mind, what is discord please?

Thanks

[...]

According to its website, Discord is a free, secure text and voice chat solution for gamers. While its design reflects its stated target market, the service has quickly become a way for groups of people to connect and chat with each other. These groups are joined in virtual areas called servers, and these servers can be host to different categories called channels to help organize the conversation. The advantage here is that unlike a Skype or WhatsApp group where every message in the conversation gets sent to everyone in the group, a user can configure Discord so that they only receive notifications from certain channels, or on certain conversation topics, from a server. It is intended to keep people from feeling like they are in a sensory overload version of hell caused by too many notifications. Users can also live stream to servers, or voice chat in designated channels on servers. Like any service, the first step to using it is to create an account.

Sarah k Alawami

Discord is a chat client that also does voice as well. You can set roles and restrictions so that let's say you see a channel, but bryan does not, or you and bryan see a channel but I an Robert do not etc etc etc. Or if bryan was miss behaving (sorry I'm throwing you under tghe buss a lot) I could restrict him to see none of the server or to see one channel. Look it up by googling "discord."