Using a dual boot system with NVDA

Fresh Start <dan@...>

I’ve never used a dual system boot on the same computer.  But my situation makes this necessary.

Will NVDA let me hear the choice when the computer gets up to that point?  Thanks for any help in advance.

I will be using Windows seven and ten on the same computer.  Reason is two pieces of very much used recording software won’t work in Windows ten.

Out of curiosity, what software do you use that doesn't work in Windows 10?

To answer your question, NVDA will not come up early enough in the boot process for you to see the boot choices. Have you considered virtual machines?

On 4/25/2020 12:34 PM, Fresh Start wrote:

I’ve never used a dual system boot on the same computer.  But my situation makes this necessary.

Will NVDA let me hear the choice when the computer gets up to that point?  Thanks for any help in advance.

I will be using Windows seven and ten on the same computer.  Reason is two pieces of very much used recording software won’t work in Windows ten.

Hi,

No, NVDA will not work at the operating system selection screen.

Cheers,

Joseph

I’ve never used a dual system boot on the same computer.  But my situation makes this necessary.

Will NVDA let me hear the choice when the computer gets up to that point?  Thanks for any help in advance.

I will be using Windows seven and ten on the same computer.  Reason is two pieces of very much used recording software won’t work in Windows ten.

Fresh Start <dan@...>

Never used virtual machines.  I am using Sonar 8.5 and Cake Talk.  After talking to Bill McCann yesterday he said those two programs will no longer with Win10 because the “Windows Classic view” feature is removed.

His comment was, “Well that ws a great run but the program is history.”  Sad since  I put around $5,000.00 in to the programs since late 1990’s.  I am a retired totally blind assistive tech instructor.  I loved Sonar and Cake Talk because they allowed for multi-track recording.  Then when saving, Sonar mixed the tracks together In to one file.  Of course you could make any changes to each track before saving the complete package.  It worked in our recording studio we had at the school and in my recording studio at home.  I do use Sound Forge weekly for church podcasts and podcast for the educational center where I work once a week.  But I don’t know how or if it is even possible to do multi-track recordings with SF.

In Sonar, I could have a track of music playing and a vocalist would be singing.  I’ve added  upt to 16 tracks in Sonar.  Then saving puts all together as explained above.

Sorry for such a long email.

Out of curiosity, what software do you use that doesn't work in Windows 10?

To answer your question, NVDA will not come up early enough in the boot process for you to see the boot choices. Have you considered virtual machines?

On 4/25/2020 12:34 PM, Fresh Start wrote:

I’ve never used a dual system boot on the same computer.  But my situation makes this necessary.

Will NVDA let me hear the choice when the computer gets up to that point?  Thanks for any help in advance.

I will be using Windows seven and ten on the same computer.  Reason is two pieces of very much used recording software won’t work in Windows ten.

Fresh Start <dan@...>

Thank you very much Joe!

On Sat, Apr 25, 2020 at 01:00 PM, Fresh Start wrote:
After talking to Bill McCann yesterday he said those two programs will no longer with Win10 because the “Windows Classic view” feature is removed.
Which I simply do not buy.  I have programs that date from the XP era that will still run under Windows 10 (all of those require compatibility mode).

As I said in private correspondence, I have yet to encounter a single Win7 era program that will not run perfectly well under Windows 10, and I really doubt those two are any exception.  I'd certainly be trying them on a Windows 10 system before accepting this assertion.

Audacity might be an interesting alternative. But first, as Brian pointed out, try using those two programs under Windows 10 (I think what Bill might be referring to is classic theme, which was the recommended mode for screen reader users as late as early 2010’s, but not anymore).

Cheers,

Joseph

Out of curiosity, what software do you use that doesn't work in Windows 10?

To answer your question, NVDA will not come up early enough in the boot process for you to see the boot choices. Have you considered virtual machines?

On 4/25/2020 12:34 PM, Fresh Start wrote:

I’ve never used a dual system boot on the same computer.  But my situation makes this necessary.

Will NVDA let me hear the choice when the computer gets up to that point?  Thanks for any help in advance.

I will be using Windows seven and ten on the same computer.  Reason is two pieces of very much used recording software won’t work in Windows ten.

Fresh Start <dan@...>

I will try them as you suggested.  I usually turn to this list for wise recommendations.  Thanks again.  I will let you know how things go.  It will be about a week.

On Sat, Apr 25, 2020 at 01:00 PM, Fresh Start wrote:

After talking to Bill McCann yesterday he said those two programs will no longer with Win10 because the “Windows Classic view” feature is removed.

Which I simply do not buy.  I have programs that date from the XP era that will still run under Windows 10 (all of those require compatibility mode).

As I said in private correspondence, I have yet to encounter a single Win7 era program that will not run perfectly well under Windows 10, and I really doubt those two are any exception.  I'd certainly be trying them on a Windows 10 system before accepting this assertion.

John Isige

You'd have to learn stuff again, but Reaper with OSARA is pretty much
the successor to Sonar with CakeTalking. There's a helpful mailing list
and everything.

http://reaperaccessibility.com

The group/mailing list is under "useful resources".

Thank you very much Joe!

No, NVDA will not work at the operating system selection screen.

Cheers,

Joseph

I’ve never used a dual system boot on the same computer.  But my
situation makes this necessary.

Will NVDA let me hear the choice when the computer gets up to that
point?  Thanks for any help in advance.

I will be using Windows seven and ten on the same computer. Reason is
two pieces of very much used recording software won’t work in Windows ten.

Fresh Start <dan@...>

Thank you very very much. Do you know the cost?

No, NVDA will not work at the operating system selection screen.

Cheers,

Joseph

I’ve never used a dual system boot on the same computer. But my
situation makes this necessary.

Will NVDA let me hear the choice when the computer gets up to that
point? Thanks for any help in advance.

I will be using Windows seven and ten on the same computer. Reason is
two pieces of very much used recording software won’t work in Windows ten.

Daniel Wolak <danielwolak97@...>

Hi,

The cost for Reaper's license for individuals or small businesses is $60 US, although there is a trial period in which you can evaluate.

The accessibility extension (Osara) is free.

I'd personally suggest joining the RWP list if you have further questions.

Daniel

On 4/26/2020 9:51 AM, Fresh Start wrote:
Thank you very very much. Do you know the cost?

No, NVDA will not work at the operating system selection screen.

Cheers,

Joseph

I’ve never used a dual system boot on the same computer. But my
situation makes this necessary.

Will NVDA let me hear the choice when the computer gets up to that
point? Thanks for any help in advance.

I will be using Windows seven and ten on the same computer. Reason is
two pieces of very much used recording software won’t work in Windows ten.

Angelo Sonnesso

Not for nothing, but what does this have to do with dual booting?

73 N2DYN Angelo

Thank you very very much. Do you know the cost?

No, NVDA will not work at the operating system selection screen.

Cheers,

Joseph

I've never used a dual system boot on the same computer. But my
situation makes this necessary.

Will NVDA let me hear the choice when the computer gets up to that
point? Thanks for any help in advance.

I will be using Windows seven and ten on the same computer. Reason is
two pieces of very much used recording software won't work in Windows ten.

Fresh Start <dan@...>

Thank you Daniel. This will prove quite useful.