Topics

accessing mail headers in Thunderbird

Akshaya Choudhary

Hello guys,
I cannot access the mail headers of the newsletters I receive in thunderbird. In the message, when I tab, it goes to several links inside the message itself and never lands in the header section, where FROM and SUBJECT information is given. In contrast, headers of other normal mails are easily accessible by pressing the TAB key several times. Please help. --
Regards,
Sociohack

Ron Canazzi

Hello:

Try pressing control + end to move to the end of the message.  Then try tabbing.  It still may take 3 or 4 tab presses, but I usually get to the headers that way.

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Akshaya Choudhary

Thank you, Ron. It works with some newsletters. I think it's an issue caused by the newsletters.
--
Regards,
Sociohack

Akshaya Choudhary

I figured it out! Open the message and press Alt+s, you will be placed in the header of the message. From there, you can TAB your way down to the area of your choice.
--
Regards,
Sociohack

Ron Canazzi

That does not work in NVDA.

On 4/26/2020 3:04 PM, Akshaya Choudhary wrote:
I figured it out! Open the message and press Alt+s, you will be placed in the header of the message. From there, you can TAB your way down to the area of your choice.
--
Regards,
Sociohack

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

One has to have the header area of a message displayed in Thunderbird before it can be traversed by NVDA (or period, for that matter).

ALT+V, H, A shows all of the header in a split window above the message body.

ALT+V, H, N shows the normal (abbreviated) header fields that most people are interested in.

You can't get to what is not on display.  It also has nothing to do with NVDA, really.  It's just a truism.

Ron Canazzi

Hi Brian,

I have my normal headers displayed, but for some reason, some e-mails when displaying are difficult to access the headers. Normally you should be able to back tab to the headers, but sometimes, I find I have to press control + end to move to the bottom of the message and then press tab a number of times until I start hearing the headers.  Just why this happens I can't figure out.