locked A caution especially in these times

Gene

There is a new cumulative update for Windows 10 for Microsoft. I've seen contradictory things about how many Windows users are having bad effects from it but especially now, with social contact not desired, I think it’s a good idea to wait to see if a fix is released before applying this update. You wouldn't want to have computer problems perhaps requiring service by someone coming to your house or you going somewhere.

It is cumulative update KB4549951.

If you do a search for this update, you will see articles about it including Kim Komando, Windows Next, and Bleeping Computer.

I might not have sent a message under normal conditions but these aren't normal times.

Gene

Sandra Johnson <SLJohnson25@...>

Hello Gene:

Does this mean we should turn off automatic updates and do them manually from the website?

Thanks,

Sandra

SLJohnson25@...

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

There is a new cumulative update for Windows 10 for Microsoft.  I've seen

contradictory things about how many Windows users are having bad effects

from it but especially now, with social contact not desired, I think it’s a

good idea to wait to see if a fix is released before applying this update.

You wouldn't want to have computer problems perhaps requiring service by

someone coming to your house or you going somewhere.

It is cumulative update KB4549951.

If you do a search for this update, you will see articles about it including

Kim Komando, Windows Next, and Bleeping Computer.

I might not have sent a message under normal conditions but these aren't

normal times.

Gene

Sarah k Alawami

Thanks. But. I personally do not trust kim komando. The rest of the sources I might trust, with a grain of sault. I am, I believe, running that update with no issues knock on wood.

On 26 Apr 2020, at 11:25, Gene wrote:

There is a new cumulative update for Windows 10 for Microsoft. I've seen contradictory things about how many Windows users are having bad effects from it but especially now, with social contact not desired, I think it’s a good idea to wait to see if a fix is released before applying this update. You wouldn't want to have computer problems perhaps requiring service by someone coming to your house or you going somewhere.

It is cumulative update KB4549951.

If you do a search for this update, you will see articles about it including Kim Komando, Windows Next, and Bleeping Computer.

I might not have sent a message under normal conditions but these aren't normal times.

There is a newer update, but don't count on that fixing reported problems yet as that one is an optional update. Not all users are experiencing these, and these are configuration dependent.
Cheers,
Joseph

There is a new cumulative update for Windows 10 for Microsoft. I've seen contradictory things about how many Windows users are having bad effects from it but especially now, with social contact not desired, I think it’s a good idea to wait to see if a fix is released before applying this update.
You wouldn't want to have computer problems perhaps requiring service by someone coming to your house or you going somewhere.

It is cumulative update KB4549951.

If you do a search for this update, you will see articles about it including Kim Komando, Windows Next, and Bleeping Computer.

I might not have sent a message under normal conditions but these aren't normal times.

No, please don’t turn off automatic updates for Windows unless you are sure what you are doing. Again these issues affect a small number of users and it is configuration dependent.

Cheers,

Joseph

On Sun, Apr 26, 2020 at 02:47 PM, Sandra Johnson wrote:
Does this mean we should turn off automatic updates and do them manually from the website?
No.  Period.

I don't know how many times it is going to take to convince people that there will, always, be outlier systems that crash and burn subsequent to any given update.  It simply happens.

The reports I've read (and I am with Sarah on Kim Komando, she and the tech writer for Forbes are both well-known overreactors to anything Microsoft-related) all indicate, as Joseph Lee has mentioned, that the issues are on a tiny subset of computers.

The dangers of blocking updates so hugely outweigh allowing them to be applied that this should never be considered.  Also, any computer owner who is not taking routine full system image backups, and this has been true for decades now, is playing Russian roulette.  You need to be backing up in case anything causes your system to crash.

I don't use Windows 10 and I can't discuss what the procedures are with sufficient knowledge. I should add that I sent my message to alert people but it may be that further discussion should be in the chat group. There will be people there who can discuss such questions.

SLJohnson25@comcast.net

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

There is a new cumulative update for Windows 10 for Microsoft. I've seen

contradictory things about how many Windows users are having bad effects

from it but especially now, with social contact not desired, I think it’s a

good idea to wait to see if a fix is released before applying this update.

You wouldn't want to have computer problems perhaps requiring service by

someone coming to your house or you going somewhere.

It is cumulative update KB4549951.

If you do a search for this update, you will see articles about it including

Kim Komando, Windows Next, and Bleeping Computer.

I might not have sent a message under normal conditions but these aren't

normal times.

Gene

Rob Hudson

Perhaps a document should be composed walking newbies through the steps of taking an image backup and restoring it. I personally use active@ diskimage lite to do this. Because you can take a snapshot while the system is running and then restore it from the windows PE. This is the procedure I've been doing for a long time. But I'd be interested to find out how many average computer users know how to do such a thing, or even know it's possible, let alone possible to restore such an image backup with speech. Such a tutorial would greatly benefit the community, I think.

On Sun, Apr 26, 2020 at 03:06 PM, Gene wrote:
I should add that I sent my message to alert people but it may be that further discussion should be in the chat group. There will be people there who can discuss such questions.
And I would suggest that anyone with questions regarding any aspect of Windows 10 join the Windows 10 for Screen Reader Users group.  It is a far better source, and more active source, of Windows 10 information than our Chat Subgroup ever will be.

But, since this was clearly meant as a user advisory, which I allowed, but has now spun into an ongoing and off-topic discussion, this topic is locked.