From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of erik
burggraaf
Sent: Saturday, December 02, 2017 2:56 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Table nav with the control, alt, and arrows is gone

Hi all, What did I do? I was looking at a table intensive website when
suddenly pressing control alt and the arrows stopped working. I restarted
and went to another site, and still no joy.

I must have hit a toggle that turned the feature off, but I've been touring
through the preferences and can't find it. Of course, I have my
preferences set to save automatically, on exit, so restarting really
semented the change now that I stop and think about it.

Any help appreciated.

Erik

Gene

You can't turn it off.  You can turn off announcements of tables, but not the commands.  I'm not sure what the problem is.  You could try making NVDA run using factory defaults to see what happens.  In the desktop layout, it's control insert, use either insert r, repeating the command three times quickly.  What happens?  You can then restore to your settings with control insert r once.  That will tell us if it is an NVDA settings problem or something else.

Sent: Saturday, December 02, 2017 2:56 PM

Hi all,  What did I do?  I was looking at a table intensive website when
suddenly pressing control alt and the arrows stopped working.  I restarted
and went to another site, and still no joy.

I must have hit a toggle that turned the feature off, but I've been touring
through the preferences and can't find it.  Of course, I have my
preferences set to save automatically, on exit, so restarting really
semented the change now that I stop and think about it.

Any help appreciated.

Erik

Gene

You won't lose anything if you use the commands I explained in another message.

Gene

Have you tried restoring the factory defaults? Of course, you'd lose all
your previous configurations but, it could get you back to what you want.
Perhaps there's a way to save your current configuration for later
restoration.

Hi all,  What did I do?  I was looking at a table intensive website when
suddenly pressing control alt and the arrows stopped working.  I restarted
and went to another site, and still no joy.

I must have hit a toggle that turned the feature off, but I've been touring
through the preferences and can't find it.  Of course, I have my
preferences set to save automatically, on exit, so restarting really
semented the change now that I stop and think about it.

Any help appreciated.

Erik

erik burggraaf <erik@...>

Thanks all table nav is back this morning, I woke up and tried it, and it works. No explanation whatsoever.

This computer I am working on is a very low-end system. I got it to use as a Cloud Server, and for that, it works just fine. Unfortunately, strange things happen when I try to repurpose it for other things. I think there's just not enough under the hood for even the most basic multitasking.

Best,

Erik

On December 2, 2017 5:37:53 PM "Gene" <gsasner@...> wrote:

You won't lose anything if you use the commands I explained in another message.

Gene

Hi all,  What did I do?  I was looking at a table intensive website when
suddenly pressing control alt and the arrows stopped working.  I restarted
and went to another site, and still no joy.

I must have hit a toggle that turned the feature off, but I've been touring
through the preferences and can't find it.  Of course, I have my
preferences set to save automatically, on exit, so restarting really
semented the change now that I stop and think about it.

Any help appreciated.

Erik

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

But funny things do happen to all of us. I suspect some of the more obscure issues can never be solved as the interactions are just too complicated

One that I know many have had that even go back to XP days is the sudden disappearance of some menus being spoken.
It normally starts with context menus and the nvda type menus for example. The only cure seems to be a complete windows reboot.
I have my suspicions that some pieces of software at some point leak away from their allotted bit of memory and corrupt something vital. I'm pretty certain that the old 32 bit Goldwave can do this under some conditions, but its by no means the only culprit, Liive mail is another. Its very odd that when such oddities occur, you have either run or are running one of those suspected bits of software. There are others, but I'm sure we all have some suspects.

This is just an example of course and under normal use things tend to work, but Murphy's law applies to computers as much as it does to most other things in my experience.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-