Topics

Windows OneCore voices

Chris Mullins

Hi

I was a bit puzzled after reading that OneCore voices would have the rate boost feature added in the forthcoming new release of NVDA.  I’m using OneCore with 2019.1 and it already has rate boost.  Whilst checking out the different OneCore voices in the synth ring, I noticed that Mark, and Zira voices seem to work OKK but Hazel, Susan, David and George all had the same deep male voice.  This was the same in the Voice dialog after NVDA+Control+v was pressed.  Is this a known problem?

Cheers

Chris

Quentin Christensen

Do you mean you're using NVDA 2019.2.1?  We introduced Rate Boost in NVDA 2019.2 for Windows OneCore - it's been in since NVDA 2011.2.

We haven't done anything new with it since 2019.2.

In any case, I'm glad you're appreciating it!

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Andre Fisher

Hi.

The list sent a news item regarding NVDA 2019.1rc2, which had the feature listed in the What's New section. This was the same day NVDA 2020.1rc1 was released, so it must have been an error.

Quentin Christensen

Yes that's a good point, it was probably that.  I'm not sure what happened there.  Someone assured me that In-Process yesterday made reference to the same version, but when I check today, all the links are to the right page and it hasn't been edited since i put it up yesterday, so maybe we have a gremlin in the machine somewhere :)

Quentin.

On Fri, May 1, 2020 at 2:14 PM Andre Fisher <andrefisher729@...> wrote:
Hi.

The list sent a news item regarding NVDA 2019.1rc2, which had the feature listed in the What's New section. This was the same day NVDA 2020.1rc1 was released, so it must have been an error.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Chris Mullins

                Hi Quintin

This is a confused situation.  My original message was based on the incorrect post re the latest NVDA RC.  I followed the link in that post to the “What’s New” details in 2019.2 and read about the OneCore rate boost feature being added, mistakenly thinking I was using 2019.1.  Immediately After seeing other list members messages about the post, I re-sent the message after correcting my mistake but you are responding to my original incorrect post.

The OneCore Rate Boost reference no longer applies but the issue regarding the OneCore voices for Hazel, Susan, David and George all being the same deep male voice remains and I wondered if it was an issue that was known about.

Apologies for the confusion

Chris

[...]

Further to the OneCore voice issue, I have checked in Narrator and established that the deep male voice is David and the 3 other named voices, Hazel, Susan and George are all British  English voices.  The settings for auto language and dialect switching are both checked.  It appears that NVDA will use US English voices but not the British ones.  Is there a setting somewhere that I have missed?

Cheers

Chris

[...]

Sarah k Alawami

No there is not. If microsoft did not make those voices sapi 5 usable, you cannot use them. This is what someone told me somewhere.

Take care

On 1 May 2020, at 4:13, Chris Mullins wrote:

[...]

Hi Sarah

This is extremely odd.  Narrator uses the british voices without a problem and if using the NVDA Voices dialog, I set the Voice to Microsoft Mark and check the “Automatic dialect switching (when supported)” box the user entered text in this email is red using the George British English voice and the message headers are read using the Mark US English voice.  So it appears that the British English voice can be used by NVDA but cannot be set as the primary speaking voice.  If there is a reason why the British English voices cannot be used,

  1. Why do they appear as choices in the list of available voices?
  2. why do they all speak using the David US English voice when selected in the list rather than gracefully display an error condition?

Cheers

Chris

[...]

Deenadayalan Moodley

Hi Chris,

I just test it here with Hazel and it works as a primary voice.  I even shutdown NVDA and launched it once more and it came up with Hazel.

I also tried with the Indian Ravi voice and it worked.

Thanks.