Topics

Reading commands that work (for Bryan)

Gene

I may have sent a blank message to the list.  Here is what I intended to say.

Regarding the list of commands, there are a great many.  When you are using the commands list, it is very important and useful to know that you can move from section to section with the move by header command, the letter h.  so, for example, if you want to see the browse mode commands, moving through the headers will take you to the browse mode section.  The same for other sections.  Knowing this should help you find commands much more quickly since you won't know in most cases, exactly what wording to search for to find a specific command.

Gene

Grant,

             I will let someone else jump in if there's some clever way to read only what's currently displayed on the screen (or would be if screen curtain weren't turned on) because I have no idea.

             You find a specific command in the quick guide via searching, whether that's browser find or NVDA find.  And browser find is invoked just as it is in Notepad, CTRL+F, and NVDA find (where applicable, you have to be in browse mode) is NVDA+CTRL+F.   After you've done a regular search, F3 can be used to find the next occurrence and NVDA+F3 for an NVDA find.  Stick a SHIFT+ in those if you want previous instead of next.  The fact of the matter is, no matter what software it is you're making the change to use, at some point it's worth the tedium of doing a quick run through the entire Quick Keyboard Commands documentation, once, for two reasons:

1.  To pick up on the terminology used by the product.   That's how you know what to search on at a later point in time.
2.  To have heard, once, all of what's available.  Although you may not remember the details "at the front of your mind" it's amazing how often you have the, "I believe {thing X} was talked about," sensation and are then able to find it after a couple of tries with what you think is the keyword/are the keywords you need.

             NVDA is compatible with all the major supported browsers, so if you don't like Chrome, you can try Firefox, new Edge, Brave (which I recommend, if you like Chrome, just due to its ad-blocking and security features), or any one of a number of others.

Grant Metcalf

Earlier this month you sent me a couple of commands and a suggestion that I use the NVDA+n h q commands to access keyboard commands. I figured out that I needed to turn off the numlock to get somethings to work. However, What is the appropriate command to read only the current screen? And, how does one find a specific command in the quick guide? I am basicly a Notepad and text file user. Unfortunately, I am having to learn how to use Google Chrome!  Also, I will probably have to move from my preferred win7 PC to my win10 PC as well. At the moment Grandpa DOS is not the happiest camper. SMILE?
Thanks for your help!
Listening for His shout!
Grant Metcalf – a.k.a. Grandpa DOS
Email: the.gems@...