Question about Excel

I have been asked to prepare an Excel document which will contain several worksheets within the one workbook.

I have tried and tried and tried, and cannot find a way to do the following tasks, and hope someone can give me the steps.

1. How do I create a new worksheet within a workbook?

2. I know about ctrl+tabbing to move between worksheets, but how do I focus myself on the worksheet tabs, so I can right click one of them and select the rename option?

Yes, I've looked in the ribbon, but don't see anything which appears obvious for either of these questions.

Chris.

Rick

Hello Chris:

To insert a new worksheet, press Shift+F11. You can also press Alt+H, I, S.

To rename a sheet, press Alt+H, O, R.

Hope this helps.

Rick

I have been asked to prepare an Excel document which will contain several worksheets within the one workbook.

I have tried and tried and tried, and cannot find a way to do the following tasks, and hope someone can give me the steps.

1. How do I create a new worksheet within a workbook?

2. I know about ctrl+tabbing to move between worksheets, but how do I focus myself on the worksheet tabs, so I can right click one of them and select the rename option?

Yes, I've looked in the ribbon, but don't see anything which appears obvious for either of these questions.

Chris.

Alt H is the home tab, however, where does O take me? I like knowing the hierarchy of where in the ribbon I am going. This way I better understand the workflow.

nonetheless, thank you profusely for your help!

Chris.

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 4, 2017, at 06:32, softwarethatworks@... wrote:

[...]

Yes, Alt+H is the home tab. There is a cells group on the home tab, under which there are three menus. Alt+H, I takes you to the insert menu, which allows inserting cells, row, columns, worksheets, etc. To explore the possibilities, just press Alt+H, I and use the up and down arrows to explore. Alt+H, D is the delete menu in the cells group. This allows deleting things. Again, use the up and down arrows to explore. Finally, there is the format menu, Alt+H, o, which allows you to format cell height and width, rename workbooks, etc.

Rick

I have been asked to prepare an Excel document which will contain several worksheets within the one workbook.

I have tried and tried and tried, and cannot find a way to do the following tasks, and hope someone can give me the steps.

1. How do I create a new worksheet within a workbook?

2. I know about ctrl+tabbing to move between worksheets, but how do I focus myself on the worksheet tabs, so I can right click one of them and select the rename option?

Yes, I've looked in the ribbon, but don't see anything which appears obvious for either of these questions.

Chris.

Adriani Botez

Press alt, then one time tab and then start exploring the menu groups by object navigation. You will see all cathegories of the ribbon start.

Best
Adriani

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Am 04.12.2017 um 12:41 schrieb Christopher-Mark Gilland <clgilland07@...>:

[...]

Gene

You don't have to use object navigation in ribbons.  Ribbons are, in essence, menus that you tab through.  I say in essence because that is an oversimplification but that's the essence of what ribbons are.  they are fully accessible from the keyboard.  If a ribbon has menus in it, you will hear things as you tab like button and if you let text read and not tab to the next item before reading is finished, you will hear if the button opens a submenu.  use space bar or enter on the button and a menu will open.  In menus, in a menu program, if you up and down arrow in a menu, if you let items read submenu will be announced if you move to one.  The same thing will happen in a ribbon.  any menu you tab to in a ribbon is announced as a submenu.  Why?  Maybe its because ribbons are, in essence, as I said, menus you tab through.

I have been asked to prepare an Excel document which will contain several worksheets within the one workbook.

I have tried and tried and tried, and cannot find a way to do the following tasks, and hope someone can give me the steps.

1. How do I create a new worksheet within a workbook?

2. I know about ctrl+tabbing to move between worksheets, but how do I focus myself on the worksheet tabs, so I can right click one of them and select the rename option?

Yes, I've looked in the ribbon, but don't see anything which appears obvious for either of these questions.

Chris.

I tried this but am not having a lot of success.
---
Christopher Gilland

I have been asked to prepare an Excel document which will contain several worksheets within the one workbook.

I have tried and tried and tried, and cannot find a way to do the following tasks, and hope someone can give me the steps.

1. How do I create a new worksheet within a workbook?

2. I know about ctrl+tabbing to move between worksheets, but how do I focus myself on the worksheet tabs, so I can right click one of them and select the rename option?

Yes, I've looked in the ribbon, but don't see anything which appears obvious for either of these questions.

Chris.

I was pretty sure it was format, but thank you for clarifying.

For some reason, NVDA wasn't focusing very well in the ribbon. After restarting NVDA about 3 times, it finally started cooperating though, so I'm not sure what its little hissy fit was all about.
---
Christopher Gilland

Sent: Monday, December 04, 2017 6:48 AM

[...]

That‘s right. But by using object nav you can navigate much faster to functions where you usually press 20 times tab. Apart from the productivity aspect it gives you the possibility to easily explore and visualize the menu structure. Ofcourse you can combine object navigation with usual navigation to reach functions even faster.
Don‘t rely only on one navigation mode. There are always shorter ways from a to b.

Best
Adriani

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Am 04.12.2017 um 14:23 schrieb Gene <gsasner@...>:

[...]

Not if you know how to use the control right arrow and control left arrow commands.  They don't move through every item.  they move to each category.  If you are in Windows Live Mail, for example, you can move to the home ribbon with alt h.  then you can use control right arrow to get to a category, such as respond, where you can tab through items in the category and continue tabbing if you wish.  but if a ribbon has seven categories and there are seven or eight items in each category, you can control right arrow to the category that sounds logical to find the item.  If you want to reply to an e-mail, respond is the logical category.  If you land on a category such as respond, either by tabbing until you get there or by control right or left arrow, you will be in the category and on the first item.  You will hear the name of the category, respond, for example, and, if you wait for everything to be read, you will hear that you are on reply.

I have been asked to prepare an Excel document which will contain several worksheets within the one workbook.

I have tried and tried and tried, and cannot find a way to do the following tasks, and hope someone can give me the steps.

1. How do I create a new worksheet within a workbook?

2. I know about ctrl+tabbing to move between worksheets, but how do I focus myself on the worksheet tabs, so I can right click one of them and select the rename option?

Yes, I've looked in the ribbon, but don't see anything which appears obvious for either of these questions.

Chris.

Adriani Botez

Good tipp Gene. Thanks for that. I didn’t know about this command in ribbons.

[...]

You might have not been aware of this, but when in your lower ribbon on a particular tab, you don't need to press your arrows 20 gazillian times as you said. You can move group by group on the lower ribbon with ctrl+left and CTRL+right arrow.
---
Christopher Gilland

I have been asked to prepare an Excel document which will contain several worksheets within the one workbook.

I have tried and tried and tried, and cannot find a way to do the following tasks, and hope someone can give me the steps.

1. How do I create a new worksheet within a workbook?

2. I know about ctrl+tabbing to move between worksheets, but how do I focus myself on the worksheet tabs, so I can right click one of them and select the rename option?

Yes, I've looked in the ribbon, but don't see anything which appears obvious for either of these questions.

Chris.

I can't tell you how many times I've used these commands while in the ribbon. It really does speed up your workflow!
---
Christopher Gilland