Topics

Excess verbosity when tabbing through tables in MS Word

Rick

Hello:

With the latest release candidate (RC1) of NVDA, when I tab through a table in MS Word, it speaks the text in the next table cell followed by the same text saying selected and then speaking the deselected text from the previous cell. Is there a way to disable this behavior? Jaws only speaks the cell content of the new cell selected.

Using One Core voices, latest version of office 365, Windows 10 pro.

Rick

Rick Blair

603 512-1699, cell

603 382-3335, home

Quentin Christensen

Have you restarted the PC since you updated NVDA?  If not, go to the Start menu and restart the PC.  Next, try restarting NVDA with add-ons disabled (NVDA+Q then down arrow to Restart with add-ons disabled and press enter).  If it is still happening, a copy of your log at debug level might be useful:

First of all, your NVDA key is either INSERT or CAPS LOCK, depending on how you have NVDA setup.  So, to set your log level:
1) Press NVDA+control+g to open the general settings
2) Press TAB until the focus is on ""Log level""
3) Press DOWN ARROW to get to ""Debug""
4) Press ENTER to close settings
5) Press NVDA+control+c to save settings.

To restart NVDA with add-ons disabled:
1) Press NVDA+Q
2) Down arrow to ""Restart with add-ons disabled""
3) Press ENTER

Next, recreate the issue - do whatever cuases problems.

To get NVDA's log after that, there are several ways:

If NVDA is still running and useable:
1) Press NVDA+F1 to open the log viewer
2) Press CONTROL+A to select all.
3) Press CONTROL+C to copy.
4) Open your email and start a message to info@..., type a little about what you have done and what has happened in the body of the message, then leave a space and:
5) Press CONTROL+V to paste the copied log.

Instead of using the log viewer, or if NVDA has stopped and you needed to restart it or the computer:
1) Press WINDOWS+R to open Windows' Run dialog
2) Type %temp% and press ENTER (that's the percent sign, the letter t e m p and another percent sign).  Windows Explorer should open to the temporary folder.
3) Press TAB to move to the file list
4) Press N and move down to find up to three files:  nvda.log (the log file for the current or most recent NVDA session), nvda-old.og (the log from the previous session) and nvda-crash.dmp (a crash dump with more information created if NVDA itself crashes).
5) Depending on what email program you use, the steps will be different, but attach as many of those three files to an email to info@... as will be useful, and again in the body of the message describe a bit about what has happened.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Andre Fisher

Hi Quentin,

While I acknowledge that you have done a good job in outlining possible troubleshooting techniques, I noticed that you did not state if this is an issue that you have happened to replicate. While I understand that setups and configurations are different from computer to computer, I find that developers and those involved in making decisions relating to the screen reader often jump to troubleshooting issues before actually testing them out to confirm. This may frustrate the person who is reporting the issue.

I can confirm this has been happening as to me as well, but it started happening with NVDA 2019.3.1. i'm not using Office 365, however, I'm using Microsoft Office 2019.

Quentin Christensen

Hi Andre,

Good question.  Before replying I did test to see if I could replicate, and I neglected to mention that in my reply.  I am using Office 365 version 16.0.12730.20236 with NVDA 2020.1 rc1.  I didn't go back and test earlier versions of NVDA as the OP said they encountered the problem using the RC build.

It would be interesting to hear back from the OP as to which version of Office they are using, and whether they are only encountering this issue in the RC build, or whether they can replicate with 2019.3.1 as well?

(and re the troubleshooting tips, if you could also confirm whether any of those changes make a difference, and if not, a log from you might help with our investigation as well).

Quentin.

On Tue, May 5, 2020 at 11:06 AM Andre Fisher <andrefisher729@...> wrote:
[...]

I did a little troubleshooting on my setup. I have the same version of Office as you do. I have traced the problem as well. It happens if you enable UI Automation for Microsoft Word. With it turned on:

1. Create a table with more than 2 columns.
2. Type "dog" in the first column.
3. Press Tab to move to the next column
3. Type "cat" in the second column.
4. Press Shift+Tab to move to the previous column.

NVDA will say: "Column 1, Dog", as it should, but then it will add the following: "Dog selected, cat unselected". I hope you can understand the issue.

My advice? Turn off UI Automation in Word, or perhaps create a profile NVDA+Control+P, then turn ooff the setting, then bring up the configuration profile dialog when you need to use tables. You can even set a shortcut to the profile in the Input gestures dialog.

That's for now though, as it needs fixing.