Topics

Jitsi and NVDA?

Cordelia Scharpf

Hi,

Similar to Zoom, Jitsi is a tool for telecommunication/teleconferencing.
Does anybody use it with NVDA, and how accessible is it?

Thanks,
Cordelia

Sylvie Duchateau

Hello Cordelia and all,

I use Jitsi regularly.

I cannot say that it is as accessible as zoom but it is usable.

The advantage of Jitsi is that it is open source and that it is installed on many different servers.

In theory, anybody could modify the code to make it more accessible.

In practice, you can use it but it is not so easy as it is for a sighted person.

I tried to install the app but I was not able to use it.

It is better to use it with Chrome, it works also relatively well with Firefox.

I did not test with Edge.

It is really easy to create a meeting room. You can either let the tool generate a meeting url or you type a name in the input field.

When you are logged into your room, you have to allow camera and microphone.

It works well in Chrome.

In Firefox, you hear the message asking you to allow microphone and camera. It tells you the the shortcut to press if you want to accept.

If you missed the shortcut, you just have to press F6 twice and you will find the dialog where you can allow camera and microphone and check "do not ask me again", then press ok.

What is not so accessible, is that you have buttons to mute yourself, disable camera, open settings, open chat, raise your hand, see more functionalities , but NVDA does not inform you if the button is on or off. It just tells you : "enable/disable microphone", "enable/disable camera", "raise hand"...

So you don't know if you microphone is on or off.

In some instances of JItsi, when your microphone is off and you try to speak, you hear a voice message telling you that you have to enable your microphone.

When someone joins or leaves your meeting, yo only hear "alert", but you don't know who joined or who left.

If you want to have your meeting secured, you can add a password.

It is in the menu "more information", which opens a dialog where you can copy the invitation and its URL. You can choose a password, but this dialog disappears after a few seconds and it's difficult to get or change the info.

On the meet.jit.si page, you can record your meeting, that needs to be connected to your dropbox, but I never succeeded in getting the recording.

Screen sharing works well.

If you want to share your audio, you have to select that you want to share your whole screen, then check the box to share your audio.

As a conclusion, you can use it but some functions are not so easy to use because of accessibility issues.

Note that on the beta page, https://beta.meet.jit.si/, someone contributed in adding accessible buttons, so you had an idea if the button was enabled or disabled, but this improvement disappeared.

In my opinion, the worst thing is that you don't know if your microphone is on or off. There are no shortcuts to enable or disable your devices.

I hope this can help, otherwise do not hesitate to ask.

Best

Sylvie

Le 04/05/2020 à 17:51, Cordelia Scharpf a écrit :

Hi,

Similar to Zoom, Jitsi is a tool for telecommunication/teleconferencing.
Does anybody use it with NVDA, and how accessible is it?

Thanks,
Cordelia

Cordelia Scharpf

Hi, Sylvie:

Thanks a lot for your comments and observations. Over here, we are experimenting/going to experiment with both Zoom and Jitsi Meet, and I will spend some time familiarizing myself with both.

Keep safe and stay healthy,
Cordelia