Topics

Toggle Passing Keys in NVDA?

Quentin Christensen

Brian and Sarah,

You are both correct, my mistake, we'll just put that down to my inability to read :)

Ok in that case, as you pointed out, NVDA doesn't have a command for that currently, but if someone would like to create an issue to articulate the use case, it is certainly something which could be considered.

Quentin.

On Tue, May 12, 2020 at 2:07 AM Sarah k Alawami <marrie12@...> wrote:

That's not actually what we are asking. If I need to do something with nvda speach on, and I have to pass keys through to said app, I would want a sticky way of doing this.

On 10 May 2020, at 23:30, Quentin Christensen wrote:

NVDA has a "sleep mode".  Press NVDA+shift+s (or if using laptop keyboard layout press NVDA+shift+z) and NVDA will be silent and will ignore keystrokes while you are in the current program (or until you press the sleep command again).

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Sat, May 9, 2020 at 12:37 PM Tilea <sabelyn@...> wrote:
Hi there! I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to tell NVDA to stop processing commands for a time, similar to the "pass next key through" command. When using an application/ widget that has heavy keyboard accessibility, NVDA's commands really hinder the use of the application, and having to press NVDA+F2 between each and every keystroke would make - say - a game using its own keyboard commands practically unplayable. I thought perhaps the "application sleep mode" was what I needed, but not only does the command listed on the reference do absolutely nothing for me, it apparently stops the speech synthesis as well, which I don't want.

What I'm looking for is a key stroke that tells NVDA to start ignoring/passing keys until that same keystroke is entered again, or something to that effect.

Searching for this has yielded nothing helpful because any way I phrase the question, I simply get linked back to the user guide or commands quick reference, which so far as I've seen, doesn't have any solution. Is there perhaps an addon that would allow this, or have I missed something in NVDA's main feature set?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Sarah k Alawami

[...]

On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 02:30 AM, Quentin Christensen wrote:
NVDA has a "sleep mode".
Quentin,

         The original post mentions sleep mode:   I thought perhaps the "application sleep mode" was what I needed, but not only does the command listed on the reference do absolutely nothing for me, it apparently stops the speech synthesis as well, which I don't want.

          I understand what the original poster is looking for.  He wants NVDA to still be active as far as reporting changes on the screen, but not handling keyboard shortcuts at all.  Essentially he wants a toggle version of the Pass next key through command, such that until that toggle is hit again, all keys continue to be passed through to the underlying program while NVDA can still continue speaking when necessary.  It seems like that would be a feature request, as the capability does not currently exist.

          Sleeping NVDA certainly should allow "perpetual pass-through" but would also deactivate all other functions of NVDA as well.

Quentin Christensen

[...]

Deenadayalan Moodley

Hi,

Is this a web based application?  If it is, you can use “single letter navigation mode”. To turn it on or off, press <shift+insert+spacebar>.

Thanks.