Topics

Power Point presentation access

ely.r@...

Afternoon All,

In the past, I have had  make a good number of Power Point presentations. I could edit them with a screen reader, but I could not have any of them speak the presentation as I used it. I then found a small free app called Power Talk. It would speak each slide as it was presented. It would even read alt tags with descriptions of graphics.

It started as a project on Source forge. I can still find it, but it will not work with Power Point 365. It is not clear if it is the program or Windows 10 that are the culprit. Does anyone on the list know of a similar app?

Thanks for ideas,

Rick

Pranav Lal

Rick,

I am able to read presentations including alternative text tags in Powerpoint with NVDA without problems. No third party program needed.

Pranav

Domingos de Oliveira <domingos20000@...>

Hi,

if you change into the presentation Mode with F5, NVDA reads the whole
slide. You then have to press Return to turn to the next slide.

HTH

--
Domingos de Oliveira
- Online-Redakteur

Karthäuserstraße 13
53129 Bonn
Telefon: 017632245129
Web: www.oliveira-online.net
www.netz-barrierefrei.de
Mail: domingos20000@...
USt-ID: DE273231108

ely.r@...

Thanks for this. I was in touch with the Microsoft Accessibility Team. They sent suggestions along using Narrator. However, even in the overview of that process, it was stated that Narrator would not work in presentation mode.

I will give this a try,
Rick

if you change into the presentation Mode with F5, NVDA reads the whole slide. You then have to press Return to turn to the next slide.

HTH

Rick,

I am able to read presentations including alternative text tags in
Powerpoint with NVDA without problems. No third party program needed.

Pranav

--
Domingos de Oliveira
- Online-Redakteur

Karthäuserstraße 13
53129 Bonn
Telefon: 017632245129
Web: www.oliveira-online.net
www.netz-barrierefrei.de
Mail: domingos20000@...
USt-ID: DE273231108

Quentin Christensen

Which version of Office are you using?  Certainly in recent versions, NVDA should work fine in presentation mode.  One big trick to look out for however, is when creating a slideshow, you can set bullet point "animations" where each bullet point (or other object on a slide) only appears as you press enter / right arrow etc.  This works visually, but NVDA reads the whole slide as soon as it loads.  The best workaround at this stage is ideally to not use animations for now (slide transitions are a separate thing - they control how each slide appears or replaces the last, and they are fine) or to use them consistently, press control as soon as each slide loads, and then as you press enter to load each bullet, press down arrow to have NVDA read you the line.

--
Domingos de Oliveira
- Online-Redakteur

Karthäuserstraße 13
53129 Bonn
Telefon: 017632245129
Web: www.oliveira-online.net
www.netz-barrierefrei.de
Mail: domingos20000@...
USt-ID: DE273231108

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

ely.r@...

Knowing this, I will use your suggestions and see how it works. I have a totally blind friend who is a JAWS user and who will be teaching a course at a local community college and wants to use the previous instructors Power Point presentations. I have not had access to these, so who knows what is on the slides. I’ll see if she will send me a sample. Not sure if she would want to try NVDA, but sounds like the one way she may have that access.

Again, thanks

Rick

--
Domingos de Oliveira
- Online-Redakteur

Karthäuserstraße 13
53129 Bonn
Telefon: 017632245129
Web: www.oliveira-online.net
www.netz-barrierefrei.de
Mail: domingos20000@...
USt-ID: DE273231108

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

ely.r@...

Sorry, I didn’t answer your question. I am running Office 365.

--
Domingos de Oliveira
- Online-Redakteur

Karthäuserstraße 13