Topics

efficient reading of messages in Outlook 2016 with NVDA

Mary Otten

I have both JAWS and NVDA on this machine. I am really liking the simplicity of NVDA, but I do have a question about efficiently reading email. There has been a discussion on another list about how you can configure either Window Eyes or JAWS to automatically read the next message in outlook. The upshot seems to be that if you have outlook configured to automatically open the next or previous message, depending on how your messages are sorted, that once you have a message open and hit control d for delete, the next message will automatically open and the reading of the message text will commence. This sounds like about the most efficient way to get through lots of mail--that and being able to get rid of a whole thread if it doesn't interest you--of course. Can this be done with NVDA? I didn't see an add on that looked like it would do this. Any possibility for that?

Mary

Pranav Lal

Mary,

I used to read e-mail this way when I used to use Window Bridge with Eudora. I no longer use this approach. It is easier to skim message summaries, open the ones I am interested in and then continue. Having said that, configure outlook to move to the next message and try the approach. This is an outlook configuration more than a NVDA configuration. Yes, how much of the e-mail header is read remains to be tested.

Pranav

Mary Otten

Hi Pranav,

Ah yes, good old Window Bridge! One of many screen readers I have bought and then they went away, sigh. But that's another topic.

So when you say you skim summaries, are you meaning that you use the preview pane? Or if not, then what do you do? I used pmmail for so many years on Windows I got totally used to and spoiled by that program, and I haven't found anything I like as well.

Mary

On 12/5/2017 4:34 PM, Pranav Lal wrote:
Mary,

I used to read e-mail this way when I used to use Window Bridge with Eudora. I no longer use this approach. It is easier to skim message summaries, open the ones I am interested in and then continue. Having said that, configure outlook to move to the next message and try the approach. This is an outlook configuration more than a NVDA configuration. Yes, how much of the e-mail header is read remains to be tested.

Pranav

Mary Otten

Hi all,

I just looked at a brief document on the MS website regarding threading of messages in Outlook 2016. It looks complicated. I'm just wondering if there is a way to have conversation view and still get the benefit of efficient message reading. Advantage of conversation view is that if you have a thread that does not interest you, you can get rid of the whole thing at once. But then that would seem to preclude the ability to have a message open, delete it and automatically move to the next message and have it start reading. I guess maybe you can't have it both ways? I'd like to be wrong.

Mary

On 12/5/2017 4:34 PM, Pranav Lal wrote:
Mary,

I used to read e-mail this way when I used to use Window Bridge with Eudora. I no longer use this approach. It is easier to skim message summaries, open the ones I am interested in and then continue. Having said that, configure outlook to move to the next message and try the approach. This is an outlook configuration more than a NVDA configuration. Yes, how much of the e-mail header is read remains to be tested.

Pranav

Pranav Lal

Hi Mary,

I skim the message summaries in Outlook. Suppose I am in my inbox, I read the subject of the message. If I am interested in it, I open the message. If not, I delete the message. An efficient way to handle this is to sort messages by conversations but I have not gotten comfortable with the way Outlook handles this. You get trees of messages in your e-mail folders and you can expand and contract them using the right and left arrow keys respectively.

Pranav