Topics

Emoticon is not readable in the latest master snapshot

Robert Mendoza

I tested the NVDA version master-14687,6aa892b3
it does not read the Emoticon, but when I checked to review the pasted copy it was there. Does anyone experiencing this or to replicate the issue. Thanks.

Robert Mendoza

Hi,
What synthesizer are you using?
Cheers,
Joseph

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Robert Mendoza
Sent: Tuesday, December 5, 2017 5:24 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Emoticon is not readable in the latest master snapshot

I tested the NVDA version master-14687,6aa892b3 it does not read the Emoticon, but when I checked to review the pasted copy it was there. Does anyone experiencing this or to replicate the issue. Thanks.

Robert Mendoza

Robert Mendoza

Hi, Joseph,

I often use just eSpeak ng all the time. Never had or installed either other speech into my device.

Robert Mendoza

On 12/6/2017 9:30 AM, Joseph Lee wrote:
Hi,
Cheers,
Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Robert Mendoza

I tested the NVDA version master-14687,6aa892b3 it does not read the Emoticon, but when I checked to review the pasted copy it was there. Does anyone experiencing this or to replicate the issue. Thanks.

Robert Mendoza

Hi,
There were issues with Espeak NG and emoji announcement where Espeak crashes while speaking certain emojis in some languages. Unfortunately, this means Espeak cannot read emojis anymore, but I'm sure there will be a workaround for it.
Cheers,
Joseph

Sent: Tuesday, December 5, 2017 5:44 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Emoticon is not readable in the latest master snapshot

Hi, Joseph,

I often use just eSpeak ng all the time. Never had or installed either other speech into my device.

Robert Mendoza

On 12/6/2017 9:30 AM, Joseph Lee wrote:
Hi,
Cheers,
Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of
Robert Mendoza

Robert Mendoza

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

The whole problem which I suggested should really have meant rolling back espeak since its got other proglems too, revolved around it crashing espeak when certain characters were encountered. To get the release out the function in Espeak has been disabled as it was the inclusion of the dictionaries that was crashing the speech engine. It also was not identifying these collections of symbols correctly which was also probably why it fell over when only one was seen, come to think of it.
My advice would have been roll back two versions of espeak as the pronunciations are rubbish in uk English in some areas and the version in Speech Player in Espeak is in fact far far better for uk English speakers and there were no crashes either.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Wednesday, December 06, 2017 1:24 AM

it does not read the Emoticon, but when I checked to review the pasted copy it was there. Does anyone experiencing this or to replicate the issue. Thanks.

Robert Mendoza

tina sohl <tinabir@...>

Are you able to write imogees too with NVDA or just read them? How do you write them if you can?

I agree, a lot of the new pronounciations just don't work.

As I said before I would have been happy if we roled all the way back to espeak the last version and never update it at least the english databases.

They were fine as they were ages ago back in 2013 or there abouts.

On 7/12/2017 1:46 a.m., Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
The whole problem which I suggested should really have meant rolling back espeak since its got other proglems too, revolved around it crashing espeak when certain characters were encountered. To get the release out the function in Espeak has been disabled as it was the inclusion of the dictionaries that was crashing the speech engine. It also was not identifying these collections of symbols correctly which was also probably why it fell over when only one was seen, come to think of it.
My advice would have been roll back two versions of espeak as the pronunciations are rubbish in uk English in some areas and the version in Speech Player in Espeak is in fact far far better for uk English speakers and there were no crashes either.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Mendoza" <lowvisiontek@...>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Wednesday, December 06, 2017 1:24 AM

Robert Mendoza