From: Brian Vogel
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Date: 05/19/2020 02:52 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] reading what seems to be a blank email

Betsy,

           I did receive the forwarded copy and have played with it, to the same end result you had.  If this is an organization you deal with frequently, they should be made aware that they are using HTML coding that is both non-standard and not accessible.

           Even if I click in to the text itself, you get nothing with a read all or any motion through the text.  It's as though there's a "cloak of invisibility" placed over it.  This is not in any way characteristic of most HTML formatted messages (which should be as accessible as web pages are).

            It's always good to have several tricks in your back pocket, as Gene has suggested, for dealing with this when you need to.  But, the people that should be dealing with the issue are those generating the message to begin with.  It probably takes more effort to create and inaccessible HTML message than a correctly formatted one.  This is the first I've ever dealt with that has the total "cloak of invisibility" quality.  Very weird.

_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#73908) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic

NVDA on Groups.io

Get NVDA from: http://www.nvaccess.org/
Your continued donations help keep NVDA development going strong. Donate at: http://www.nvaccess.org/donate
Get NVDA add-ons at: http://addons.nvda-project.org/
Other links:
NVDA on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=8601265515

_._,_._,_

[...]

Its safer to read mail as text or as plain HTML so I hope you use one or the other, whichever you prefer.

That's very interesting.  I had thought that e-mail programs automatically read a message as text if no HTML version is included but it appears that may well not be the case.  it sounds as though the message you received is from someone who, isn't sending messages in the standard way.  I've heard of messages that are HTML only, but I haven't heard of messages that are plain text only and that isn't at all the standard way messages are sent.

A lot of messages I get contain both H
TML and text versions.

Sent: Tuesday, May 19, 2020 9:16 AM

I did the steps and it was set to original HTML. I actually had to
change it to text before it could read the body of the email. Thank you
for teaching me something new to try when I come across another email
that will not read properly.

Gene, your help was greatly appreciated.

--
Betsy Grenevitch
678-862-3876

Betsy Grenevitch

On 5/17/2020 7:47 PM, Gene wrote:

[...]

Thank you so very much. I will write down these instructions and try that.

Sent: Sunday, May 17, 2020 11:04 PM

Sent: Sunday, May 17, 2020 11:04 PM

Sent: Sunday, May 17, 2020 6:34 PM

[...]

Ralf Kefferpuetz

NVDA-t, the type of mail is spoken at the end.

Sent: Sunday, May 17, 2020 6:34 PM

[...]

          I'm not an NVDA developer but would be curious to take a look at one of those messages if the content of same is not private.  Feel free to send me one if you'd like me to do so.  The Reply to Sender link at the end of this message will fire up a blank message in your e-mail or webmail.  Just snag the To address and use it for forwarding if you are so inclined.

Betsy Grenevitch