Topics

question re nvaccess site and training materials

Mary Otten

I suppose this is mostly directed at Quenton. My experience with the access site is that I absolutely can't get to the "shop" link using firefox esr version, but with IE11, it is easy. Why might that be? I mean, I can't even find it with the find command when using ff.

also, with regard to the  ebooks for Word and the basic training materials, what format are those in? I didn't see that mentioned on the training materials page.

Thanks.

Mary

hi mary.
just copy this link and peist in the address bar, i think it should
work for you.
https://www.nvaccess.org/shop/
hope that help, God bless you!

On 12/6/17, Mary Otten <maryotten@...> wrote:
I suppose this is mostly directed at Quenton. My experience with the
access site is that I absolutely can't get to the "shop" link using
firefox esr version, but with IE11, it is easy. Why might that be? I
mean, I can't even find it with the find command when using ff.

also, with regard to the  ebooks for Word and the basic training
materials, what format are those in? I didn't see that mentioned on the
training materials page.

Thanks.

Mary

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
www.al-islam.org

Mary Otten

Thanks, Shara. I can access the shop; I was jusst curious what might be happening with firefox to make finding that link not possible. Quite probably operator error, but I was curious. I have not yet upgraded to the most recent release of NVDA.

Mary

On 12/6/2017 7:53 AM, zahra wrote:
hi mary.
just copy this link and peist in the address bar, i think it should
work for you.
https://www.nvaccess.org/shop/
hope that help, God bless you!

On 12/6/17, Mary Otten <maryotten@...> wrote:
I suppose this is mostly directed at Quenton. My experience with the
access site is that I absolutely can't get to the "shop" link using
firefox esr version, but with IE11, it is easy. Why might that be? I
mean, I can't even find it with the find command when using ff.

also, with regard to the  ebooks for Word and the basic training
materials, what format are those in? I didn't see that mentioned on the
training materials page.

Thanks.

Mary

your welcome, its my pleasure.
i opened shop with my favorite version of firefox (version 51) and the
links work for me.
i have the name of material and aftter each item, i have add to cart link.

[...]

Quentin Christensen

Hi Mary,

How are you moving around the site?

If you press down arrow from the top of the page, it will move to the "home" link, and from there directly to the "donate" button (skipping the rest of the navigation bar, which contains the shop link).  If you press TAB, K, or use the elements list dialog, the "shop" link should be after, Home, About, Download, Get Help, Services and Support Us.

That behaviour (for me) is consistent across Firefox (ESR), Chrome, Internet Explorer and Edge.

For your other question, this eBook version of the training module includes the following formats:
.epub: An electronic book format readable in many standalone book readers as well as book reading apps on smartphones and computers.
.html: A web page readable in any web browser
.docx: A Microsoft Word file
.kfx: Used in Amazon Kindle readers and the Kindle app for PC (version 1.19 or later required)

(That information is on the individual page for each module, the main shop page just has a shorter blurb for each item).

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Mary Otten

Hi Quenton,

I am pretty sure I was tabbing. I know that's what I did in ie, and I think that's how I started out in FF, but then also tried down arrow, which didn't work. I will try tab again, however. It seems like you've surely got all the formats covered for the e-books. BTW, any plans for something specific for Outlook? Or do you feel it isn't necessary?

> Hi Mary, > > How are you moving around the site? > > If you press down arrow from the top of the page, it will move to the > "home" link, and from there directly to the "donate" button (skipping > the rest of the navigation bar, which contains the shop link). If > you press TAB, K, or use the elements list dialog, the "shop" link > should be after, Home, About, Download, Get Help, Services and > Support Us. > > That behaviour (for me) is consistent across Firefox (ESR), Chrome, > Internet Explorer and Edge. > > For your other question, this eBook version of the training module > includes the following formats: .epub: An electronic book format > readable in many standalone book readers as well as book reading apps > on smartphones and computers. .html: A web page readable in any web > browser .docx: A Microsoft Word file .kfx: Used in Amazon Kindle > readers and the Kindle app for PC (version 1.19 or later required) > > (That information is on the individual page for each module, the main > shop page just has a shorter blurb for each item). > > Kind regards > > Quentin. > > On Thu, Dec 7, 2017 at 2:34 AM, Mary Otten <maryotten@... > <mailto:maryotten@...>> wrote: > > I suppose this is mostly directed at Quenton. My experience with the > access site is that I absolutely can't get to the "shop" link using > firefox esr version, but with IE11, it is easy. Why might that be? I > mean, I can't even find it with the find command when using ff. > > > also, with regard to the ebooks for Word and the basic training > materials, what format are those in? I didn't see that mentioned on > the training materials page. > > > Thanks. > > > Mary > > > > > > > > -- Quentin Christensen Training and Support Manager > > Official NVDA Training modules and expert certification now > available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/ > > www.nvaccess.org <http://www.nvaccess.org/> Facebook: > http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess
Hi Quenton,

I think I started out in FF by tabbing. I know I also tried the find feature, and I tried arrowing. In ie, tab worked just fine. I will try tab again in FF.

It sounds like you have all the format bases covered for the training materials. Any thought of an Outlook module?

Mary

Gene

Why does it skip?  That sounds like an NVDA problem to be corrected.

Sent: Wednesday, December 06, 2017 6:32 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] question re nvaccess site and training materials

[...]

Mary,

Yes, Outlook is something we were thinking of, just haven't got to it yet :)

Regards

Quentin.

On Thu, Dec 7, 2017 at 11:46 AM, Mary Otten <maryotten@...> wrote:
Hi Quenton,

I am pretty sure I was tabbing. I know that's what I did in ie, and I think that's how I started out in FF, but then also tried down arrow, which didn't work. I will try tab again, however. It seems like you've surely got all the formats covered for the e-books. BTW, any plans for something specific for Outlook? Or do you feel it isn't necessary?

> Hi Mary, > > How are you moving around the site? > > If you press down arrow from the top of the page, it will move to the > "home" link, and from there directly to the "donate" button (skipping > the rest of the navigation bar, which contains the shop link). If > you press TAB, K, or use the elements list dialog, the "shop" link > should be after, Home, About, Download, Get Help, Services and > Support Us. > > That behaviour (for me) is consistent across Firefox (ESR), Chrome, > Internet Explorer and Edge. > > For your other question, this eBook version of the training module > includes the following formats: .epub: An electronic book format > readable in many standalone book readers as well as book reading apps > on smartphones and computers. .html: A web page readable in any web > browser .docx: A Microsoft Word file .kfx: Used in Amazon Kindle > readers and the Kindle app for PC (version 1.19 or later required) > > (That information is on the individual page for each module, the main > shop page just has a shorter blurb for each item). > > Kind regards > > Quentin. > > On Thu, Dec 7, 2017 at 2:34 AM, Mary Otten <maryotten@... > <mailto:maryotten@...>> wrote: > > I suppose this is mostly directed at Quenton. My experience with the > access site is that I absolutely can't get to the "shop" link using > firefox esr version, but with IE11, it is easy. Why might that be? I > mean, I can't even find it with the find command when using ff. > > > also, with regard to the ebooks for Word and the basic training > materials, what format are those in? I didn't see that mentioned on > the training materials page. > > > Thanks. > > > Mary > > > > > > > > -- Quentin Christensen Training and Support Manager > > Official NVDA Training modules and expert certification now > available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/ > > www.nvaccess.org <http://www.nvaccess.org/> Facebook: > http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess
Hi Quenton,

I think I started out in FF by tabbing. I know I also tried the find feature, and I tried arrowing. In ie, tab worked just fine. I will try tab again in FF.

It sounds like you have all the format bases covered for the training materials. Any thought of an Outlook module?

Mary

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Mary Otten

Ok, I was wrong about FireFox and getting to the shop link. Tabbing did get me there. Searching did not, and of course, arrowing doesn't either, which is something I think needs attention, but that, I guess is a different question. Why would arrowing work in IE but not in FF? I'm not sure why it didn't work before; maybe I gave up too soon on it and just went for search, which still isn't working here to find that particular link.

[...]

I don't know why search didn't find it.  I didn't test it with a recent NVDA version so others would have to test it, but with an old version, it was found properly.  Be sure you aren't' putting anything extraneous in the search such as a space.  also use alt home before you do the search to make sure you are at the top of the page.  At times, either because you used the page previously or perhaps for some other reason, you may not be at the top of the page.  to avoid any possibility of this problem, I often do control home before doing a search even if it shouldn't be necessary.

[...]

When you used search, did you use NVDA's search (NVDA+control+f) or Firefox's search (control+f)?  Firefox's search works visually, but doesn't move the focus for NVDA.  I can find the shop link fine with NVDA's search in Firefox.  Re arrowing around, that worked exactly the same in IE as for Firefox, Chrome and Edge - that is, it jumps straight from "Home" to "donate".

On Fri, Dec 8, 2017 at 5:40 AM, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
[...]

I used NVDA search, nvda, control f, and my nvda key in this instance is the number pad insert, but doubt that matters.

Mary