IMPORTANT COMMUNITY DIRECTIVE: to use NVDA 2017.4, Windows 7 SP1 or later is absolutely required

Dear NVDA community,

It was brought to developers’ attention that some people were having issues upgrading to NVDA 2017.4, and turns out some were using Windows 7 RTM build. Thus the following community directive:

In order to use NVDA 2017.4 or later, Windows 7 Service Pack 1 or later is ABSOLUTELY required.

To find out which Windows release you’ve got:

  1. Press Windows key to open Start menu.
  2. Type “winver” without quotes and press Enter.
  3. Check the build shown on About Windows dialog.

If the build number is 7601 or higher, you’re all set. If it is lower than that:

  • If using Windows 7 RTM (build number is 7600), please use NVDA 2017.3, upgrade to Windows 7 SP1 first, then update to NVDA 2017.4.
  • If using versions other than 7 (build number is less than 7600), then NVDA 2017.3 is the last supported version for you.

In the next few weeks, some add-on authors will announce minimum supported versions of NVDA and Windows. For example, if you are using StationPlaylist Studio add-on, starting from version 17.12 stable, Windows 7 SP1 or higher is absolutely required.

Thank you.

Cheers,

Joseph

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Could I ask how people could end up without sp1, as I seem to recall from friends that this update some years back now was pushed automatically to existing systems and its not just nvda which relies on it either.

Also now, how would a user get it and install it, is it relatively simple on the Microsoft site or would you suggest going the whole way and going to 10 before 31st Dec while a free update is there. I'm assuming that the old version of 7 will still allow the update.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

[...]

Gene

You are assuming that people are allowing automatic updates.

Sent: Thursday, December 07, 2017 3:58 AM

briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
> It was brought to developers' attention that some people were having
> issues
> upgrading to NVDA 2017.4, and turns out some were using Windows 7 RTM
> build.
> Thus the following community directive:
>

> In order to use NVDA 2017.4 or later, Windows 7 Service Pack 1 or later is
> ABSOLUTELY required.
>

> To find out which Windows release you've got:
>

> 1. Press Windows key to open Start menu.
> 2. Type "winver" without quotes and press Enter.
> 3. Check the build shown on About Windows dialog.
>

> If the build number is 7601 or higher, you're all set. If it is lower than
> that:
>

> * If using Windows 7 RTM (build number is 7600), please use NVDA
> 2017.3, upgrade to Windows 7 SP1 first, then update to NVDA 2017.4.
> * If using versions other than 7 (build number is less than 7600),
> then NVDA 2017.3 is the last supported version for you.
>

> In the next few weeks, some add-on authors will announce minimum supported
> versions of NVDA and Windows. For example, if you are using
> StationPlaylist
> Studio add-on, starting from version 17.12 stable, Windows 7 SP1 or higher
> is absolutely required.
>

> Thank you.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Joseph

Ron Canazzi

I wonder if those who have such systems have pirate copies of Windows and have turned off auto update.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Joseph Lee" <joseph.lee22590@gmail.com>

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Chris

                Probably because they don’t know how to check for updates or wouldn’t know what to do if there was any, or windows update was broken a long time ago

--

They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.

They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Many people turn off automatic updates who have legitimate copies of Windows.  They want control over what updates they receive.

Sent: Thursday, December 07, 2017 8:33 AM

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

In windows 7 though you have the opportunity to allow them to download and then only install them when yyou want to. In this case I'd always allow service packs as otherwise you are taking a chance on vulnerabilities not being patched.
[...]

Not necessarily, many of the ones that could have been pirates have allowed windows 10 on them, so I think this ias a pink herring. Its more likely they just turned them off then forgot. Also some of those machines tend to be second user hand me downs so they are probably unaware the updates had been turned off. You only tend to open the bonnet when things stop working!

[...]

i am completely against any update, no different if updates are for
softwares or operating system!
i only use anything that i need!

[...]

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
www.al-islam.org

Ron Canazzi

So security issues don't bother you?

>>> briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

>>> in the display name field.

>>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Joseph Lee"

>>> <joseph.lee22590@...>

That's kind a what I also wonder.
---
Christopher Gilland

Sent: Thursday, December 07, 2017 11:54 AM

So security issues don't bother you?

On 12/7/2017 10:59 AM, zahra wrote:
> i am completely against any update, no different if updates are for
> softwares or operating system!
> i only use anything that i need!
>
> On 12/7/17, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io
> <bglists@...> wrote:
>> Not  necessarily, many of the ones that could have been pirates have allowed
>>
>> windows 10 on them, so I think this ias a pink herring. Its more likely they
>>
>> just turned them off then forgot. Also some of those machines tend to be
>> second user hand me downs so they are probably unaware the updates had been
>>
>> turned off. You only tend to open the bonnet when things stop working!
>>
>> Brian
>>
>> bglists@...
>> Sent via blueyonder.
>> Please address personal email to:-
>> briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
>> in the display name field.

Adriani Botez

With respect, This is a wrong perception. Updates nowadays are bringing more security and more functionality. It is more than important to keep everything uptodate. Support will stop after a while for what you are using and it will be harder and harder to adapt to new technologies. If you keep updating regularly, you will be used to learn new functions and it will be very easy to adapt to new things. In 5 years screen readers will be much much different than today. For those who keep staying behind, they will loose the path. Please be aware of that.

Best
Adriani

[...]

best website for studying islamic book in different languages www.al-islam.org

Arlene

Oh? It will be a shock. How screen readers will be different in 5 years!

[...]

There will be new functions, much more productivity, much more user experience and so on. Screen readers will get smarter as well. We have to stay on the path to it, not to battle against it.

Best
Adriani

[...]

Completely agreed. OK, I do have an XP machine still, but it's definitely not my primary system, and I only use it mainly for old legacy stuff that refuses to work on newer technology... like my Alva Satalite display. I'd kill! to get that thing working on my Windows 10 machine, but every hack, and every driver I've tried, it just won't do it.
---
Christopher Gilland

Sent: Thursday, December 07, 2017 4:06 PM

With respect,  This is a wrong perception. Updates nowadays are bringing more security and more functionality. It is more than important to keep everything uptodate. Support will stop after a while for what you are using and it will be harder and harder to adapt to new technologies. If you keep updating regularly, you will be used to learn new functions and it will be very easy to adapt to new things. In 5 years screen readers will be much much different than today. For those who keep staying behind, they will loose the path. Please be aware of that.

Best
Adriani

i am completely against any update, no different if updates are for softwares or operating system!
i only use anything that i need!

On 12/7/17, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io <bglists@...> wrote:
> Not  necessarily, many of the ones that could have been pirates have
> allowed
>
> windows 10 on them, so I think this ias a pink herring. Its more
> likely they
>
> just turned them off then forgot. Also some of those machines tend to
> be second user hand me downs so they are probably unaware the updates
> had been
>
> turned off. You only tend to open the bonnet when things stop working!
>
> Brian
>
> bglists@...
> Sent via blueyonder.
> Please address personal email to:-
> briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
> in the display name field.

I believe that! I'm using win 7.

[...]

You mean your Alva Satalite does not work on win ten?  I have an Alva Not sure what it is. It works on 7.  Not sure if it’s the one you have.  Would be good if it would work on ten. What if the old xp dies?  I know a friend who uses win ten. But has an xp clunker like you. He uses it for what xp can do with audio files like convert old vhs video tapes to mp3.

Sent: Thursday, December 07, 2017 4:06 PM

With respect,  This is a wrong perception. Updates nowadays are bringing more security and more functionality. It is more than important to keep everything uptodate. Support will stop after a while for what you are using and it will be harder and harder to adapt to new technologies. If you keep updating regularly, you will be used to learn new functions and it will be very easy to adapt to new things. In 5 years screen readers will be much much different than today. For those who keep staying behind, they will loose the path. Please be aware of that.

Best
Adriani

i am completely against any update, no different if updates are for softwares or operating system!
i only use anything that i need!

On 12/7/17, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io <bglists@...> wrote:
> Not  necessarily, many of the ones that could have been pirates have
> allowed
>
> windows 10 on them, so I think this ias a pink herring. Its more
> likely they
>
> just turned them off then forgot. Also some of those machines tend to
> be second user hand me downs so they are probably unaware the updates
> had been
>
> turned off. You only tend to open the bonnet when things stop working!
>
> Brian
>
> bglists@...
> Sent via blueyonder.
> Please address personal email to:-
> briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
> in the display name field.

I think mine is the 584 Pro.

The thing is, first off, I bought the thing used, which I'm not gonna complain, being I got the thing for $250. Being these things are normally like, what, 16 grand? OK, some of the cells are a little smashed, but it's still legible. It could be way way worse than it is!

Anyway, about Win7, Really there're two things with NVDA, or for that mind, even JAWS, which stand up as a challenge. First off, I don't think a 64 bit driver ever was created. Secondly, I mention about getting this display used, as the guy who sold it to me didn't have a male to female serial cable, plus, even if he did, my Windows 10 machines don't have serial ports anyway, so whoops, there went that idea.

Secondly, the company who makes the Alva, Optilec I think, isn't around anymore, and, he didn't have a power cord. Fortunately, if you connect the display via USB, then it will bus power itself. God forbid you ever go into its setup menu and disable USB. LOL! I'm not about to be a guinea pig and try it. LOL!

In NVDA, I've tried BRLTTY, but that doesn't work. I think I'd need a serial connection for that to work, and plus, again, I'd need the 64 bit driver.

Anyway, so, yeah...
---
Christopher Gilland

Sent: Thursday, December 07, 2017 4:06 PM

With respect,  This is a wrong perception. Updates nowadays are bringing more security and more functionality. It is more than important to keep everything uptodate. Support will stop after a while for what you are using and it will be harder and harder to adapt to new technologies. If you keep updating regularly, you will be used to learn new functions and it will be very easy to adapt to new things. In 5 years screen readers will be much much different than today. For those who keep staying behind, they will loose the path. Please be aware of that.

Best
Adriani

i am completely against any update, no different if updates are for softwares or operating system!
i only use anything that i need!

On 12/7/17, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io <bglists@...> wrote:
> Not  necessarily, many of the ones that could have been pirates have
> allowed
>
> windows 10 on them, so I think this ias a pink herring. Its more
> likely they
>
> just turned them off then forgot. Also some of those machines tend to
> be second user hand me downs so they are probably unaware the updates
> had been
>
> turned off. You only tend to open the bonnet when things stop working!
>
> Brian
>
> bglists@...
> Sent via blueyonder.
> Please address personal email to:-
> briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
> in the display name field.

no, i dont think and its not important updating anything for me.
i found my goal in my life and i have many many extremely important
things to think about them and put my effort to achieve them!
updating and learning new technology is not important for me and is
not a goal in my life!

On 12/8/17, Christopher-Mark Gilland <clgilland07@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

http://www.gshministry.org
(980) 500-9575