From: Don H
Sent: Wednesday, December 06, 2017 6:25 PM
Subject: [nvda] links on single line

I am running NVDA 2017-4 on a Win 10 64 bit machine.  I have a web site
where there are multiple links on a single line thus NVDA reads them
together.  If my memory is right there is a way to get NVDA to read this
multi link lines as if each link was separate.  Looked everywhere but
can't find it.
Thanks a

Sam Taylor

Hi Don,

Toggle Preserve screen layout, NVDA+V.

Cheers

Sam

On 7/12/2017 10:25 am, Don H wrote:
I am running NVDA 2017-4 on a Win 10 64 bit machine.  I have a web site where there are multiple links on a single line thus NVDA reads them together.  If my memory is right there is a way to get NVDA to read this multi link lines as if each link was separate.  Looked everywhere but can't find it.
Thanks a

Mary Otten

This brings up the question of why preserving screen layout is a good idea. I mean, maybe that has to do with working with sighted colleagues? But if that's the only reason, then I'm definitely turning it off as of little to no use.

Mary

On 12/6/2017 4:43 PM, Gene wrote:
Just one more example of why having links read each link on a separate line should be the default, as I said two or three days ago.  The feature is in browse mode settings.  It's a check box that says use screen layout, if supported.  Uncheck this box and activate the ok button.

I am running NVDA 2017-4 on a Win 10 64 bit machine.  I have a web site
where there are multiple links on a single line thus NVDA reads them
together.  If my memory is right there is a way to get NVDA to read this
multi link lines as if each link was separate.  Looked everywhere but
can't find it.
Thanks a

Andy

i agree! It's a case of someone other than the user trying to cram something down our throats because we should do things like a sighted person does.

Andy

Just one more example of why having links read each link on a separate line should be the default, as I said two or three days ago.  The feature is in browse mode settings.  It's a check box that says use screen layout, if supported.  Uncheck this box and activate the ok button.

I am running NVDA 2017-4 on a Win 10 64 bit machine.  I have a web site
where there are multiple links on a single line thus NVDA reads them
together.  If my memory is right there is a way to get NVDA to read this
multi link lines as if each link was separate.  Looked everywhere but
can't find it.
Thanks a

Gene

I haven't worked with online discussion forums enough to say much but I've seen some comments that forums are easier to work with.  But in general, it's better to have links read on their own line.

On 12/6/2017 4:43 PM, Gene wrote:
Just one more example of why having links read each link on a separate line should be the default, as I said two or three days ago.  The feature is in browse mode settings.  It's a check box that says use screen layout, if supported.  Uncheck this box and activate the ok button.

I am running NVDA 2017-4 on a Win 10 64 bit machine.  I have a web site
where there are multiple links on a single line thus NVDA reads them
together.  If my memory is right there is a way to get NVDA to read this
multi link lines as if each link was separate.  Looked everywhere but
can't find it.
Thanks a

Gene

I don't know why having multiple links read on a line if that is how they are presented on screen is the default.  But having links read on their own line should be the default because that is the one that would generally be used and because new NVDA users and inexperienced Windows users won't even know there is such a setting so it should be set in the way it would generally be used.

i agree! It's a case of someone other than the user trying to cram something down our throats because we should do things like a sighted person does.

Andy

Just one more example of why having links read each link on a separate line should be the default, as I said two or three days ago.  The feature is in browse mode settings.  It's a check box that says use screen layout, if supported.  Uncheck this box and activate the ok button.

I am running NVDA 2017-4 on a Win 10 64 bit machine.  I have a web site
where there are multiple links on a single line thus NVDA reads them
together.  If my memory is right there is a way to get NVDA to read this
multi link lines as if each link was separate.  Looked everywhere but
can't find it.
Thanks a

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Use screen layout. Is this not what you turn off?
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-