links on single line

Don H

I am running NVDA 2017-4 on a Win 10 64 bit machine. I have a web site where there are multiple links on a single line thus NVDA reads them together. If my memory is right there is a way to get NVDA to read this multi link lines as if each link was separate. Looked everywhere but can't find it.
Thanks a

Gene

Just one more example of why having links read each link on a separate line should be the default, as I said two or three days ago.  The feature is in browse mode settings.  It's a check box that says use screen layout, if supported.  Uncheck this box and activate the ok button.

Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, December 06, 2017 6:25 PM
Subject: [nvda] links on single line

I am running NVDA 2017-4 on a Win 10 64 bit machine.  I have a web site
where there are multiple links on a single line thus NVDA reads them
together.  If my memory is right there is a way to get NVDA to read this
multi link lines as if each link was separate.  Looked everywhere but
can't find it.
Thanks a

Sam Taylor

Hi Don,

Toggle Preserve screen layout, NVDA+V.

Cheers

Sam       

On 7/12/2017 10:25 am, Don H wrote:
I am running NVDA 2017-4 on a Win 10 64 bit machine.  I have a web site where there are multiple links on a single line thus NVDA reads them together.  If my memory is right there is a way to get NVDA to read this multi link lines as if each link was separate.  Looked everywhere but can't find it.
Thanks a

Mary Otten

This brings up the question of why preserving screen layout is a good idea. I mean, maybe that has to do with working with sighted colleagues? But if that's the only reason, then I'm definitely turning it off as of little to no use.

Mary

On 12/6/2017 4:43 PM, Gene wrote:
Just one more example of why having links read each link on a separate line should be the default, as I said two or three days ago.  The feature is in browse mode settings.  It's a check box that says use screen layout, if supported.  Uncheck this box and activate the ok button.

Gene

can't find it.
Thanks a

Andy

i agree! It's a case of someone other than the user trying to cram something down our throats because we should do things like a sighted person does.

Andy

Sent: Wednesday, December 06, 2017 4:43 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] links on single line

Gene

can't find it.
Thanks a

Gene

I haven't worked with online discussion forums enough to say much but I've seen some comments that forums are easier to work with.  But in general, it's better to have links read on their own line.

Gene

Sent: Wednesday, December 06, 2017 6:49 PM

This brings up the question of why preserving screen layout is a good idea. I mean, maybe that has to do with working with sighted colleagues? But if that's the only reason, then I'm definitely turning it off as of little to no use.

Mary

Gene

can't find it.
Thanks a

Gene

I don't know why having multiple links read on a line if that is how they are presented on screen is the default.  But having links read on their own line should be the default because that is the one that would generally be used and because new NVDA users and inexperienced Windows users won't even know there is such a setting so it should be set in the way it would generally be used.

Gene

Sent: Wednesday, December 06, 2017 6:58 PM

i agree! It's a case of someone other than the user trying to cram something down our throats because we should do things like a sighted person does.

Andy

Sent: Wednesday, December 06, 2017 4:43 PM

Gene

can't find it.
Thanks a

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Use screen layout. Is this not what you turn off?
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, December 07, 2017 12:25 AM

I am running NVDA 2017-4 on a Win 10 64 bit machine. I have a web site where there are multiple links on a single line thus NVDA reads them together. If my memory is right there is a way to get NVDA to read this multi link lines as if each link was separate. Looked everywhere but can't find it.
Thanks a

Clare Page <clare.page@...>

Hi!

I always keep Preserve Screen layout on, not because I have sighted people looking at my screen, but because I don’t see any need to move between links with up and down arrows, when that can easily be done with the Tab key or the quick navigation keys k and shift+k, or even using links in the  elements list.

Throughout my ten years of using JAWS there was no choice in the matter, there was no toggle, but with NVDA I’m glad we have a choice, between what seems to me to be a more accurate view of the website and one which is simply there because other screenreaders have it, so many blind people feel it is normal or convenient.

It’s possible that my view is a minority one in the blind community, but maybe I’m not the only one who finds nothing wrong with preserving screen layout in web browsers. That’s why I like the toggle in NVDA: those who want to arrow through links still have that option, but we’re not stuck with one or the other;

Bye for now!

From Clare

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Mary Otten
Sent: jeudi 7 décembre 2017 01:50
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

Mary

Gene

can't find it.
Thanks a

Chris

I am with you clare, 100% 😃

Sent: 07 December 2017 14:02

Hi!

I always keep Preserve Screen layout on, not because I have sighted people looking at my screen, but because I don’t see any need to move between links with up and down arrows, when that can easily be done with the Tab key or the quick navigation keys k and shift+k, or even using links in the  elements list.

Throughout my ten years of using JAWS there was no choice in the matter, there was no toggle, but with NVDA I’m glad we have a choice, between what seems to me to be a more accurate view of the website and one which is simply there because other screenreaders have it, so many blind people feel it is normal or convenient.

It’s possible that my view is a minority one in the blind community, but maybe I’m not the only one who finds nothing wrong with preserving screen layout in web browsers. That’s why I like the toggle in NVDA: those who want to arrow through links still have that option, but we’re not stuck with one or the other;

Bye for now!

From Clare

Mary

Gene

can't find it.
Thanks a

Mary Otten

The toggle is great.  But I agree with Gene that the default should be set tnot to preserve screen layout For people coming from other screen readers, that is just one more thing to get use to. And after you've been using enough different systems over the course of 2 or 3 decades, lessening the cognitive load in the betinning is a big deal imho.

On 12/7/2017 6:02 AM, Clare Page wrote:

Hi!

Bye for now!

From Clare

Mary

Gene

can't find it.
Thanks a

Gene

There are times when it is beneficial to use the arrow keys.  There are times when there are small amounts of text between links and you will miss them moving in all the ways you mention.  And there are times when there are two or three sentences between a lot of links such as on many newspaper sites.  When I look at the top news links on The New York Times page, I often let use read to end to hear for part of that section to hear the link, the headline, and the few senteences of text about the story that follow the link. 
At times, moving in other ways shows you convenient ways to find things that you would miss otherwise.  On the New York Times home page, there is a button that says all.  Links and text for the most important stories are under this all button.  If you only move by link, you won't know this.  I don't recall now how I found this button as the very convenient and reliable landmark that it is, but it wasn't by moving just by links. 

Also, an important reason I said that preserve screen layout shouldn't be on by default is for new or inexperienced Internet users.  I don't want a new or inexperienced user to worry about moving by line or tabbing or in some other way while moving through links.  I want the new or inexperienced user to have as much uniformity as possible.  Defaults are not set for experienced users.  If they were, no screen-reader would have their speech set nearly as slowly as it is.  Why is this rule not followed with the screen layout setting? 

Also, I'm quite sure I saw a similar setting choice in JAWS.  I don't recall if I checked in Window-eyes. 
Gene

Sent: Thursday, December 07, 2017 8:52 AM

Hi!

Bye for now!

From Clare

Mary

Gene

can't find it.
Thanks a

hi gene.
i am completely agree with you.
while i use internet for more than 3years, i did not learn screen
layout and i only use simple layout.
whats the advantages of screen layout realy?

On 12/7/17, Gene <gsasner@ripco.com> wrote:
There are times when it is beneficial to use the arrow keys. There are
times when there are small amounts of text between links and you will miss
them moving in all the ways you mention. And there are times when there are
two or three sentences between a lot of links such as on many newspaper
sites. When I look at the top news links on The New York Times page, I
often let use read to end to hear for part of that section to hear the link,
the headline, and the few senteences of text about the story that follow the
link.
At times, moving in other ways shows you convenient ways to find things that
you would miss otherwise. On the New York Times home page, there is a
button that says all. Links and text for the most important stories are
under this all button. If you only move by link, you won't know this. I
don't recall now how I found this button as the very convenient and reliable
landmark that it is, but it wasn't by moving just by links.

Also, an important reason I said that preserve screen layout shouldn't be on
by default is for new or inexperienced Internet users. I don't want a new
or inexperienced user to worry about moving by line or tabbing or in some
other way while moving through links. I want the new or inexperienced user
to have as much uniformity as possible. Defaults are not set for
experienced users. If they were, no screen-reader would have their speech
set nearly as slowly as it is. Why is this rule not followed with the
screen layout setting?

Also, I'm quite sure I saw a similar setting choice in JAWS. I don't recall
if I checked in Window-eyes.
Gene

Sent: Thursday, December 07, 2017 8:52 AM

Hi!

I always keep Preserve Screen layout on, not because I have sighted people
looking at my screen, but because I don’t see any need to move between links
with up and down arrows, when that can easily be done with the Tab key or
the quick navigation keys k and shift+k, or even using links in the
elements list.

Throughout my ten years of using JAWS there was no choice in the matter,
there was no toggle, but with NVDA I’m glad we have a choice, between what
seems to me to be a more accurate view of the website and one which is
simply there because other screenreaders have it, so many blind people feel
it is normal or convenient.

It’s possible that my view is a minority one in the blind community, but
maybe I’m not the only one who finds nothing wrong with preserving screen
layout in web browsers. That’s why I like the toggle in NVDA: those who want
to arrow through links still have that option, but we’re not stuck with one
or the other;

Bye for now!

From Clare

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Mary
Otten

This brings up the question of why preserving screen layout is a good idea.
I mean, maybe that has to do with working with sighted colleagues? But if
that's the only reason, then I'm definitely turning it off as of little to
no use.

Mary

Just one more example of why having links read each link on a separate
line should be the default, as I said two or three days ago. The feature is
in browse mode settings. It's a check box that says use screen layout, if
supported. Uncheck this box and activate the ok button.

Gene

I am running NVDA 2017-4 on a Win 10 64 bit machine. I have a web site
together. If my memory is right there is a way to get NVDA to read this
multi link lines as if each link was separate. Looked everywhere but
can't find it.
Thanks a

--
we have not sent you but as a mercy to the entire creation.
holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration from prophet Mohammad is:
indeed, imam husayn is the beacon of guidance and the ark of salvation.
best website for studying islamic book in different languages
www.al-islam.org

Gene

What I've seen others say is that when dealing with Internet discussion forums, using screen layout presents information you can look at in a much more logical way. 

Gene

Sent: Thursday, December 07, 2017 9:56 AM

hi gene.
i am completely agree with you.
while i use internet for more than 3years, i did not learn screen
layout and i only use simple layout.
whats the advantages of screen layout realy?

On 12/7/17, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
> There are times when it is beneficial to use the arrow keys.  There are
> times when there are small amounts of text between links and you will miss
> them moving in all the ways you mention.  And there are times when there are
> two or three sentences between a lot of links such as on many newspaper
> sites.  When I look at the top news links on The New York Times page, I
> often let use read to end to hear for part of that section to hear the link,
> the headline, and the few senteences of text about the story that follow the
> link.
> At times, moving in other ways shows you convenient ways to find things that
> you would miss otherwise.  On the New York Times home page, there is a
> button that says all.  Links and text for the most important stories are
> under this all button.  If you only move by link, you won't know this.  I
> don't recall now how I found this button as the very convenient and reliable
> landmark that it is, but it wasn't by moving just by links.
>
> Also, an important reason I said that preserve screen layout shouldn't be on
> by default is for new or inexperienced Internet users.  I don't want a new
> or inexperienced user to worry about moving by line or tabbing or in some
> other way while moving through links.  I want the new or inexperienced user
> to have as much uniformity as possible.  Defaults are not set for
> experienced users.  If they were, no screen-reader would have their speech
> set nearly as slowly as it is.  Why is this rule not followed with the
> screen layout setting?
>
> Also, I'm quite sure I saw a similar setting choice in JAWS.  I don't recall
> if I checked in Window-eyes.
> Gene
> ----- Original Message -----
>
> From: Chris
> Sent: Thursday, December 07, 2017 8:52 AM
> To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
> Subject: Re: [nvda] links on single line
>
>
> I am with you clare, 100% 😃
>
>
>
>
>
> From: Clare Page
> Sent: 07 December 2017 14:02
>
>
>
> Hi!
>
> I always keep Preserve Screen layout on, not because I have sighted people
> looking at my screen, but because I don’t see any need to move between links
> with up and down arrows, when that can easily be done with the Tab key or
> the quick navigation keys k and shift+k, or even using links in the
> elements list.
>
> Throughout my ten years of using JAWS there was no choice in the matter,
> there was no toggle, but with NVDA I’m glad we have a choice, between what
> seems to me to be a more accurate view of the website and one which is
> simply there because other screenreaders have it, so many blind people feel
> it is normal or convenient.
>
> It’s possible that my view is a minority one in the blind community, but
> maybe I’m not the only one who finds nothing wrong with preserving screen
> layout in web browsers. That’s why I like the toggle in NVDA: those who want
> to arrow through links still have that option, but we’re not stuck with one
> or the other;
>
> Bye for now!
>
> From Clare
>
>
>
> From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Mary
> Otten
> Sent: jeudi 7 décembre 2017 01:50
>
>
>
> This brings up the question of why preserving screen layout is a good idea.
> I mean, maybe that has to do with working with sighted colleagues? But if
> that's the only reason, then I'm definitely turning it off as of little to
> no use.
>
>
>
> Mary
>
>
>
> On 12/6/2017 4:43 PM, Gene wrote:
>
>   Just one more example of why having links read each link on a separate
> line should be the default, as I said two or three days ago.  The feature is
> in browse mode settings.  It's a check box that says use screen layout, if
> supported.  Uncheck this box and activate the ok button.
>
>
>
>   Gene
>
>   ----- Original Message -----
>
>   From: Don H
>
>   Sent: Wednesday, December 06, 2017 6:25 PM
>
>   To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
>
>   Subject: [nvda] links on single line
>
>
>
>   I am running NVDA 2017-4 on a Win 10 64 bit machine.  I have a web site
>   where there are multiple links on a single line thus NVDA reads them
>   together.  If my memory is right there is a way to get NVDA to read this
>   multi link lines as if each link was separate.  Looked everywhere but
>   can't find it.
>   Thanks a
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

--
we have not sent you but as a mercy to the entire creation.
holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration from prophet Mohammad is:
indeed, imam husayn is the beacon of guidance and the ark of salvation.
best website for studying islamic book in different languages
www.al-islam.org

特種兵

hi,

1. screen layout is enable sometimes causes a broken component, because the cut off may not be the ideal relationship.
That would make me suddenly find out whether this checkbox belongs to the above or below items.

2. Use the actual configuration can be used in your familiar web page under the arrow keys to quickly move to the next block.
Because sometimes single-key browsing may not come in handy.

3. Web site testing, we hope that the layout of the site itself in line with accessibility design,
So we need to understand the real configuration of the screen,
After all, not every guide software has to provide screen layout disable mode,
And we hope that the website is accessible for most of the screen reader and browser.

Mary Otten 於 2017/12/7 上午 08:49 寫道:

Mary

Gene

can't find it.
Thanks a