Navigating Text since NVDA 2017.3

Damien Sykes <damien@...>

Hi guys,
For anyone like me who has noticed the text lag and wonders why. The following came from Tyler Spivey, who helped me resolve this strange conundrum.
It actually appears that NVDA has always had some reason or other to have to wait a predetermined amount of time for the cursor to move in order to read whatever new information is under the cursor, or to inform of highlighted text, or if no change has occurred, to state the fact that we are at the beginning or end of the field. Until 2017.3, this was 30 milliseconds, a time so short that you would hardly notice it.

An entry in the change log for 2017.3 reads:
• In editable text, when moving the caret (e.g. with the cursor keys or backspace), NVDA's spoken feedback is now more accurate in many cases, particularly in Chrome and terminal applications.

In fact, one of the ways this seems to have been resolved was to increase the cursor wait time from 30 to 100 milliseconds, which may not seem much but is in fact a 230% increase. This means that people who are well tuned in to how NVDA read data previously, and perhaps more importantly rely on speed, will notice this change.
This is all apparently covered on GitHub, which, as far as I’m concerned isn’t really a user-friendly platform (that’s to say it’s meant for developers, and expert ones at that, which means you’re going to see a lot of technical jargon). Some may argue that this issue is a very fine line between a development technicality and usability, and since I seem to have been the only one who cared or even noticed this, I’m inclined to agree. But at least it’s out there now.
So, to summarise:
1. This is actually intended behaviour.
2. You can change it, but you have to know how and where it’s stored. It’s not in the configuration dialogs. Some may not even find it worth the effort – I only did because it ground straight through my sensitive teeth and pounded through my skull.
3. If you change it, be aware that you may not get the improved accuracy stated in the change log entry quoted above.
Cheers.
Damien.

Quentin Christensen

Damien,

Well tracked down :)

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Damien Sykes <damien@...>

Hi,
Actually, Tyler did all the tracking down, I simply put it out here for people to understand what was going on. I still don’t quite understand the magnitude of the issue myself. I noticed the issue, Tyler told me what it was and how to change it, I changed it and verified that it worked, I “published”, if you will, the results.
Cheers.
Damien.

Sent: Thursday, December 07, 2017 1:27 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Navigating Text since NVDA 2017.3

[...]

Well, to those who need the answer, that you got the information out there is as important a part of the process as Tyler in tracking it down.  A team effort :)

Sent: Thursday, December 07, 2017 1:27 AM

[...]

hi.
can you please explane for me how should i change the behaviour to the
previous state?
God bless you all.

http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess
holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
www.al-islam.org

Lenron

wow so I have notice this, please how the hell can I fix it?

wrote:
[...]

Lenron Brown
Cell: 985-271-2832
Skype: ron.brown762

Brian's Mail list account

I do agree about Github, though not for the reasons you state. I do feel its trying to be everything to everybody and is thus quite cluttered and opaque to a new user. Also when filling out new issues I'd far prefer separate fields for the questions than the in field suggestions on the current single field, as this is awkward to use for most people.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

[...]

If you are still on .3 it is already there. I seem to recall your computer is quite old and running xp?
If so then this discussion is not applicable.

wrote:
[...]

yes, but i want to return the behaviour of nvda 17.3 to the previous versions.
what should i do?

wrote:
[...]

Robert Mendoza

To reset to configuration factory default, press nvda plus control plus R, thrice.

wrote:
[...]

Antony Stone

The question was not how to restore NVDA 2017.3 to its default settings; the
question was how to make NVDA 2017.3 work (in this specific respect) like NVDA
2017.2 and earlier.

Damien Sykes reported that he had hear from Tyler Spivey that "You can change
it, but you have to know how and where it’s stored. It’s not in the
configuration dialogs."

There may be more information in the GIT documentation; I am not sure.

Antony.

wrote:
[...]

This email was created using 100% recycled electrons.

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

hi antony.
exactly you are correct.
what should i do in this regard?
thanks so much all for your help, God bless you!

wrote:
[...]

Ann Byrne

what is the fix?????

At 07:57 PM 12/6/2017, you wrote:
Hi,
Actually, Tyler did all the tracking down, I simply put it out here for people to understand what was going on. I still don’t quite understand the magnitude of the issue myself. I noticed the issue, Tyler told me what it was and how to change it, I changed it and verified that it worked, I “publishedâ€, if you will, the results.
Cheers.
Damien.

For anyone like me who has noticed the text lag and wonders why. The following came from Tyler Spivey, who helped me resolve this strange conundrum.
It actually appears that NVDA has always had some reason or other to have to wait a predetermined amount of time for the cursor to move in order to read whatever new information is under the cursor, or to inform of highlighted text, or if no change has occurred, to state the fact that we are at the beginning or end of the field. Until 2017.3, this was 30 milliseconds, a time so short that you would hardly notice it.

An entry in the change log for 2017.3 reads:
• In editable text, when moving the caret (e.g. with the cuursor keys or backspace), NVDA's spoken feedback is now more accurate in many cases, particularly in Chrome and terminal applications.

[...]

Official NVDA Training modules and expert certification now available: <http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/>http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

www.nvaccess.org
Facebook: <http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess>http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess
Twitter: @NVAccess

Gary

I can only assume this change is to blame for my current problems.  In a terminal window, the clearing of old text is happening even less often than before, not more often.  It is making terminal use unbearable.  Additionally, when I try to use Insert+F9 to copy text from a terminal window, the cursor jumps to another area and now copying and pasting is not possible.  I'm essentially unable to productively do my job and am at a loss.

I guess I can go back to the preverson, but long term...I suppose I'll need to figure out how to fix the cursor weight?

Anyone else use a terminal program in this group having these problems?

Gary

Hareth <hareth4m@...>

I do have all that with terminals interface, most of the time I'd use
the long procedure of press alt+spacebar and open the "edit submenu"
to do what i need with the the text.

On 12/7/17, Gary <ironmangary@...> wrote:
I can only assume this change is to blame for my current problems.  In a
terminal window, the clearing of old text is happening even less often than
before, not more often.  It is making terminal use unbearable.
Additionally, when I try to use Insert+F9 to copy text from a terminal
window, the cursor jumps to another area and now copying and pasting is not
possible.  I'm essentially unable to productively do my job and am at a
loss.

I guess I can go back to the preverson, but long term...I suppose I'll need
to figure out how to fix the cursor weight?

Anyone else use a terminal program in this group having these problems?

Gary

Gary

I don't seem to have that option using Tera Term Pro.  It would be nice if I could virtualize the entire window, then copy and paste from there, but that's not an option, either.

Between the terminal screen not clearing and the Insert+F9 function not working as it did previously, I'm basically without a way to do my job until I can figure this out. :(

Tyler Spivey

Do you need to use TeraTerm? What are your requirements, just an ssh
client? If so, try putty.
We can virtualize the window with an addon. What's wrong with insert+f9/f10?
I've been using terminals or command lines for years. I think we can
figure something out. You can contact me off-list if you want.

On 12/7/2017 9:33 AM, Gary wrote:
I don't seem to have that option using Tera Term Pro.  It would be nice
if I could virtualize the entire window, then copy and paste from there,
but that's not an option, either.

Between the terminal screen not clearing and the Insert+F9 function not
working as it did previously, I'm basically without a way to do my job
until I can figure this out. :(

Gary

Thanks. I sent you a direct email, so not to clutter the list since my problem seems unique to a degree. :)

hi.
i also send you email privately.
i am waiting for your help.