Topics

JAWS User Looking for Guidance in Getting Started with NVDA.

Kenny <kwashingtonbox@...>

Hello,

I'm a current user of the latest build of JAWS 2018. Using Eloquence as my software synth.

Well the time has come that I can no longer afford to pay the Freedom Scientific SMA JAWS upgrades (Been using JAWS for over 20 years), so I'm turning to NVDA.

My first two questions:

Does NVDA use a keyboard navigation system similar to JAWS? If not, is there a way I can configure it to work this way?

Also can I configure NVDA to use the Eloquence module currently installed on my PC (Thanks to JAWS?) If not, is there a NVDA software synth available that's just as good to use?

Thanks for any help.

Quentin Christensen

Hi Kenny,

Firstly, while it partly depends on which parts of Jaws and which parts of NVDA you rely on most, yes, NVDA's keystrokes are broadly similar to those used by Jaws.  By default the NVDA key is Insert, and on a laptop you may prefer to set it to caps lock.  In desktop layout, to read the current line is NVDA+up arrow (NVDA+L on laptop) and to read from the current point onwards is NVDA+down arrow (laptop layout is NVDA+A), and many other commands such as NVDA+T and so on work the same.

A community project was to write a transition guide for those like yourself moving from Jaws to NVDA, so that would be worth reading: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda-community/wiki/SwitchingFromJawsToNVDA

To the second part of your question, the version of Eloquence you got with Jaws is licensed to Jaws only, so you won't be able to use it.  The good news is that you can purchase eloquence for NVDA.  There are two versions, a SAPI version, which will work with any program that can use SAPI voices, and a version specifically tailored for NVDA.  Different people have different opinions on which is better (and indeed, there is a discussion on this list currently on that very topic), but what I would suggest, is try the demo version of each and see which you prefer.  Links available from: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/wiki/ExtraVoices

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi

Do you mean by keyboard navigation the usual?

Like using the arrow keys tab etc etc.

You would find it quite easy to pick up.

Depending if you install nvda to your pc you will have the choice of the desktop layout or a lap top layout for your keyboard.

If you install nvda to your pc it is the alt key + ctrl key + letter N to start nvda.

To get into your preferences is the nvda key + the letter N

To quit your copy of nvda is the nvda key + the letter Q

Where i refer to the nvda key this is a modifier key and can be the insert key the extended insert key or the caps lock key. You would use one of the with a key to turn off nvda. for example if the insert key is chosen you would use the insert key + letter Q to turn off nvda.

NVDA comes default with the e speak synth but you can use other free or paid synths.

The synth you are talking about is a commercial one and can come as a add on or a sapi 5 version  at a cost.

There are keys combo that are simular to jaws and plus you can change them if needed.

The following link may help you to answer some of your questions at https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda-community/wiki/FAQ

Gene nz

On 12/7/2017 3:41 PM, Kenny wrote:
Hello,

I'm a current user of the latest build of JAWS 2018. Using Eloquence as my software synth.

Well the time has come that I can no longer afford to pay the Freedom Scientific SMA JAWS upgrades (Been using JAWS for over 20 years), so I'm turning to NVDA.

My first two questions:

Does NVDA use a keyboard navigation system similar to JAWS? If not, is there a way I can configure it to work this way?

Also can I configure NVDA to use the Eloquence module currently installed on my PC (Thanks to JAWS?) If not, is there a NVDA software synth available that's just as good to use?

Thanks for any help.

Kenny <kwashingtonbox@...>

Thanks so much Question for your assistance.

Just the type of informative response I was hoping to get from this list.

Well it looks like between my new Echo 2nd edition and learning about NVDA, 2018 will be quite a year for me.

A community project was to write a transition guide for those like yourself moving from Jaws to NVDA, so that would be worth reading:Â https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda-community/wiki/SwitchingFromJawsToNVDA

[...]

Official NVDA Training modules and expert certification nowÂ
available:Â http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

www.nvaccess.orgÂ
Facebook:Â http://www.facebook.com/NVAccessÂ
Twitter: @NVAccessÂ

Kenny <kwashingtonbox@...>

Yes the reading navigation keys.

I've been using JAWS for 20+ years. It's like my fingers have a mind of their own. Will be very difficult to change my habits from wanting to use the numpad keys for navigation.

Will definitely take some time.

At 11:27 PM 12/6/2017, you wrote:

[...]

JM Casey <crystallogic@...>

I started using NVDA recently, and I really was surprised at how similar the default keyboard layout is to that of JAWS. I’m sure this wasn’t done by accident. The only thing is, that navigation and focus does work a little differently. And of ourse, ther’es no “JAWS cursor”, but that particular JFW feature is growing less and less useful as times goes on (though I still use it a fair bit in certain older applications that don’t have screen-reader support built in or any add-ons).

NVDA’s web support is great, and while I happen to only have Office 2010 on this Windows 10 machine, Outlook and Word both function pretty much as well as they do with JFW. Others have reported issues with office 2016/365, but, well, this isn’t unique to nVDA users so far as I can tell.

At 11:27 PM 12/6/2017, you wrote:

[...]

Hi.
The NVDA documentation (user guide) is very concise and clear and I think it
will answer all of your questions. When I first ran nVDA, the default eSpeak
voice put me off so much that I almost didn't want to go back there.
However, you can pick a synth, and as already mentioned, there are Eloquence
add-ons, though I guess you won't find them exactly the same as your JAWS
experience. The other software synth that's licensed to jAWS, Vocalizer
Expressive, is also available. You have to pay for both of these, but it's
certainly less than the cost of a JAWS SMA. :)

I'm a current user of the latest build of JAWS 2018. Using Eloquence as my
software synth.

Well the time has come that I can no longer afford to pay the Freedom
Scientific SMA JAWS upgrades (Been using JAWS for over 20 years), so I'm
turning to NVDA.

My first two questions:

Does NVDA use a keyboard navigation system similar to JAWS? If not, is there
a way I can configure it to work this way?

Also can I configure NVDA to use the Eloquence module currently installed on
my PC (Thanks to JAWS?) If not, is there a NVDA software synth available
that's just as good to use?

Thanks for any help.

Martin O'Sullivan

you can try out the following free training course.

Learn NVDA:  http://www.afb.org/info/living-with-vision-loss/using-technology/assistive-technology-videos/learn-nvda/1234
There are also training courses here. http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/
And there is a book  Windows Screen Reader Keystroke Compendium: Covering JAWS, NVDA, and Narrator (SCREEN) http://www.nbp.org/ic/nbp/SCREEN.html
SwitchingFromJawsToNVDA https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda-community/wiki/SwitchingFromJawsToNVDA
NVDA Frequently Asked Questions(FAQ) https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda-community/wiki/FAQ
Hope this helps.

Gene

There is no setting to use the equivalent of the JAWS cursor with standard movement keys such as up and down arrow.  There is an equivalent to the JAWS cursor, screen review and you navigate mostly using the numpad in that mode.  It's somewhat similar to Window-eyes in that you can still use the arrow keys on the main keyboard and the main navigation commands for screen review are on the numpad.  This is for the desktop layout.  I don't know what the navigation commands are for the laptop layout.

After using screen review, you should return to object navigation.  If you do, certain review commands you may want to use won't work correctly. For example I don't like using the read current line command NVDA uses.  I use numpad 8 which reads the current object, which acts the same as read current line.

At 11:27 PM 12/6/2017, you wrote:

[...]

Gene,

You bring up something which poses a question I've had for a while now.

Is there really any advantage to using screen review over object nav, or vice versa?
---
Christopher Gilland

At 11:27 PM 12/6/2017, you wrote:

[...]

I don't use apps, such as Windows 10 apps, but my understanding is that there are at least some apps that you have to use object navigation to get good access to.

But aside from that, at times you can see things with one you can't see with the other.  If you expect to see something you don't see, based on what a program does, then checking with whatever one you haven't checked with may allow you to see it.

Gene

At 11:27 PM 12/6/2017, you wrote:

[...]

Adriani Botez

NVDA has sort of jaws cursor. This is called screen review. And OCR as well. And it has much more usefull things like object navigation and beautiful addons like objpad and golden cursor which gives you more accessibility than any other screen reader.

You can have a look at

www.addons.nvda-project.org

to discover some really interesting features which you can add to you own NVDA version.

Best

Adriani

At 11:27 PM 12/6/2017, you wrote:

[...]

There is also the addon tip of the day which gives you every day one good tipp on almost every NVDA function. For beginners it is a must have.

Grab it on

www.addons.nvda-project.org

Best

Adriani