Design Help, Please

tonea.ctr.morrow@...

Hello,

I’m in the United States, Central time, so it just turned 8 a.m. I’ll be available until 3 p.m.

My problem is this, I design help files that accompany software. I want to make sure what I design is readable to screen readers.

Having no sensory input problems, I designed the help system for such as myself. Many pages of the help system have a copy of the home screen at the top. It has hot hyperlinks over the image. Thus the viewer can see a typical home screen and select the text or button with which they want help. This enables them to quickly jump to that help page.

Now I’m going back and making these things friendly to screen readers. I know they read alt text, which means I need to break apart the image and reassemble it so each text area (which has a hyperlink on top) has its own alt text.

Not knowing how screen readers work, is that the best method? I need something that will work with the most common screen readers. If they read hyperlink text, does breaking the image apart just create more reading? Am I cluttering the audible page with this approach? Or, should I have my hyperlinks have their own tooltips? The maker of the software I use, Help and Manual, has made the offer:

Begin Quote: It's important to remember that every graphic can only have one tooltip. You can add additional tooltips with hotspot links, but they currently only have the tip in a title= attribute, not in an alt= attribute (let us know if screen readers need that as well and we'll add it). However, if you add hotspot tooltips the hotspots are not really part of the image. They are in a special "image map" that positions their clickable areas over the image. If you are going to use hotspots to implement multiple tooltips in a single graphic it would be important to test it out with current screen readers first to see how they handle them -- they would need to read the image maps in the "correct" order and respond accordingly.

--Tim Green, Monday, November 27, 2017, 5:29 p.m. End Quote

So, H&M is willing to add alt=attribute support, if it will help the screen readers process an image map better than a tiled image.

I thought I’d ask experts, since I don’t know. What do you think?

Tonea Morrow

Tonea Morrow

Technical Writer

MCSG/SAIC | Desk: 405-954-7152

MMAC: Base Maintenance Building 15

Enterprise Services Center (ESC)

6500 S. MacArthur Blvd, OKC, OK  73169

tonea.ctr.morrow@... | www.esc.gov

Availability (appointments outside these)

Mo

7a – 5 p

If I take a lunch, I’ll be here later. If I take a kid to a doctor, I’ll be here later on Friday.

Tu

7:30 a – 3:30p

We

7:30 a – 3p

Th

7:30 a – 3:30p

Fr

7:30 a – 2p

hello.
if you want to make available your files for blind users, the best
format for us is html only.
i myself, save any page that i love, in html only format for three reasons.
first, avoiding images and crowdering of my system because of the
image that i cant see, second, for having only one file, but html
complete is a folder not one single file!
but users of windows ten can use builtin ocr images included in windows ten,
and other can use addon for recognizing images from texts.
if you want to preserve images for blinds, i think its best to provide
discription for them.
hope that can help you, God bless you!

On 12/7/17, tonea.ctr.morrow@... <tonea.ctr.morrow@...> wrote:
[...]

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
www.al-islam.org

Brian Moore

Hi.  Without an example, it is a little difficult to speculate.  However,

if the link <title> attribute is labeled correctly, this would be more useful than adding "alt" tags.

Happy to play with a prototype and look at code and make suggestions.

work phone is 416-325-2988 although that is calling Canada.  alternatively, write privately if you like.

either this address or

brian.moore2@...

Contact me on skype: brian.moore
follow me on twitter:
http://www.twitter.com/bmoore123
On 12/07/2017 9:24 AM, tonea.ctr.morrow@... wrote:

[...]

Gene

Help files need not be in HTML.  This is part of a program and whatever the format is, if the files can be made to read well with a screen-reader, there is no need to change the format.

> [...]

> readers first to see how they handle them -- they would need to read the
> image maps in the "correct" order and respond accordingly.
>
> --Tim Green, Monday, November 27, 2017, 5:29 p.m. End Quote
>
> So, H&M is willing to add alt=attribute support, if it will help the screen
> readers process an image map better than a tiled image.
>
> I thought I'd ask experts, since I don't know. What do you think?
>
> Tonea Morrow
>
> Tonea Morrow
>
> Technical Writer
> MCSG/SAIC | Desk: 405-954-7152
> MMAC: Base Maintenance Building 15
> Enterprise Services Center (ESC)
> 6500 S. MacArthur Blvd, OKC, OK  73169
> tonea.ctr.morrow@... | www.esc.gov
>
> Availability (appointments outside these)
> Mo
>
> 7a - 5 p
>
> If I take a lunch, I'll be here later. If I take a kid to a doctor, I'll be

Hi Tonea,

Can you provide me (offlist) with a sample of a help documentation that is written with that program? That way I can figure out what’s up and provide suggestions (when sending samples, I prefer HTML or docx).

If links to sections are images and are coded with HTML, then alt text (alternative text) should work across browsers. A good example that illustrate this principle is mobile Twitter page (m.twitter.com) where different Twitter actions are graphics yet NVDA will announce labels. Another example, although a bit more technical, is Python documentation (docs.python.org).

P.S. There is another reason why I request sending samples to me offlist, and that’s for career reasons.

Cheers,

Joseph

[...]

I’ve sent you and Gene a private email with sample files. Check your junk folder if you didn’t get it. –Thanks!

[...]

Rayn Darren <rayndarren@...>

Hi, I’d be willing to help out too if you would like. Is it possible to see it in action along with the code or is this a private network?

Happy to help,

Rayn

[...]

You have been send a copy!

Tonea Morrow

[...]

Adriani Botez

Could you please send an example of a help file? You could send it privately as well.

Best

Adriani

[...]

I sent it to the list and to you privately. Email warned me that no one would likely get it because the attachments are suspicious. Just letting you know to check your junk or virus folder.

Tonea

Could you please send an example of a help file? You could send it privately as well.

Best

Adriani

Gene

Most lists don't allow attachments for security reasons and this list follows that practice.  that's why I suggested using a file sharing service like Drop Box.  You can send attachments privately to everyone who inquires or you can send a link for people to download it.

Sent: Thursday, December 07, 2017 3:59 PM