New Development Question

tonea.ctr.morrow@...

When I create help files, they are in three formats:

1.       Online system, whether html (web help), chm (single-file html), or exe (stand-alone help).

2.       Color PDF for download and computer viewing.

3.       Black and White PDF for download and printing.

So I need some help understanding how things are read by your screen reader.

I have a table of contents for graphics. Visual people can often recognize a picture faster than a word, so in addition to the traditional text of headings and subheadings, this separate table of contents provides persons whose native language is not English a means of finding the help they are seeking by letting them look pictorially.

Right now, I have a table of two columns. A picture is in each cell of the left column and the page for reference is in the right column. The pictures have labels, so I know they will be readable by screen readers. What I don’t know is how the reader approaches a table. Does it read whole row before going to the next row? Or does it read the whole column before going to the next column? Or, am I ignorant in how each of you has control to say how a table is read? I’ve already learned that you “see” websites differently than sighted persons because you have different modes on the readers.

I realize that you may not be interested in a table of contents for graphics, but this question will help anytime I have to make a table.

Thanks for your understanding,

Tonea Morrow

Hi,

The way tables are handl3ed depends on the screen reader and how it takes advantage of underlying document structure (a bit technical, I know). At the moment when a person uses up or down arrow to move through tables, NVDA will move across columns and down to the next row. There are commands that’ll let folks move between columns horizontally and vertically.

Cheers,

Joseph

[...]

It sounds like you see it the same way we do…any way you want. Okay, so unless someone gives me different guidance, I just need to make sure the columns have a row of headers? I’ll admit it…I have more than 25 years in print work where this never came up. With print dying out, I’m glad to have gotten this job, but I’ve never had to wonder how to make things accessible in print other than size and layout. I know there are PDF guidelines and I need to learn more about them, but I can only chew one bite at a time.

Tonea Morrow

The way tables are handl3ed depends on the screen reader and how it takes advantage of underlying document structure (a bit technical, I know). At the moment when a person uses up or down arrow to move through tables, NVDA will move across columns and down to the next row. There are commands that’ll let folks move between columns horizontally and vertically.

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi,

Yes, a header row will work too.

Cheers,

Joseph

[...]

Rayn Darren

I strongly suggest a membership to Deque University. There is tons and tons of information regarding accessibility as  that’s what they do. It will help a great deal both now and in the future.