Topics

speechhub add-on installation error

Aschalew Byness

I couldn't install speechhub add-on. When I try to install it, it says
'Failed to install add-on from C:\Users\ytake\Downloads\SpeechHub
(1).nvda-addon'. solution?

Double check in Add-Ons Manager (NVDA+N,T,A,Enter) to see whether it's actually not there.

I received a message to the same effect about Speech History when I tried to install it two days ago (I think) and mentioned that here on the group.  Even though I got that error it appears to have been spurious, as the Speech History add-on is shown as installed and enabled in Add-Ons Manager.

Please report back on your findings.

Aschalew Byness

No, I couldn't find it in the installed add-on list.

Double check in Add-Ons Manager (NVDA+N,T,A,Enter) to see whether it's
actually not there.

I received a message to the same effect about Speech History when I tried to
install it two days ago (I think) and mentioned that here on the group.
Even though I got that error it appears to have been spurious, as the Speech
History add-on is shown as installed and enabled in Add-Ons Manager.

Please report back on your findings.

*Science has become just another voice in the room; it has lost its
platform. Now, you simply declare your own truth.*

~ Dr. Paul A. Offit, in New York Times article, How Anti-Vaccine Sentiment
Took Hold in the United States (
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/23/health/anti-vaccination-movement-us.html
) , September 23, 2019

This does not appear to be an official NVDA add-on, and by that I mean that its developer has never submitted it for vetting and inclusion on the "official add-ons page:"

The SpeechHub main page is:  https://www.speakon.org.uk/SpeechHub.html
On that page they note that a brand new version was released last month that's compatible with NVDA 2019.3.1 and later with a link to the page where it can be downloaded.  On that page, the download is not "front and center" but is a good deal of the way down the page with a click-through link that reads, "here."

If this is not the version that  you have it's the one you need to get.  Pay attention to the installation instructions under the "here" link for downloading.

If the new version installer does not work, it is the developers of the add-on that need to be contacted first.  If they believe the issue lies with NVDA, they should initiate an issue report on the NVDA Github page.

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi

Could I ask which version of NVDA are you using? If I remember right unless it has been removed the old speech hub add on is found within the software but will only work on NVDA 2019.2 and earlier.

I am not sure if it has been updated or removed for that version.

I have the latest add on for NVDA 2019.3 and onwards which I think he has posted on the website as well I would have to check how far down the page it might be.

Not on my computer but will be on the website

The page where you can get teh add on from for nvda 2019.3 and onwards can be found at http://www.speakon.org.uk/SpeechHub/public/docs/NVDAClient/NVDADownloadInstallation.html

You will need to look for a heading called installing the speech hub add on and it will give you a link to the latest version and I think mention it for earlier versions.

Speech hub gets installed first then the add on. some times you might just have to reboot nvda for it to show up.

I will contact Isaac to see if he can make a change at the top of the page where speech hub and the add on come off.

It refers to the following below.

Download and installation for use with NVDA
SpeechHub Version 1.1.0, 1 July 2015
NVDA add-on April 2020
SpeechHub can be installed in Windows 7, 8 and 10.

The change of the date and nvda add on 2020 and say either where to look down the page or some thing along those lines.

Try the updated one and see if that does the trick for nvda 2019.3 onwards other wise if you tell us I am sure it can be passed on or he might see it in the next day or so and contact you as he is 13 hours behind us and will be night time.

Gene nz

On 31/05/2020 2:33 pm, Aschalew Byness wrote:
I couldn't install speechhub add-on. When I try to install it, it says
'Failed to install add-on from C:\Users\ytake\Downloads\SpeechHub
(1).nvda-addon'. solution?

Aschalew Byness

I am now able to install it! I was stupid that I didn’t install
SpeechHub exe first. This was the cause for the problem.
I have another question though. I didn’t find SpeechHub synthesizer as
fast as eSpeak or eloquence synthesizer. Anything I should do for
this?

) , September 23, 2019

Isaac Porat

Hello

I am glad it works now for you.

The NVDA add-on installation page:
http://www.speakon.org.uk/SpeechHub/public/docs/NVDAClient/NVDADownloadInstallation.html

States clearly that SpeechHub (there is a link to the installer on the same page as well) needs to be installed first.

When you install the SpeechHub NVDA add-on it checks that SpeechHub is there it runs a test on it and if all is well it completes the add-on installation.

Installed in the above sequence I did not receive a single report on an add-on failure.

Regarding it's synthesizers, I am not sure I understand your question about finding these:
Press [NVDA + Ctrl + s] and the list is there, there are five SpeechHub synthesizers by default group together clearly distinguished by the word 'SpeechHub'.

Regards
Isaac

) , September 23, 2019

Robert Mendoza

Sorry if interrupted this thread but, just curious.

What exactly does with SpeechHub differs from eSpeak?

Do they have other voices as well?

) , September 23, 2019

David Griffith

I don’t know if you had any other answers but as I understand Speech Hub basically operates to improve the performance of some legacy older voices like the older Microsoft voices and some others.

It also occasionally helps out in some other non NVDA situations, I don’t know why, but for example on one  machine I could not get the Speak On app to recognise standard purchased Sapi 5 voices but they worked fine when ported through SpeechHub for some reason so was very useful there.

David Griffith

re

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sorry if interrupted this thread but, just curious.

What exactly does with SpeechHub differs from eSpeak?

Do they have other voices as well?

Isaac Porat

Hi Sorry for the late reply.

The list of SpeechHub synthesizers that are supported by default and why you might like to use them is here:

http://www.speakon.org.uk/SpeechHub/public/docs/NVDAClient/NVDAWhyUse.html

With the SpeechHub NVDA add-on they appear in the list of synthesizers in the usual way.

Regards

Isaac

Sent from Mail ( https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986 ) for Windows 10