Topics

screen review commands not working for me

Brice Mijares

I've been trying to follow the following directions, but these directions are not working for me. I made sure I was in desktop layout.
It was a brief tutorial by Joseph Lee and I had copied it to wordpad and was trying to use the numpad keys to read it.

Screen review commands
Note the pattern as I give these commands:
Read previous line, numpad 7.
Read current line, numpad 8.
Read next line, numpad nine.
You move in screen review to the previous or next line when you issue those commands. You can keep moving and reading until you get to the top or bottom of the screen.
Read previous word, numpad 4.
Read current word, numpad 5.
Read next word, numpad 6.
Read previous character, numpad 1.
Read current character, numpad 2.
Read next character, numpad 3.
Note the pattern:

Thanks for any suggestions.

Gene

What do you mean when you say they don't work?  Assuming the commands are doing something, what are they doing?

Gene
[...]

Iván Novegil

Do you get simply any response? Is the objects browser on the textbox?

Regards

Iván Novegil Cancelas
Editor
ivan.novegil@...

Comunidad hispanohablante de NVDA | Proyecto NVDA.es
www.NVDA.es

Usuario do NVDA en galego

***Note que a anterior mensaxe e/ou os seus adxuntos pode conter información privada ou confidencial. O emprego da información desta mensaxe e/ou dos seus adxuntos está reservado ao ámbito privado do destinatario agás autorización do remitente. Se recibiu esta mensaxe por erro comuníqueo por esta mesma vía e destrúa a mensaxe.***

El 8 dic 2017, a las 18:45, Brice Mijares <bricemijares@...> escribió:

[...]

When I hit numpad 8 to read current line, it reads a completely different line. Same with previous line, word or character ETC. The tutorial was called getting started with NVDA.

On 12/8/2017 10:50 AM, Gene wrote:
[...]

I have no Idea what mode I'm in. The response is always different. I am new to NVDA. I was a 20 year window eyes user.

@inovegil <mailto:@inovegil>
Comunidad hispanohablante de NVDA | Proyecto NVDA.es <http://nvda.es/>
- www.NVDA.es <http://www.nvda.es/>
El 8 dic 2017, a las 18:45, Brice Mijares <bricemijares@... <mailto:bricemijares@...>> escribió:
[...]

Here is what I'm pretty sure is the problem.  You need to be in object navigation.  I've long maintained that object navigation should be automaticaly moved to when you switch from the program you were using screen review in.  Not being in object navigation but rather in screen review causes these commands not to work as described because they don't necessarily move properly as you move the cursor.  Issue the command numpad insert numpad 1 until you hear object navigation.  You can't accidentally go too far because if you issue it again, you will hear something like no more modes.  If I'm right about what's causing the problem, maybe the designers should take what I've said in the past more seriously.

and after you use screen navigation and are finished using it, always go back to object navigation.

Sent: Friday, December 08, 2017 1:20 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] screen review commands not working for me

When I hit numpad 8 to read current line, it reads a completely
different line.  Same with previous line, word or character ETC. The
tutorial was called getting started with NVDA.

On 12/8/2017 10:50 AM, Gene wrote:
> What do you mean when you say they don't work?  Assuming the commands
> are doing something, what are they doing?
> Gene

Brice Mijares

Jean, I'll give this a try and get back to the list later in the day. Wife and I have to do shopping. thanks for the help.

On 12/8/2017 11:30 AM, Gene wrote:
Here is what I'm pretty sure is the problem. You need to be in object navigation.  I've long maintained that object navigation should be automaticaly moved to when you switch from the program you were using screen review in.  Not being in object navigation but rather in screen review causes these commands not to work as described because they don't necessarily move properly as you move the cursor.  Issue the command numpad insert numpad 1 until you hear object navigation.  You can't accidentally go too far because if you issue it again, you will hear something like no more modes.  If I'm right about what's causing the problem, maybe the designers should take what I've said in the past more seriously.
and after you use screen navigation and are finished using it, always go back to object navigation.
When I hit numpad 8 to read current line, it reads a completely
different line.  Same with previous line, word or character ETC. The
tutorial was called getting started with NVDA.
On 12/8/2017 10:50 AM, Gene wrote:
> What do you mean when you say they don't work? Assuming the commands
> are doing something, what are they doing?
> Gene

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi

could i ask in what program are you trying to do it in?

On a desktop computer to go into screen review is the nvda key + 7 on the numeric keypad.

The commands given are review text or text review commands you can use with screen review.

Depending what you are trying to do you may need to route the mouse to that position? or activate a button with a object navigation command.

Make sure also your num lock key is turned off.

the other thing to is on the numeric keypad we can use screen review press the nvda key + 7 to go into that mode.

Using the nvda key + 1 on the numeric keypad will take you down the modes like document review I think it is called and object navigation.

the document review mode may only show in some applications. if it can.

using the nvda key + 7 will take you back through the modes if there this may change in each application to what it reveals.

Gene nz

On 12/9/2017 8:20 AM, Brice Mijares wrote:
[...]

you must be in object navigation mode for these commands to work as described in the section of the tutorial being worked with

Gene

[...]

It did not really make it clear what he was trying to do and in what program. I have not listened to all of his tutorials or the series ehe had done by Joseph.

I guess i will wait and see which program it is then see what he is doing wrong if he tells me.

Gene nz

On 12/9/2017 9:38 AM, Gene wrote:
[...]

Jean, First of all, I must have copied this tutorial "getting started with NVDA" from the web and pasted into Wordpad. I believe it was to help window eyes users transition into
NVDA.

--
Image NVDA certified expert

Brice Mijares

I need to read the help manual to get a better understanding of these modes. I think I'm confusing myself by using the up and down arrow keys to look at a line, then use the numpad 8 to see if I'm on that line. ETC. Thanks for the help.

On 12/8/2017 12:38 PM, Gene wrote:
[...]

Here's that brief tutorial. and I don't remember where I got it.
Here are the screen-reader commands you will need to know to allow you to do a lot of what you did before with Window-Eyes:
To unload NVDA, insert q then enter.
Read title bar, insert t.
Time, insert f12.
Announce formatting information, insert f.
Read current Window, insert b. In Window-eyes the command is control shift w.
Read to end, insert down arrow. Use the down arrow on the main keyboard. In the laptop layout, read to end is NVDA key a.
Stop speech with control, as with screen-readers in general.
Screen review
I'm about to discuss screen-review commands. those let you review the screen without changing the position of the cursor when editing a document, or changing where you are in a dialog or anywhere else. But first, I'll point out that Commands such as left arrow, right arrow, control home, control end, control left arrow, and control right arrow are Windows movement commands for moving in any standard edit field including word processor edit fields. None of them will change.
Screen review commands
Note the pattern as I give these commands:
Read previous line, numpad 7.
Read current line, numpad 8.
Read next line, numpad nine.
You move in screen review to the previous or next line when you issue those commands. You can keep moving and reading until you get to the top or bottom of the screen.
Read previous word, numpad 4.
Read current word, numpad 5.
Read next word, numpad 6.
Read previous character, numpad 1.
Read current character, numpad 2.
Read next character, numpad 3.
Note the pattern:
Read current is the key in the middle of each of these rows.
Move to and read previous is the key on the left.
Move to and read next is the key to the right.
The lower the numbers, the smaller the movement unit. 1 2 and 3 move by character.

4 5 and 6 move by word, etc.
Now, here are the laptop layout review commands:
Read current line, NVDA shift period
Move to and read next line, NVDA down arrow.
Move to and read previous line, NVDA up arrow.
Read current word, NVDA control period
Read previous word, NVDA control left arrow
Read next word, NVDA control right arrow
Announce current character, NVDA period.
Move to and read previous character, NVDA left arrow
Move to and read next character, NVDA right arrow.
After a little more discussion, I'll tell you how to change the keyboard layout to laptop.
Getting back to the review keys in the laptop layout, There are sort of patterns in the laptop layout but not the kind of uniform pattern as in the desktop layout. If I had a laptop computer without a numpad, I'd buy a USB numpad and not fool around with the laptop layout. But you can decide that for yourself. But aside from predictable keys such as that period is used for current, and that left and right arrows are used with modifiers, you can't generalize more. Such patterns are not followed in every previous and next item. In one of the previous and next items, up and down arrow is used.
More review commands and review modes
Here are two more important commands:
Jump to top of window, shift numpad 7. Laptop layout command: control NVDA key home.
Jump to bottom of window, shift numpad 9. Laptop layout command: Control NVDA key end.
I've said top and bottom of Window but that's oversimplified. It depends what kind of review mode you are using. I won't go into that to any extent in this very short tutorial.
A brief introduction to review modes
If you are reviewing material in a word processor, use the review commands I've given. If you are in a dialog or some other structures, in order to see what is on screen, change to screen review mode. to do this, use the command numpad insert numpad 7 in the desktop layout. In the laptop layout, the command is NVDA key page up. Issue the command and repeat it if necessary until you hear screen review. Then you can use the review commands such as numpad 7, 8 9, etc. to review what is on screen.
After you have finished working in screen review, it is very important to return to object review. Issue the command numpad insert numpad one in the desktop layout. the laptop layout command is NVDA Key page down. Repeat the command if necessary until you hear object review. If you don't do this, you will often hear incorrect information about where you are when you do various things in NVDA.
Changing keyboard layout
I shall now explain how to change the layout from the desktop to the laptop layout and discuss causing the caps lock to be used as an NVDA key. If you add capslock, you can still use either insert; there are times when caps lock is very convenient.
to open keyboard settings, issue the command control insert k. You are now in a list of layouts. the desktop is the default and the first in the list. If you want to switch to the laptop layout, down arrow once and then tab to and activate the ok button.
As you tab, you will notice check boxes about which keys serve as the NVDA key. Caps lock is not checked. Check it with the space bar. You can stay in the desk top layout and still tab and see these check boxes.
I use the caps lock key as an NVDA key often and I use the desktop layout. I find it much more convenient to use for the read to end command. I hold caps lock and press down arrow. That is, to me, much more convenient than using insert down arrow, regardless of which insert I use.
If you want to toggle caps lock on and off for typing, press it twice quickly. If you press it once and hold it, it serves as an NVDA key. If you press it twice quickly, it toggles caps lock on and off.
Mouse commands and review modes
To left click with the mouse, route the mouse to the review position with the command numpad insert numpad slash. That is the same command you left click wwith in Window-eyes. If you want to right click, route the mouse with the same command (numpad insert numpad slash), then use numpad star, the key immediately to the right of numpad slash. In other words, you right click with the same key you use in Window-eyes.
Screen review, though the commands are different, is similar in concept to using the mouse pointer in Window-eyes. Object navigation is different from any review mode in Window-eyes. I won't teach its use here but you will find a discussion of it in a tutorial I will give an address for later in this tutorial. Depending on how you use your computer, you may find it very useful.
That is just about all I will teach in this very short tutorial about screen review and mouse. As I said, its purpose is to allow you to do much of what you do with Window-eyes quickly and easily. But I'll tell you a few more things.
Internet browsing:
When you are on a web page, quick navigation commands are almost identical whether you are using NVDA or Window-eyes:
Move by headings is h.
Skip blocks of links is n.
Move to next button is b.
Next combo box is c.
Next check box is x.
Input help mode
NVDA has an input help mode which is similar to what is in Window-eyes. Insert and 1 on the main keyboard turns it on. When you press a key or combination of keys that might be a command, you will hear what the keys are and what, if any command they execute. This varies depending on where you are.
When in a browser that supports browse mode, typing a lot of individual letters will give you information about what the keys do in browse mode. I already gave much of that information above but you may want to press a lot of keys using input mode in a browser. To turn input mode off use the same command you used to turn it on, insert 1.
Additional information
To learn more about NVDA, a popular tutorial is available at:
http://www.josephsl.net/tutorials
On that page, you will see links to download different sections of the tutorial dealing with different subjects. You can also download the entire tutorial as a zip file.
There is also an e-mail list for NVDA users. To join, send a blank message to this address:
nvda+subscribe@nvda.groups.io
I hope that this tutorial has removed much of your apprehension about switching to NVDA. Now, as you wish or need, you may consult the tutorial I gave a link to. NVDA is a powerful screen-reader and it will meet a lot of users needs as well as JAWS or Window-eyes does. I hope this very short tutorial gives you a good foundation on which to build confidence that the transition should be much easier than you may have thought and that it will help make it much more enjoyable.

On 12/9/2017 9:38 AM, Gene wrote:
[...]

Heck, there is a lot of good info here. This is the first time I read the full content of this brief tutorial.

On 12/9/2017 9:38 AM, Gene wrote:
[...]

Unless you really like manuals, and even if you do, I hope you seriously consider using the tutorial I linked to yesterday or another one.  I haven't looked at any of the tutorials to any extent but I've talked with a number of people, all of them experienced Windows users and they all found the manual to be not very helpful on this subject.  it's typical dry manual writing.  Demonstration would, in my opinion for most people, be much more useful and clear.

Sent: Friday, December 08, 2017 4:38 PM

I need to read the help manual to get a better understanding of these
modes. I think I'm confusing myself by using the up and down  arrow keys
to look at a line, then use the numpad 8 to see if I'm on that line.
ETC. Thanks for the help.

On 12/8/2017 12:38 PM, Gene wrote:
> you must be in object navigation mode for these commands to work as
> described in the section of the tutorial being worked with
> Gene

Gene

The information is correct and I agree with the recommendation not to have the annoyance and frustration of using the laptop layout precisely because of the lack of consistency.  Also, note that what I said is said in the tutorial, make sure you are in object navigation for what you are doing.  the person doing the Window-eyes transition tutorial wisely didn't explain why to do the things he/she suggests.  It isn't prductive or practical to explain object navigation in a brief transition tutorial.
For now, remember that numpad insert numpad 7 moves you to screen review mode and numpad insert numpad 1 moves you to object navigation mode.  You may come across another mode while moving.  Ignore it.  The modes are announced so you will know what mode you are in.

Gene

> [...]

tutorial I gave a link to. NVDA is a powerful screen-reader and it will
meet a lot of users needs as well as JAWS or Window-eyes does. I hope
this very short tutorial gives you a good foundation on which to build
confidence that the transition should be much easier than you may have
thought and that it will help make it much more enjoyable.

> Hi
>

> It did not really make it clear what he was trying to do and in what
> program. I have not listened to all of his tutorials or the series ehe
> had done by Joseph.
>

> I guess i will wait and see which program it is then see what he is
> doing wrong if he tells me.
>

> Gene nz
>

> On 12/9/2017 9:38 AM, Gene wrote:
>> you must be in object navigation mode for these commands to work as
>> described in the section of the tutorial being worked with

Mary Otten

Hi Gene,

I guess I didn't follow this thread as closely as I perhaps should have. You said you linked to a tutorial yesterday. Can you send another link? If it is a text tutorial. I don't tend to like audio ones because they get to rambling too much. I do read manuals, mostly because they aren't rambling audio podcasts.

On 12/8/2017 6:19 PM, Gene wrote:
> [...]

tutorial I gave a link to. NVDA is a powerful screen-reader and it will
meet a lot of users needs as well as JAWS or Window-eyes does. I hope
this very short tutorial gives you a good foundation on which to build
confidence that the transition should be much easier than you may have
thought and that it will help make it much more enjoyable.

> Hi
>

> It did not really make it clear what he was trying to do and in what
> program. I have not listened to all of his tutorials or the series ehe
> had done by Joseph.
>

> I guess i will wait and see which program it is then see what he is
> doing wrong if he tells me.
>

> Gene nz
>

> On 12/9/2017 9:38 AM, Gene wrote:
>> you must be in object navigation mode for these commands to work as
>> described in the section of the tutorial being worked with

It isn't a text tutorial and I would say that you should listen to a little of this one to see if it rambles.
It is a well thought of tutorial and Joseph Lee is very knowledgeable and is well organized.  I haven't listened to the tutorial to any extent but I think it's worth listening to a few minutes of it to evaluate it unless you find something in text that you like..

The link is:

> [...]

tutorial I gave a link to. NVDA is a powerful screen-reader and it will
meet a lot of users needs as well as JAWS or Window-eyes does. I hope
this very short tutorial gives you a good foundation on which to build
confidence that the transition should be much easier than you may have
thought and that it will help make it much more enjoyable.

> Hi
>

> It did not really make it clear what he was trying to do and in what
> program. I have not listened to all of his tutorials or the series ehe
> had done by Joseph.
>

> I guess i will wait and see which program it is then see what he is
> doing wrong if he tells me.
>

> Gene nz
>

> On 12/9/2017 9:38 AM, Gene wrote:
>> you must be in object navigation mode for these commands to work as
>> described in the section of the tutorial being worked with

Thanks, Gene. I know Joseph is quite knowledgeable, so I plan to check this out.

Mary

On 12/8/2017 7:30 PM, Gene wrote:
> [...]

tutorial I gave a link to. NVDA is a powerful screen-reader and it will
meet a lot of users needs as well as JAWS or Window-eyes does. I hope
this very short tutorial gives you a good foundation on which to build
confidence that the transition should be much easier than you may have
thought and that it will help make it much more enjoyable.

> Hi
>

> It did not really make it clear what he was trying to do and in what
> program. I have not listened to all of his tutorials or the series ehe
> had done by Joseph.
>

> I guess i will wait and see which program it is then see what he is
> doing wrong if he tells me.
>

> Gene nz
>

> On 12/9/2017 9:38 AM, Gene wrote:
>> you must be in object navigation mode for these commands to work as
>> described in the section of the tutorial being worked with

I found the tutorial you are talking about it is written by the other Gene and can be found off the https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda-community/wiki/Switching-from-Window-Eyes-to-NVDA

the page it linked to was this one at https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda-community/wiki/Guides
I think they were under the wicki section.

Look in the user manual for reviewing text it is section 5.5 i think it is. Just under that section also says about some of the other modes.

What is said in this mode is what can be used in screen review mode and or with object navigation.

this type of commands is good say for reviewing menus etc either word by word or letter by letter.

I could give you examples of where they could be used this would be for review text which can be used with screen review when it is used.

Gene nz