From: Joe Hunter via Groups.Io
Sent: 09 December 2017 12:16
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] nvda as an exe file

Hi all tried to update nvda but it stops partway in the installation so

thought I would try to download an exe file on nvda's websight but could

not find sutch. is there an exe available yet. Joe

Joe Hunter <joehunter@...>

thanks criss but tried the exe file but my system is blocking it. My uac is at 34 percent tried to lower this to zearo but still blocking. I have a desktop running win10 hal or nvda. not quite sure what to do next?

On 12/9/2017 12:29 PM, Chris wrote:

Here you go

https://www.nvaccess.org/files/nvda/releases/2017.4/nvda_2017.4.exe

save it somewhere for future reference 😃

Hi all tried to update nvda but it stops partway in the installation so

thought I would try to download an exe file on nvda's websight but could

not find sutch. is there an exe available yet. Joe

Gene

What do you mean by is blocking it?  At this point, we have no way of knowing what is blocking it, an antivirus program that sees it as a false positive or something else?  UAC is very unlikely to have anything to do with the problem.  Specifically, what happens when you try whatever you are trying?  Are you able to download the file but not run it or can you not download the file?

Hi all tried to update nvda but it stops partway in the installation so

thought I would try to download an exe file on nvda's websight but could

not find sutch. is there an exe available yet. Joe

Chris

If its uac then you should get a yes/no dialog to allow access or not

It also may be your anti virus blocking it for some reason

A reboot first may resolve the issue if you have changed the uac level

Also another thing to check may be to check in properties of the downloaded file and under general tab make sure its not been blocked there

It is one of the checkboxesjust uncheck it and apply and ok

Hi all tried to update nvda but it stops partway in the installation so

thought I would try to download an exe file on nvda's websight but could

not find sutch. is there an exe available yet. Joe

Joe Hunter <joehunter@...>

saved the file and ran it from downloads folder and it ran untill it got to the first peace of music then it stated that it was upgrading previous versions of nvda and shows 0 were it stays at 0 with no progress. after trying to upgrade via the update and then looking at uac levels the levels show 100 percent sorry if I have explained clearly.

On 12/9/2017 12:57 PM, Gene wrote:
What do you mean by is blocking it?  At this point, we have no way of knowing what is blocking it, an antivirus program that sees it as a false positive or something else?  UAC is very unlikely to have anything to do with the problem.  Specifically, what happens when you try whatever you are trying?  Are you able to download the file but not run it or can you not download the file?

Hi all tried to update nvda but it stops partway in the installation so

thought I would try to download an exe file on nvda's websight but could

not find sutch. is there an exe available yet. Joe

Gene

You haven't described anything that indicates that it is blocked.  When troubleshooting, don't assume with no information.  When describing a problem, please give information about what happens as you did in your last message.  I'm not giving you a hard time, I'm saying that if you do that, you will get faster, better, and overall more accurate help.

there is no message from antimalware programs nor is there a message from UAC.  the program starts to run.  It gets to a certin point and then can't go further.  I don't know what the problem is but it is unlikely to be any sort of block.  perhaps technically knowedgeable people such as developers can offer suggestions.

Sent: Saturday, December 09, 2017 7:04 AM

[...]

Where is uac ?

you stated in a previous message you set it at 0% now you are saying its at 100%

[...]

Iván Novegil

If you're using W10 also verify that "control access to folder" in Windows Defender Security Center>Antivirus Protection>Settings is not enabled, it's causing some problems with NVDA.

Anyway please be more specific in your report including expected and observed behavior.

Regards.

Iván Novegil Cancelas
Editor
ivan.novegil@...

- www.NVDA.es

Usuario do NVDA en galego

***Note que a anterior mensaxe e/ou os seus adxuntos pode conter información privada ou confidencial. O emprego da información desta mensaxe e/ou dos seus adxuntos está reservado ao ámbito privado do destinatario agás autorización do remitente. Se recibiu esta mensaxe por erro comuníqueo por esta mesma vía e destrúa a mensaxe.***
O 09/12/2017 á(s) 14:03, Chris escribiu:

If its uac then you should get a yes/no dialog to allow access or not

It also may be your anti virus blocking it for some reason

A reboot first may resolve the issue if you have changed the uac level

Also another thing to check may be to check in properties of the downloaded file and under general tab make sure its not been blocked there

It is one of the checkboxesjust uncheck it and apply and ok

Hi all tried to update nvda but it stops partway in the installation so

thought I would try to download an exe file on nvda's websight but could

not find sutch. is there an exe available yet. Joe

hello.
i unfortunately have this problem.
two months ago, i downloaded nvda 17.3
today the exe file which i downloaded does not work and after openning
the file, i return to the folder and did not recieve any feedback or
music etc.
what should i do?
i dont have security programs, U.ac etc.
i checked general in property and did not see check box for indication
of blocking my file.
what should i do?
i appreciate your help, God bless all!

ivan.novegil@nvda.es

[...]

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
www.al-islam.org

Chris

Which version  Windows are you running?

On 12/9/17, iván Novegil <ivan.novegil@...> wrote:

> If you're using W10 also verify that "control access to folder" in

> Windows Defender Security Center>Antivirus Protection>Settings is not

> enabled, it's causing some problems with NVDA.

> Anyway please be more specific in your report including expected and

> observed behavior.

> Regards.

> Iván Novegil Cancelas

> Editor

> ivan.novegil@...

> Comunidad hispanohablante de NVDA | Proyecto NVDA.es

> - www.NVDA.es

> Usuario do NVDA en galego

> ***Note que a anterior mensaxe e/ou os seus adxuntos pode conter información

> privada ou confidencial. O emprego da información desta mensaxe e/ou dos

> seus adxuntos está reservado ao ámbito privado do destinatario agás

> autorización do remitente. Se recibiu esta mensaxe por erro comuníqueo por

> esta mesma vía e destrúa a mensaxe.***

> O 09/12/2017 á(s) 14:03, Chris escribiu:

>> If its uac then you should get a yes/no dialog to allow access or not

>> It also may be your anti virus blocking it for some reason

>> A reboot first may resolve the issue if you have changed the uac level

>> Also another thing to check may be to check in properties of the

>> downloaded file and under general tab make sure its not been blocked

>> there

>> It is one of the checkboxesjust uncheck it and apply and ok

as every one maybe know, i use xp!

On 12/9/17, Chris <chrismedley@btinternet.com> wrote:
Which version Windows are you running?

Hi all tried to update nvda but it stops partway in the
installation so

thought I would try to download an exe file on nvda's websight but
could

not find sutch. is there an exe available yet. Joe

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
www.al-islam.org

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
www.al-islam.org

Joe Hunter <joehunter@...>

ok time to clarify if possible. when I ran the up data my uac was set at 34 percent. after I tried to run nvda's updata and it stopped partway through the process.  I checked uac levels and it stated it was 100 percent so no I did not alter it my self ut the system altered itself.

On 12/9/2017 2:17 PM, Chris wrote:

[...]

If you are running XP then 17.4 will not install on XP

Use 17.3

> today the exe file which i downloaded does not work and after openning

> the file, i return to the folder and did not recieve any feedback or

> music etc.

> what should i do?

> i dont have security programs, U.ac etc.

> i checked general in property and did not see check box for indication

> of blocking my file.

> what should i do?

> i appreciate your help, God bless all!

> On 12/9/17, iván Novegil <ivan.novegil@...> wrote:

>> If you're using W10 also verify that "control access to folder" in

>> Windows Defender Security Center>Antivirus Protection>Settings is not

>> enabled, it's causing some problems with NVDA.

>> Anyway please be more specific in your report including expected and

>> observed behavior.

>> Regards.

>> Iván Novegil Cancelas

>> Editor

>> ivan.novegil@...

>> Comunidad hispanohablante de NVDA | Proyecto NVDA.es

>> - www.NVDA.es

>> Usuario do NVDA en galego

>> ***Note que a anterior mensaxe e/ou os seus adxuntos pode conter

>> información

>> privada ou confidencial. O emprego da información desta mensaxe e/ou dos

>> seus adxuntos está reservado ao ámbito privado do destinatario agás

>> autorización do remitente. Se recibiu esta mensaxe por erro comuníqueo

>> por

>> esta mesma vía e destrúa a mensaxe.***

>> O 09/12/2017 á(s) 14:03, Chris escribiu:

>>> If its uac then you should get a yes/no dialog to allow access or not

>>> It also may be your anti virus blocking it for some reason

>>> A reboot first may resolve the issue if you have changed the uac level

>>> Also another thing to check may be to check in properties of the

>>> downloaded file and under general tab make sure its not been blocked

>>> there

>>> It is one of the checkboxesjust uncheck it and apply and ok

That is odd joe, did you click ok when you changed the level?

[...]

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Yes this is what it has downloaded but it puts it into a temp file location.
I'd be more interested in exactly what is happening when it installs. If its bleeping and nothing is going on apart from that, then you are one of those affected by a peculiar problem that occurs, but nobody quite knows why. On the other hand if it seems to stop straight away, its probably the UAC prompt that others in this thread have already mentioned about and thus easy to sort.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

Hi all tried to update nvda but it stops partway in the installation so

thought I would try to download an exe file on nvda's websight but could

not find sutch. is there an exe available yet. Joe

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

If during the update that is just sitting there bleeping you do an alt tab, is there a hidden error. Might need you to boot in narrator to read it if nvda is suspended at that time.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

Hi all tried to update nvda but it stops partway in the installation so

thought I would try to download an exe file on nvda's websight but could

not find sutch. is there an exe available yet. Joe

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Are you still on xp?
I'm assuming you have an older version of nvda on the system then.
it might be anything at all. Anti virus or even that the file is damaged.

The question ids do other exe files still work? If yes then it has to be that file.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

Hi all tried to update nvda but it stops partway in the
installation so

thought I would try to download an exe file on nvda's websight but
could

not find sutch. is there an exe available yet. Joe

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
www.al-islam.org

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Oh that is unusual to say the least. What anti virus or other security have you got installed?