Request for comments: Should I record 2018 edition of Welcome to NVDA tutorials set?

Dear global NVDA community,

After reading recent threads on various NVDA lists and looking at some tweets, I find myself asking if I should do it again: record the 2018 edition of the popular “Welcome to NVDA” tutorials set. The thing is, there are more superb tutorials out now, including NV Access’s own Basic Training module. I do understand that many folks have come to know NVDA through my tutorials and some tutorials used mine as a reference or a guide.

For reference, the 2015 edition of this tutorials set can be found at:

http://www.josephsl.net/tutorials

If the community says I should record the 2018 edition, it’ll be done with some conditions:

  • The tutorial will be based on a combination of 2017.4 and latest snapshot features.
  • I’ll be using Windows 10 Version 1709 (Fall Creators Update).
  • I will not ask for payment for this set; if you insist on paying me, I’d rather ask you to donate to NV Access.
  • If possible, I’ll come up with a text transcript and a way for folks to provide edits via pull requests on GitHub.
  • I’ll be moving away from Internet Explorer for browse mode demonstrations, opting for Firefox and Microsoft Edge.

Below is a list of changes between 2015 and 2018 editions provided you say I should do it:

  • I’ll be using Windows OneCore voices for most speech demos.
  • Chapter 1 (Intro) will be expanded and re-recorded to improve recording quality, as well as adding additional information such as command line switches to start a portable copy after creating one and a note on Controlled Folder Access.
  • Chapter 2 (Basics) will go over more touchscreen possibilities, some command changes (including copying the contents of status bars) and others.
  • Chapter 3 (Objects and object navigation) will feature new examples, especially more universal app examples.
  • Chapter 4 (Browsing the web) will feature reading PDF documents with Microsoft Edge, turning off single letter navigation commands on the fly and elements list improvements.
  • Chapter 5 (Apps) will feature new and updated examples.
  • Chapters 6 and 7 (Configuration) will feature new settings, including Windows 10 OCR and many others.
  • Chapter 8 (tools) will feature content recognition.
  • Chapter 9 (Add-ons) will feature new and updated examples, including Remote Support add-on.
  • Addenda may include a word on ARM64 support, development snapshots and what not.

Comments are appreciated.

Cheers,

Joseph

Mary Otten

Hi Joseph,
In a word, yes. In two words, yes please. Smile. Up-to-date examples and examples looking forward with the latest technology I think would be useful. As a new NVDA user, I would find particularly useful.
Mary

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 9, 2017, at 8:53 AM, Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...> wrote:

[...]

hello joseph.
your tutorial and posts to the list are very great.
i remember my first experience using nvda with farsi translated of
your tutorial for nvda 2013
it was very great and helped me in many ways.
i realy wish that have your english tutorial and appreciate your help.
i sincerely pray for you every day and request divine infinite mercy
and special blessings for you!

[...]

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
www.al-islam.org

Arlene

I say, go for it. give updates. Please and thank you.

[...]

Gerardo Corripio

Yes yes go right ahead! Technology, especially in terms of computers, in 3 years evolves! So yes looking forward to when it's ready!

--
Gera
Enviado desde Thunderbird

David Tanner

 I think it would be a great idea.

It is always better to think before you reply!

On Dec 9, 2017, at 10:53 AM, Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...> wrote:

[...]

Sky Mundell

Hello Joseph. I say, go for it!  You rock!

[...]

Angela Delicata

Hi,

Please do it: I am starting to love nvda; it works great on Windows 10.

Thank you so much for what you do.

Angela from Italy

Il 09/12/2017 17:53, Joseph Lee ha scritto:
[...]

---
http://www.avg.com

Kwork

Yes, please! Your work is appreciated by many. The comments over the years have more than validated that. Updating the tutorials would be an awesome gesture as long as your life and time permit.
Travis

[...]

Devin Prater

Yes, even I would appreciate the universal apps and tools sections.

Devin Prater
Assistive Technology instructor in training, JAWS Sertified.

On Dec 9, 2017, at 12:19 PM, Kwork <istherelife@...> wrote:

[...]

Roger Stewart

I would say yes!  NVDA and many add ons have either been changed quite a bit or some features and add ons probably didn't even exists back then.  And I could always use a refresher course on what I think I already know!  There may be a few things I'm missing!

:-)

Thanks much!

Roger

On 12/9/2017 10:53 AM, Joseph Lee wrote:

[...]

Carlos

Hello Joseph:

    For those of us who have hearing impairment will there be an accessible text version of the tutorial?

    There are certain voices that when they pronounce certain words/phrases I have trouble understanding the spoken words/phrases!

    They still have not come up with a hearing aid that will adjust itself to different voice cadences.

    Thank You! For all the help that you provide to us NVDA users on a daily basis!!!

On 12/9/2017 8:53 AM, Joseph Lee wrote:

[...]

Carlos Gonzalez - Los Angeles, CA. - gmjc341961@...

Brice Mijares

Joseph, I'd surely appreciate it. I'm currently listening to the one you listed below and windows has changed considerably since. Thank You.

On 12/9/2017 8:53 AM, Joseph Lee wrote
:

[...]

Gary Metzler

[...]

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

OK, 1 make sure the voice is slow enough for new users. Most of the tutorials I hear on the internet are using voices running way too fast.
Next, I think that a little time needs to be spent in the snapshot tutorial about how to use Github without going bald. I am not that thick but I still find it cluttered and very hard to use.

Is Edge really any better for pdfs than Adobe? The big issue is as we all know the clueless people who compile them with no tagging of content reading order changes.

Firefox. Would you be using ESR or attempting to cover the new Quantum version which even when it can be made to function is still like a duck with a broken leg. OK in the water but tends to swim in circles a lot!

Also of course I know that you are about to embark in a major upgrade to nvda to use a version of Python better able to cope with newer systems, and this is bound to start throwing unexpected spanners into the air to fall who knows where for a while, so its a good time to get folk used to diagnosing and working around any problems by giving them a bit of a lesson in the logic to find where problems might be etc.
Just my few penneths worth.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

[...]

One of the nice things about using something like the MS voices is that you don't have to slow them down as much, even for new folks, because they sound a lot closer to human than do voices like e-speak or even eloquence.

Mary

----- Original Message ----- From: "Joseph Lee" <joseph.lee22590@gmail.com>
[...]

Hi,Firefox: I'll be using 52 SR, and yes, I'll be mentioning changes to
Quantum.
Regarding Python 3 and debugging: that's what devlearning list is for: folks
over there are just starting to learn how to find issues and debug them.
Cheers,
Joseph

[...]

Gene

I don't think it’s a good idea to have the voice be painfully slow, as accomodating new users might be for more experienced users.  I would suggest doing what I do in tutorials.  I have the speech speak at a good rate for experienced users, but I repeat things that are said so the inexperienced listener will know what has been said.  I haven't done a tutorial in quite some time and I don't recall if I say everything or just about everything the speech says, but I repeat everything as I move through a dialog, a ribbon, a menu, etc.  I repeat everything that matters so users can tell what they need to know.  My system accomodates both new and experienced synthesized speech users..

Sent: Saturday, December 09, 2017 5:47 PM

briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
> After reading recent threads on various NVDA lists and looking at some
> tweets, I find myself asking if I should do it again: record the 2018
> edition of the popular "Welcome to NVDA" tutorials set. The thing is,
> there
> are more superb tutorials out now, including NV Access's own Basic
> Training
> module. I do understand that many folks have come to know NVDA through my
> tutorials and some tutorials used mine as a reference or a guide.
>

> For reference, the 2015 edition of this tutorials set can be found at:
>
> http://www.josephsl.net/tutorials
>

> If the community says I should record the 2018 edition, it'll be done with
> some conditions:
>

> * The tutorial will be based on a combination of 2017.4 and latest
> snapshot features.
> * I'll be using Windows 10 Version 1709 (Fall Creators Update).
> * I will not ask for payment for this set; if you insist on paying me,
> I'd rather ask you to donate to NV Access.
> * If possible, I'll come up with a text transcript and a way for folks
> to provide edits via pull requests on GitHub.
> * I'll be moving away from Internet Explorer for browse mode
> demonstrations, opting for Firefox and Microsoft Edge.
>

> Below is a list of changes between 2015 and 2018 editions provided you say
> should do it:
>

> * I'll be using Windows OneCore voices for most speech demos.
> * Chapter 1 (Intro) will be expanded and re-recorded to improve
> recording quality, as well as adding additional information such as
> command
> line switches to start a portable copy after creating one and a note on
> Controlled Folder Access.
> * Chapter 2 (Basics) will go over more touchscreen possibilities, some
> command changes (including copying the contents of status bars) and
> others.
> * Chapter 3 (Objects and object navigation) will feature new examples,
> especially more universal app examples.
> * Chapter 4 (Browsing the web) will feature reading PDF documents with
> Microsoft Edge, turning off single letter navigation commands on the fly
> and
> elements list improvements.
> * Chapter 5 (Apps) will feature new and updated examples.
> * Chapters 6 and 7 (Configuration) will feature new settings,
> including Windows 10 OCR and many others.
> * Chapter 8 (tools) will feature content recognition.
> * Chapter 9 (Add-ons) will feature new and updated examples, including
> Remote Support add-on.
> * Addenda may include a word on ARM64 support, development snapshots
> and what not.
>

> Comments are appreciated.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Joseph

Hi all, mostly for Brian,

If you want to get a “preview” of what I’m thinking of doing, take a look at Windows 10 build series (same website as my current tutorials), especially the very last one (build 17025). That should give folks an idea as to what the “tutorial set” could sound like.

Cheers,

Joseph

> [...]

> command changes (including copying the contents of status bars) and
> others.
> * Chapter 3 (Objects and object navigation) will feature new examples,
> especially more universal app examples.
> * Chapter 4 (Browsing the web) will feature reading PDF documents with
> Microsoft Edge, turning off single letter navigation commands on the fly
> and
> elements list improvements.
> * Chapter 5 (Apps) will feature new and updated examples.
> * Chapters 6 and 7 (Configuration) will feature new settings,
> including Windows 10 OCR and many others.
> * Chapter 8 (tools) will feature content recognition.
> * Chapter 9 (Add-ons) will feature new and updated examples, including
> Remote Support add-on.
> * Addenda may include a word on ARM64 support, development snapshots

kavein thran

hi joseph,

You always make our life better by doing this tutorial, and goodwork
should not be delayed. Go for it, thank you

[...]

briang1@blueyonder.co.uk <mailto:briang1@blueyonder.co.uk> , putting 'Brian
Gaff'